Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

calii22

Dec 5, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #26 of 34 (700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thefleck] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So really though Sharma was on actual television that is pretty rad. I like that guy. I wish i would have saw it. Man i cant wait to see the future of climbing. Its funny that he was on tv though considering he probley doesnt own one. That is way awsome.

thefleck

Dec 5, 2006, 8:09 AM
Post #27 of 34 (687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [live2climb] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I think it's pretty awesome too. About the chalk, apparently he swims over to the arch with a drybag and brings about 10 pairs of shoes and chalk bags with him every day. There's a pretty cool picture of them all layed out to dry in Rock & Ice.

About bigUP picture quality...it's definitely improved since Rampage. Dosage three and four are pretty good in that respect. I think it has more to do with the quality of hand-held video cameras than funding...although they've definitely got more money these days too.

And live2climb, one segment at 12 on a Saturday is hardly going to ruin the world of climbing. There's plenty of rock for everyone, stop being biggot.

Partner tradman

Dec 5, 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #28 of 34 (667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thefleck] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If a piece of rock has been climbed, and especially if it has bolts in it - it's spoiled already.

No point in arguing over who's spoiling more than who.

miavzero

Dec 10, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #29 of 34 (589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wzrdgandalf wrote:
I would like to point out what happened with Hueco. The place was brought up as a destination for climbing and then after years of misuse, it was changed into a park where you need a guide to enter most areas. It was used by far too many people who didnt care about the land and trounced all over million year old petroglyphs. The finger should not be pointed just at the new generation of climbers. Instead of looking at the onslaught of public eyes on our sport as a bad thing, we can look at it as a chance to make it more organized and healthy for the land and rock we climb on.

million year old petroglyphs?

wzrdgandalf

Dec 10, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #30 of 34 (501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

exhageration

braaaaaaaadley

Dec 10, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #31 of 34 (437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny, but... back to the topic.

The dyno was pretty sick, but what impressed me more was the moves immediately following the dyno. That sequence looked really hard and Sharma seemed not to be too bothered by that small detail. And those that were saying that the dyno was low are crazy... he must have been at least 50-60 feet off the "deck"... and thats a long way to fall w/o a rope even if it is into water. Have you ever jumped 60 feet into water... its not exactly a good feeling at impact.

emptybottles

Dec 10, 2006, 9:31 PM
Post #32 of 34 (413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [braaaaaaaadley] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We stumbled across it last sunday watching the nfl, and my non-climbing friends were fucking amazed. I explained a few things to them, and they were constantly saying stuff like:

"That's ridiculous"
"Does gravity not apply to him?"
"What is he holding on to?"
"Good god, that's gotta hurt your fingers."

and so on. It was my first time ever seeing a climbing video, and I was extremely impressed with the quality. I'd read the R&I article, and you could tell it was an exceedingly hard climb, but the video really brought it home. Sharma looked pretty damn smooth and confident on the send. Also, anyone know anything about liquid chalk? Either they mentioned it in the segment, or I read it somewhere, but apparrently that's what he's using on Pontas.

collegekid

Dec 10, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #33 of 34 (400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [emptybottles] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

emptybottles wrote:
We stumbled across it last sunday watching the nfl, and my non-climbing friends were fucking amazed. I explained a few things to them, and they were constantly saying stuff like:

"That's ridiculous"
"Does gravity not apply to him?"
"What is he holding on to?"
"Good god, that's gotta hurt your fingers."

and so on. It was my first time ever seeing a climbing video, and I was extremely impressed with the quality. I'd read the R&I article, and you could tell it was an exceedingly hard climb, but the video really brought it home. Sharma looked pretty damn smooth and confident on the send. Also, anyone know anything about liquid chalk? Either they mentioned it in the segment, or I read it somewhere, but apparrently that's what he's using on Pontas.

Liquid chalk is basically chalk dissolved in alcohol, so that when you apply it to your hands, the alcohol evaporates leaving an even coat of chalk on your hands. I don't like it because it is TOO effective and dries out your skin, which is probably why sharma is using it.

Regardless of how hard the climb is, that is a rad looking place to climb. I'd be all over that if it was about 5 decimal grades easier. Sharma is a lucky lucky man, to call that his job.

milominderbinder

Dec 10, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #34 of 34 (390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [braaaaaaaadley] Anyone catch Sharma send his Arch project on NBC today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

braaaaaaaadley wrote:
The dyno was pretty sick, but what impressed me more was the moves immediately following the dyno. That sequence looked really hard and Sharma seemed not to be too bothered by that small detail. And those that were saying that the dyno was low are crazy... he must have been at least 50-60 feet off the "deck"... and thats a long way to fall w/o a rope even if it is into water. Have you ever jumped 60 feet into water... its not exactly a good feeling at impact.

I believe he says in the teaser, or if not there then the R&I article, that the exit after the dyno is actually the crux of the route. It just took him dozens of tries to get the dyno too. Also, I believe the dyno is supposed to be ~35ft above the water. I also remember getting that from either the teaser or the magazine article.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook