RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

deepplaymedia

Nov 27, 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2454 views)
Shortcut

CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all,
I'm putting together a review of camera's that are good for climbing (for climbers taking snapshots more so than photographers)- the review is for the magazine i work for (www.cruxmag.com.au)
could you guys me out by chuckin in names of cameras that you reckon i should check out?

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 2:19 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deepplaymedia] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used the D70 and D200. More serious photographers use the D2X. Also, the D80 looks pretty good. All I know is Nikon, may want to get the beta on canon cameras as well.

builder604

Nov 27, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a canon S2IS and I love it. I actually just used it this weekend while climbing at manchester wall. The new version of the camera that just came out is the S3 IS.

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 2:56 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [builder604] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that a DSLR or a point and shoot? I have no idea as far as the Canons are concerned.

pyrrhonota

Nov 27, 2006, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the Olympus Stylus 720 SW. I have been looking at getting one of these because they say that it is waterproof and dropable (but not off a climb Tongue)

deepplaymedia

Nov 27, 2006, 3:03 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have shot with the D2x and can attest that is IS a great camera, but its not what i'm after- I want to know point&shoots that are convenient and affordable but well suited to climbing photography.
to reiterate- this is aimed at the average climber who wants some shots for memory's sake & might send me a shot once in while for the mag...NOT aimed at photographers!

builder604

Nov 27, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The S2 IS and the S3 IS are point and shoot cameras with full manual control. I think of it as one step down from a dslr. It has a large diameter lens not like most point and shoot cameras that have a lens the diameter of a quarter or less.

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 3:11 PM
Post #8 of 23 (2406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, i've been thinking about getting a little point and shoot to supliment my camera (for some stealth/easy bouldering photos.),

I'm curious to see what peeps pick for good Point and Shoots.

I'll have to check out those cameras you mentioned.

Several years ago, I had a point and shoot Sony that got me several guidebook shots. It was well made, and held up to my beatings pretty well.

deepplaymedia

Nov 27, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thstd exsctly what im after, thanks mate

dbrayack

Nov 27, 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, for about 400 bucks that thing looks pretty sharp, 6MP, a good optical zoom....

builder604

Nov 27, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah i think that the only significant difference between the S2 and S3 is the 6 mp, mine is 5mp. I do love the 12x zoom.

zealotnoob

Nov 27, 2006, 5:41 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THE adventure sport camera: Pentax Optio W20....7MP, pocket sized, rugged as hell, dust and waterproof...you can swim with this thing, take pics under water! I got it for $300 with a 2GB card, card reader, case, mini-tripod and charger.

gonzo2

Nov 28, 2006, 2:06 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there,

I've got a canon S70 point & shoot to take up when the DSLR gets too heavy. Its now be superceded by the S80 which has by the looks of it a slightly better interface and larger LCD.

The best things about it:
1. its compact (like a little brick). I keep it in a small lowerpro pouch on my harness with a cord thats just long enough that i can pull it out of the pouch (one handed) and pull it up to my eye. Its also been through a few chimneys (in its pouch) and other desperate routes and only has a small dent in it. The lens is protected by a sliding cover not a flimsy shutter.

2. lens - equivalent FOV of 28mm-100mm in 35mm film. most P&S cameras have start at about 35mm. Its also f2.8-5.6.

3. Full manual control as well as Av, Tv, etc. modes. The pics are noticeably better when stopped down compared to the auto modes.

4. Flash exposure compensation - great for fill flash, can dial it to -1.7ev or whatever you need. Also flash can be set manually in 3 increments.

5. Other funky stuff like spot meter

6. The S70 shots RAW. Unfortunately the S80 doesn't.

8. Nearly 3fps in JPG.

the S70 also used to take CF cards and the same battery as my 350D but i upgraded to 5D so :-(.

My GF has the canon S500 and the lens on the S70 is noticeably better - better contrast, colours, etc.

I think you can also get lens attachments for the new S80 ie. wide angle, but i think the quality is pretty ordinary.

bigfatrock

Nov 28, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #14 of 23 (2329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can't take good photos without a Canon Mark IIn so review that one ;)

jabarnes

Nov 28, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shoot all my serious shooting with the Nikon d80. I love it. A bit bulky for hauling around on granite so I take my old nikon coolpix 5400 point and shoot. Great little camera with 5.2 mg pxls and can shoot all manual mode and time lapse movies. They don't make it anymore but has been replaced with similiar models.

trenchdigger

Nov 28, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2298 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, everyone is going to have their own opinions, and here are mine...

I have two Point & Shoot cameras that I bring along on climbing trips when I don't want to haul the Canon 20D and bag full of lenses. Both are Panasonic cameras. The Panasonics in general stood out to me because of the Leica glass, image stabilization, and the fact that they lead the pack in minimizing shutter lag times.

The first (now a few years old) is the FZ3. All of the cameras in the FZ series (now up to FZ7) sport a 12x optical zoom (35-420mm equivalent!) and Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and full Manual control. Image stabilization makes the big zoom usable, and Leica-made glass makes for some very sharp images.

The other Panasonic I have is the LX1. The LX1 hits the other end of the focal length spectrum by combining a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio sensor with a 28mm equivalent lens. This gives one of the widest fields of view available in a point-and-shoot digital camera. 8mp is more than enough resolution, and the manual controls, RAW capability, low shutter lag, image stabilization, and leica glass top it off.

The most common complaint about the Panasonics is the image noise. Yes, it's present, and yes, moreso than with other cameras. But that's partially due to less in-camera processing which means you get to control the noise reduction in photoshop.

All in all, these are great cameras that seem to be geared toward more advanced photographers used to SLRs that are looking for more control, functionality, and quality in a small package.

deadhorse

Nov 28, 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pyrrhonota] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my buddy has that olympus jank (waterproof, droppable) For a point & shoot, it's pretty sick. he's shot underwater and everything, and when we get drunk he always ends up throwing it, no problems at all. & it's got a huge lcd. They make another camera in that line w/ good anti-shake.

as far as DSLR, i'm about to get a d50, because my research points to it, and I love nikon (fm10 & f3) no turning back.

trenchdigger

Nov 29, 2006, 4:20 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
as far as DSLR, i'm about to get a d50, because my research points to it, and I love nikon (fm10 & f3) no turning back.

Sounds like you have Nikon glass already and are pleased with Nikon... so you're on the right track - stay with them.

The best "research" you can do is to go to a shop and handle these cameras, play with the controls, and see which ones you prefer or are most similar to what you're used to. Just make sure to fondle before you buy (sounds kinda kinky).

deadhorse

Dec 1, 2006, 9:42 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

+1 on that- I was having a parralel convo w/ a climb partner last night- he was saying canon rebel because of the feel. For me, bigger handed, it's the opposite (canon's ergo is the worst for me). Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks.

karlbaba

Dec 3, 2006, 4:04 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

People should really read the question before they go off with inappropriate answers. Non-photographers are not going to bring heavy, bulky, $1000 cameras up climbs.

Check out new Canon sd800. Image stabilization and a wide angle lens are two big pluses for a climbing camera and it's super light and tiny. You can lead right up to your full grade with in on your butt. Try that with a DSLR.

Peace

Karl

ninja_climber

Dec 3, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #21 of 23 (2164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Canon Rebel XTi , which works perfectly for me. I use it for everything from landscape photos to quick bouldering shots. 3 lenses for it, an 18mm-55mm,a 55mm-200mm, and 15mm Fisheye.

bbziger

Dec 3, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second what pyrrhonota said about checking out the Olympus 720SW. It's shockproof, can be dropped five feet without damage, and is waterproof to 10 feet. It's small enough to stick in your pocket and forget it's there until you need it.

It has a metal housing and lens cover that does a good job protecting the guts and optics of the camera. I've gouged and dented the housing on mine, but it still works fine. I've taken it kayaking in seawater several times without any subsequent problems.

As a small P&S, it has its limitations. I wouldn't want it as my only digital. But for its purpose as a sturdy lightweight camera for climbing, kayaking and hiking, it's serving me well.

Bruce

apoorva

Dec 5, 2006, 6:41 AM
Post #23 of 23 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbziger] CAMERA REVIEW FOR MAGAZINE- Please contribute [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Ricoh GRs... the film version. Thought about getting the digital version but I haven't like the reviews (or the snaps I've seen). The lens is awesomely sharp, fixed 28mm, with manual aperture control and ev. Awesome little camera.. if only the d version was better. I like the look of the Lumix series, especially the 16.9 ratio of images - perfect for landscapes and climbing. I also have the Olympus C60, which is built like a brick. Carried that up and got really good looking pictures; but the focal starts at 38mm, which isn't wide enough for me.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook