RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

kutztowncowboy

Dec 4, 2006, 9:17 PM
Post #1 of 4 (711 views)
Shortcut

Endurance and Stamina Excercises
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I have been climbing for about a year now (so yes, I'm a noob) and haven't had a chance to climb for about 2 months because of moving to a new city, new job, all that stuff. I finally got back to the climbing gym yesterday, and felt like crap, I had no endurance or stamina on my climbs, my technique felt like I was starting all over, and my arms and fingers were giving up on me (I couldn't hold a crimp for more than a couple seconds by my third climb Unsure). So my question is... My job involves a lot of sitting at a desk and driving for sales calls (I'm in the corporate world now) and I want to know what exercises there are I can do (EVERY EXERCISE YOU CAN THINK OF WOULD BE APPRECIATED) to help me get back into climbing shape. I have a tennis-ball at my desk that I use to try and get my grip back and finger strength, but I'm looking for all sorts of ideas (Without my boss yelling at me lol). Thanks for the help.

fluxus

Dec 4, 2006, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 4 (696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kutztowncowboy] Endurance and Stamina Excercises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has been discussed a number of times you can do a search.

But I will say this, the very best thing you can do is to structure your time well at the gym and at the crag. If you are climbing 2 - 3 days per week that's enough to make good gains quickly.

You need to climb in a way that places emphasis on a high volume of low to moderate intensity climbing. ARCs, Continuous and Vairable Intensity Repetitions (C.I.R. and V.I.R.) are your most powerful tools and they have all been defined on this site a number of times.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find something that you can use in the office or while driving, the chances of these devices making an impact on your climbing are pretty slim.

If you can't climb 2 - 3 days per week then having something at home like a system wall or a hang board, is about all you can do.

mturner

Dec 4, 2006, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 4 (689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kutztowncowboy] Endurance and Stamina Excercises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to sound cliche and like Captain Obvious, but by far the most effective, quickest way to gain endurance for climbing is to get as much mileage as you can on the rock. Just keep climbing and do it as consistantly as possible and those days of feeling like crap after taking a lot of time off will diminish.

ahwoo

Dec 5, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #4 of 4 (574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Endurance and Stamina Excercises [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

can't really think of anything other than getting one of those gyro ball grip thingamajigs. fiddling with the metolius and BD grip trainers just don't seem to do much. the gyro gives me a good forearm pump. other than that, i don't think there's much you can really do

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook