RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

anson

Dec 4, 2006, 6:46 AM
Post #1 of 3 (510 views)
Shortcut

Suggestion: Watched Threads enhancements
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The 'Watched Threads' feature of the site leaves a lot to be desired. I would like to suggest the following enhancements:

1) Display the list (which is currently basically just a page to help you manage the list, not a status page for the listed items) in the same format as the home page of a forum, plus a column for which forum the thread is from. Similarity of form creates ease of use.

2) No matter the layout, indicate whether I've read all the postings in the thread. This saves me a trip to my inbox.

3) Consider adding together 'threads containing posts by me' to 'threads I am watching' and 'forums I am subscribed to' into a 'My Forum' list that allows power users to easily keep up on threads across the parts of the site that interest them.

4) In order to enable #3 to truly be an effective way of interacting with the site, allow users to disable emails for watched threads and subscribed forums.

And on a related note:

5) Rename 'forum subscription' to 'watched forum' to match 'watched thread'. The functionality is basically the same; using the same word to describe the functionality will mean less of a learning curve for users. The fact that you use the phrase 'you can unsubscribe from watched threads' in the 'watched threads' page's explanation seems to me proof that the terminological differentiation is unnecessary.

My two cents; YMMV.

-aB

Partner coldclimb

Dec 4, 2006, 7:02 AM
Post #2 of 3 (509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anson] Suggestion: Watched Threads enhancements [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great points Anson. I've been wondering, are you involved at all in the coding here anymore? Or is that all entirely up to the Gossamer folks?

anson

Jan 26, 2007, 4:48 AM
Post #3 of 3 (489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] Suggestion: Watched Threads enhancements [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not involved in the coding any more, I'm afraid. I've got enough coding to do at work these days that it's not much fun to do in my spare time these days. Besides, Gossamer is implemented in a programming language I don't enjoy working in. Thanks for asking, though! I hope things are treating you well these days.

-aB

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook