First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner epoch

Dec 8, 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #1 of 49 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Friday, non-holed, Coffee....
Report this Post
Can't Post

In every country that makes bread, there arises the question of what to do with the leftover scraps of dough. In England, they dropped the bits into soup or water, and made dumplings. But in Holland and in Germany, cooks dropped the extra into boiling oil, and made fry-cakes, or olie-koecken. The Dutch fancied up their leftovers a bit more by shaping them into decorative knots (dough knots), and rolling in sugar afterwards.

The Puritans found these little cakes a pleasure during their stay in Holland, and took the method with them to the New World. They found a similar dish in the Native American fried bread, a situation that would cause a bit of confusion later on when culinary historians tried to track down the origins of the confection.

Doughnuts have long been associated with holiday festivities. The Dutch and German made them as a Christmas specialty. Later, Europeans would make them an important part of the pre-Lent festivities. Mardi Gras wouldn't be the same without beignets (the French version of the doughnut) or the fastnachtkuches (literally, fasting night cakes-the same dish under a different name) of the Germanic peoples.

Although crullers, maple bars, and twists all have the same basic flavor of a doughnut, it is the latter's distinct shape, with the hole in the middle that really identifies it. How did the shape change from the original diamond? Germanic countries already had cookies and cakes with a hole in the middle, usually referred to as a 'jumble'. (The word developed from a two-finger ring called a gimbel.) So the shape itself was something already familiar to cooks of that area, and many think that the jumble was a strong influence on the hole-in-the-middle-doughnut.

Americans disagree though, especially those in Maine. In a house in Rockport, Maine there is a plaque that recognizes Mason Crockett Gregory with the invention of the doughnut hole, in 1847. The reason why? He hated doughnuts with an uncooked center. (Or perhaps he was just particularly impatient-they cook much quicker without a center) Skeptics point out that Gregory was a sea captain, however, and may well have encountered the jumble version of the confection on his travels, and brought the idea home with him. (This would seem to be the truth behind the legend of a sea captain placing the doughnut on the wheel of his ship for safe-keeping, and then just becoming enamored of the idea.)

In any doughnut case there are yeast style and cake style. The yeast type is closer to its origins as leftover bread. This version is deceptively light, with a good deal of air between the layers. The cake style on the other hand, with a heavy, dense body, was a later development-essentially fried cake dough.

If you are lucky enough to live in area with a Krispy Kreme franchise, you owe it to yourself to try them. Regarded by most connoisseurs as the lightest of yeast doughnuts, the merely glazed are an absolute treat. If you're in the mood for a greater indulgence, try any of their filled ones. Dunkin' Donuts has wider national coverage, and many are fond not only of the Boston-creme filled, but of the coffee as well. This writer would prefer to do without than eat one, though-always too greasy and heavy for my taste. The best place to find a great doughnut is the nearly extinct mom-and-pop bakeries or farmer's markets. Homemade, created with care, these little gems are a taste of nostalgia, and the more delicious for it.

Coffe is fresh. Mainers know how to rock the doughnut!! There is leftover eggs and bacon in the fridge. Help yourself.
Get your doughnut on.

LMWB version (AKA ADHD version): Wake up. Get in car. Drive to doughnut shop. Fight with fat cops. Get coffee. Get your doughnut on.

Note: The extremely long coffee thread OP is my retort to not having embedded images...

carabiner96

Dec 8, 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #2 of 49 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I miss maine donuts. there's really nothing like them.

Am recovering from last night, I think i may still be a little drunk...also have many bruises i don't remember how i got and my thigh looks like i got impaled by a moose. My bum also has lots of smack marks on it....

Great time....epic.....

edited to add i just found out i lost my panties. dammit. some drunk whore prolly stole em from my pile.

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Dec 8, 2006, 12:59 PM)

Partner tradman

Dec 8, 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #3 of 49 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my thigh looks like i got impaled by a moose.

Shocked

Xxxxtra strong coffee and some fine US style donuts please!

Can you believe we don't even have a Krispy Kreme franchise in this country?

DAMN!

Have a great day all!

(This post was edited by tradman on Dec 8, 2006, 12:58 PM)

reno

Dec 8, 2006, 1:11 PM
Post #4 of 49 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradman] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Krispy Kremes here are closing down.... they've got a "600 donuts per hour" making machine for auction, if anyone is interested.

I'm heading to JTree for the weekend. Y'all be good, have fun, and someone bring me a large black coffee in a go-cup.

Partner tisar

Dec 8, 2006, 1:32 PM
Post #5 of 49 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Morn' folks!

Quick correction/clarification on the German part:

Our version of the donut is - depending on the regional dialekt - called Pfannkuchen (Berlin), Krebbel (Hessia) or Berliner (most other parts of Germany) [when JFK was in Germany, stating that 'ick bin ein Berliner', he wouldn't have known that half of Germany thougth of a delicious snack...]. 'Fastnachtkuchen' is not German, though it might be understood in the context.

The Pfannkuchen comes without a hole in the middle - naturally, since it's filled either with marmelade (plum being the most popular version) or eggnogg. Or - and here comes the fastnacht/carneval part - with mustard.

Though you can buy them whole year through, in most parts of Germany it is a tradition to eat Pfannkuchen on 11/11, 11.11h as to celebrate the beginning of the carneval season aka 5th season. Normally the boss brings them in to work, and one of the whole load is filled with mustard. The rest you might imagine.

Anyway, I'll take it American style today.

Have a nice one!

- Daniel

thomasribiere

Dec 8, 2006, 1:54 PM
Post #6 of 49 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tisar] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

'biner, shouldn't you spice our coffee with a little something expected from yesterday evening?

carabiner96

Dec 8, 2006, 2:03 PM
Post #7 of 49 (1078 views)
Shortcut

Adult Content
This post contains nudity or adult content. To protect the innocent we require that you register and turn off your Adult Content Filter to read it.
Attachments:  

arrettinator

Dec 8, 2006, 2:17 PM
Post #8 of 49 (1072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Morning yinz.
Talk about a let down, biner.
Have a good one yinz.

Partner wideguy

Dec 8, 2006, 3:12 PM
Post #9 of 49 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arrettinator] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah very dissappointing biner.

The Krisy Kremes down here by me are closing too. Their glazed are nice when warm and fresh but definietly sub-par in all varieties when cooled. Dunking Donuts, Honey Dew or Tim Hortons all make a superior product as cake style donuts go.

The local bagel bakery, Zeppy's, make awesome fresh donuts though. But their bagels are the tops. I suggest a bagel retropective next. I'll take a nice slightly toasted everything bagel, where the garlic and onion bits are still moist and get stuck in your teeth, with plain cream cheese please.

Partner macherry

Dec 8, 2006, 3:15 PM
Post #10 of 49 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i heart epoch, you know donuts are my favorite.

yummy, there should be a kk franchise in every town, everywhere, much like starbucks........and i could live without starbucks. When i was a young girl my grandmother lived with us. I would come home for lunch and she would have fresh made donuts for us kids. they were so amazing. She started my donut addiction.

quick coffee today. the rest of the lifts open today at the ski hill. yahoo!! This is my last kick at the can for free time.....i start work on on monday. But, good news, i'll have internet hook up at my new work digs. the addiction to rc lives on!!!!!

Partner epoch

Dec 8, 2006, 3:16 PM
Post #11 of 49 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
I suggest a bagel retropective next.

I'll look up the info and pull something together. If I'm the first one in on Monday, I'll open up shop. But it's someone else's turn next week....

Partner taino

Dec 8, 2006, 3:19 PM
Post #12 of 49 (1041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Am recovering from last night, I think i may still be a little drunk...also have many bruises i don't remember how i got and my thigh looks like i got impaled by a moose.

Your boyfriend slipped, eh?

carabiner96 wrote:
edited to add i just found out i lost my panties. dammit. some drunk whore prolly stole em from my pile.

You wear panties? Why? They just get in the way. *snort*

You want a nekkid bike ride... go to Mt. Snow for the NORBA Nationals. Every year, on the Saturday night, they have the Naked Criterium.

Holy mother of God. *shock*

T

(This post was edited by taino on Dec 8, 2006, 3:22 PM)

Partner wideguy

Dec 8, 2006, 3:21 PM
Post #13 of 49 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK so My wife just sent me the following photo essay

http://img.photobucket.com/...9/wideguy/climb1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...9/wideguy/climb2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/...9/wideguy/Climb3.jpg

LOL!

(and yes, my livingroom is a mess.)

(This post was edited by wideguy on Dec 8, 2006, 3:22 PM)

Partner macherry

Dec 8, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #14 of 49 (1028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chad, she's trouble with a capital T!!!!!

Partner taino

Dec 8, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #15 of 49 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

LOL!

SWEET! Great shots of Nano-wide!

Lynn Hill, eat your heart out!

T

Partner wideguy

Dec 8, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #16 of 49 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taino wrote:
You want a nekkid bike ride... go to Mt. Snow for the NORBA Nationals. Every year, on the Saturday night, they have the Naked Criterium.
T

Tai, no offense, but I would MUCH rather see Biner on a naked bike ride than YOU on a naked bike ride.

Partner taino

Dec 8, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #17 of 49 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
taino wrote:
T

Tai, no offense, but I would MUCH rather see Biner on a naked bike ride than YOU on a naked bike ride.

For the record, I have never ridden the Naked Criterium. It's reserved for the racing professionals - the ones who compete at the Nationals, both men and women. We mere mortals just watch, take pictures, and drink. And take more pictures.

The amount of toned, female flesh is... ... excuse me.

T

(This post was edited by taino on Dec 8, 2006, 3:29 PM)

Partner wideguy

Dec 8, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #18 of 49 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I'm in deep, deep trouble. I've got quite a stack of photos builing up of Sabrina climbing. Stemming between two couches, standing on her window sill, standing on top of her dresser, balanced on to of her crib side rail. (Little scary, that one)

I need to get her out on some rocks this summer before she gets old enough to realize what dangerous is.
http://smg.photobucket.com/...current=Pict0671.jpg

That's Tim at the anchor of one of the easy practice climbs locally. We may be a whole climbing family yet!

(This post was edited by wideguy on Dec 8, 2006, 3:35 PM)

fenix83

Dec 8, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #19 of 49 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buenos días gente!

I just got back from my mom's bakery (had to drop off a few things) and I loaded the back of the car with baked goods for you fine folks. Homemade donuts and sticky buns are particularly good today.

I'll take a cortado, a sticky bun and a place on the couch...

-F

Partner taino

Dec 8, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #20 of 49 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh... much better.

Oh, crap. Must wash hands.

BRB

T

Partner macherry

Dec 8, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #21 of 49 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenix83] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fenix83 wrote:
Buenos días gente!

I just got back from my mom's bakery (had to drop off a few things) and I loaded the back of the car with baked goods for you fine folks. Homemade donuts and sticky buns are particularly good today.

I'll take a cortado, a sticky bun and a place on the couch...

-F

your mom has a bakery...........drool!!!!!

fenix83

Dec 8, 2006, 3:58 PM
Post #22 of 49 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, and arguably one of the two best in town. Guess who does all of the new product testing?

Part of the CR welcome for climbers is a trip to the bakery, and it's a staple in all road trips.

-F

the_climber

Dec 8, 2006, 4:00 PM
Post #23 of 49 (1016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mornin all!

Mmmmmmm doughnuts *insert Homer Simpson sound*

macherry, Thanks to your thread yesterday I had to go on a Danish Butter Cookie hunt while grocery shopping yesterday.

I'll take some of that coffee and a slab of that bacon for the dog. The dog who found freedon when I didn't close the door fast enough and has to run down the street after him in my slippers. You would not believe how fast a bullmastiff can run!
I have an afternoon x-mass party for the pipeline group at work... get off an hour early! I've been told there will be "Refreshments and Hors D’oeuvers" oooohhhooaaahhhhhhh Refreshments and Hors D’oeuvers! Does that mean beer and wings? or Fancy stuff? hehehe.

Partner brent_e

Dec 8, 2006, 5:09 PM
Post #24 of 49 (1002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

LOL!

LOLOL

she's cute! nice moves, too!!!!

Thanks for the donut study, Jay!
We've got mostly Tim Horton's in Onterrible, as they pretty much have run Dunkin Donuts or any other donut establishment out of town, although some say dunkin's coffee is superior. Tim Horton's is almost as Canadian as Hockey, Wayne Gretzky, maple leaves, and beavers.

Although I hear these days starbucks is pretty big on the west coast. Haven't been for many years.

da_climba wrote:
I have an afternoon x-mass party for the pipeline group at work... get off an hour early! I've been told there will be "Refreshments and Hors D’oeuvers" oooohhhooaaahhhhhhh Refreshments and Hors D’oeuvers! Does that mean beer and wings? or Fancy stuff? hehehe.

morning Brenden,
if you wear a tie to work it might mean something else. If not, prolly beer 'n wings!

hey, nate and I did some ice this morn!!!!!! it was shite, but it was white and freezy.

(This post was edited by brent_e on Dec 8, 2006, 5:11 PM)

snoangel

Dec 8, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #25 of 49 (987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Friday, non-holed, Coffee.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Morning!

Adorable pics, wide!

And pass me a donut, please. DD preferred over KK. I love the ones that are filled with frosting. It's like eating cake for breakfast. Yummy!

Hey 'biner, is that a picture of your "man meat"??Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook