Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

AngusBeefheart

Dec 24, 2006, 9:25 PM
Post #1 of 63 (4098 views)
Shortcut

getting the full bang out of gatorade
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i found this out from one of my buddies who runs track. Apparently the normal gatorade bottle (those 32 once squat ones) was originally designed to be dumped into a 5 gallon cooler of water. If you drink it straight your body can't process the high concentration of electrolytes and most of them just pass through you completely wasted. Since then I've been diluting my gatorade or powerade with water and have noticed that it does seem much more re-enervating after a long pitch (although that could just be placebo). Plus one bottle ends up lasting all weekend and it doesn't taste nearly as terrible as the full concentration stuff.

jeremy11

Dec 24, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #2 of 63 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AngusBeefheart] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I often drink gatorade and juice watered down a lot too. the idea is to drink water and lots of it with a little bit of flavor, sugar and salts, not a bit of water with the sugar.

johnathon78

Dec 24, 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #3 of 63 (4073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats some good info, sometimes I like to keep my poop in a jar. Not all the time..... just sometimes.

coastal_climber

Dec 24, 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #4 of 63 (4070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnathon78] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its supposed to be Half & Half.

pixelguru

Dec 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #5 of 63 (4043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I buy Gatorade in powder form. It's more economical, easier to carry home, and I can mix it to any concentration I like. The only downside is that less flavors are available as powder - usually only lemon-lime and orange.

organic

Dec 25, 2006, 1:01 AM
Post #6 of 63 (3997 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hardly see how this is logical in any sense. why would they waste their money when they could dilute it 1:20 and then sell it to you for the same price?

Different people and different conditions are going to change the homeostasis of the body making different conc. of electrolytes necessary for different people. For physical activity though I heard a speaker recently who was sponsored by gatorade and attributes some of the affects of gatorade to maintaining plasma glucose levels and of course to prevent dehydration.

If the electrolyte levels where as high as you say, you most likely would be very thirsty after drinking gatorade, your body's mechanism to return to homeostasis.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...6/nutri/fluidq4.html

Many websites say that if anything gatorade has the minimum amounts of electrolytes that scientists say are optimal or less than the minimum.

Seems you have been duped

c22

Dec 25, 2006, 2:14 AM
Post #7 of 63 (3974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [organic] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I too find gatorade to be somewhat lacking, but it seems to me that adding a little pharmaceutical grade cocaine does the trick just fine.

milominderbinder

Dec 25, 2006, 3:40 AM
Post #8 of 63 (3925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

organic wrote:
Different people and different conditions are going to change the homeostasis of the body making different conc. of electrolytes necessary for different people. For physical activity though I heard a speaker recently who was sponsored by gatorade and attributes some of the affects of gatorade to maintaining plasma glucose levels and of course to prevent dehydration.

Well that hardly makes your source credible now, does it? Didn't have time at the moment to actually read your link, but as I understand it, gatorade does not actually function well for hydration purposes, because of the reasons you hypothesized.

Look at tour de france riders...They take their gatorade and mix it with at least an equal part water...If anything, the habits of a super endurance athlete like that (with a large training staff) may shed light on the answer you are looking for, not a sponsored speaker.

gunkiemike

Dec 25, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #9 of 63 (3905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

organic wrote:
...attributes some of the affects of gatorade to maintaining plasma glucose levels

And all these years we though it only boosted blood sugar levels.

jakedatc

Dec 25, 2006, 6:22 AM
Post #10 of 63 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.gssiweb.com/

Gatorade's sports science site.. way too many articles to link but they don't just throw a product out there for giggles.. they do tons of testing for taste while exercising.. hydration.. etc etc

i have no idea where that single bottle per 5 gal came from but that wouldnt do shit.. considering the small canisters of powder makes 2 gal.. i think the larger containers make 10 gal..

where are people's sources.. lol "i heard from a guy who once read something blah blah"

musicman1586

Dec 25, 2006, 9:49 AM
Post #11 of 63 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty sure about 2 years ago in like Popular Science or some magazine like that they published an article that was supposed to show once and for all that just plain water is better than anything else out there, including gatorade, and since then I've had trouble finding that info, guessing someone got paid to shut up or so, but I remember it was a good read, and in all honesty it does kind of make sense, because were evolved to use the universe's greatest solvent (h20 for those non-science types) most efficiently, it's what were designed to sustain ourself with as is most life on earth, so like I said, think it's logical that such an important thing would be the most important thing in all circumstances.

notch

Dec 25, 2006, 2:39 PM
Post #12 of 63 (3799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c22] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

c22 wrote:
I too find gatorade to be somewhat lacking, but it seems to me that adding a little pharmaceutical grade cocaine does the trick just fine.
Skip that. I just buy powdered Gatorade and do lines.

jakedatc

Dec 25, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #13 of 63 (3782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
evolved to use the universe's greatest solvent

exactly... which if used too much will flush needed electrolytes out of your body and actually leave you worse off..

Condition called hyponatremia.
In reply to:
in which their blood sodium concentration falls to an abnormally low level, usually from drinking too much water.

http://www.amaasportsmed.org/news_room/hyponatremia_reuters.htm

I remember the article you're talking about.. but for one there is never a "show once and for all" research is happening all the time and new things are tested. Gatorade has been at this since 1965 and has found a good balance (for the majority of people) of flavor, carbs, electrolytes and water.. Sure for you it maybe too strong.. but you're in a minority.

where's JT512 when we need him.. Jaaaaay nutrition thread (can we move this to like training or something cuz it's not trad)

styleboy

Dec 25, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #14 of 63 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you need a lesson in biology.

And just so you know, every study you read out there is not going to be true.

musicman1586

Dec 25, 2006, 5:40 PM
Post #15 of 63 (3739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styleboy] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styleboy wrote:

Woah people, I just made a comment about that article I read a long time ago, never made any claims of being an expert or anything like that, so calm down, I more was just bringing it up to see if anyone knew the article I was talking about, and never was I rude or acting as if I knew everything. As for the little comment about h20, as I could easily see someone trying to bring that up in response to this, just said that because I've used the term universal solvent before and not everyone has gotten it, so that wasn't a condescending comment, just making sure everyone would get it.

alwaysclimbing07

Dec 25, 2006, 5:41 PM
Post #16 of 63 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually its extremely hard to get hyponatremia. the most common time you hear about it is when people go crazy when trying to hydrate for a marathon, and drink themselves sick of water. personally from being an endurance athlete outside of climbing, i never use gatorade because it has too much sugar(i don't drink anythign caffinated or carbinated though either). and also if you ever notice what elite endurance athletes like kenyans who win marathons use, its not gatorade, its normally something they mix themselves. and also mixing gatorade with that much water just sounds kind of weird to me, because then wouldn't you have to drink all 5 gallons of water to gain out of what was in the gatorade? personally i see redbull and crack as the breakfast of champions

scrappydoo

Dec 25, 2006, 7:35 PM
Post #17 of 63 (3690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I attended a presentation on survival interventions for patients in a wilderness setting. The speaker said that Gatorade sugar and electrolyte concentration is twice as concentrated as the concentration at homeostasis in humans. She recommended mixing 1 part water with 1 part gatorade for oral administration (in multiple, very small doses) to give to unconscious patients in a wilderness setting where help is days off.

The nurse (she's also a paramedic) who gave the talk has authored several studies and emergency medicine text books. That's not to say that its the Truth, but better than "someone said...". This reinforced my track experience from college; I also found that the fluid my body most liked was gatorade cut 1 to 1 with water.

[and for those with more medical training, lets not get off topic about oral administration of fluids to an unconscious patient-- I can give more detail if interested]

piton

Dec 25, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #18 of 63 (3667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styleboy] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styleboy wrote:

well if you knew anything about biology you would understand that any sports drink that has a higher sodium level than potassium is absoultly horrible for your body.

stay away from gatorade. look for recharge by the kundson co. with the proper diet all you need is water

(This post was edited by piton on Dec 25, 2006, 11:18 PM)

stymingersfink

Dec 25, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #19 of 63 (3652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrappydoo] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrappydoo wrote:
lets... get off... about oral administration of fluids to an unconscious patient-- I can give more detail if interested]

Let me guess... GHB?Sly

8flood8

Dec 26, 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #20 of 63 (3612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your body's need for electrolytes determines how many it expels in urine.

drinking to much water ends with you peeing out mostly water.

just because you drink too much water doesn't mean you are going to unstoppably lose all of your electrolytes

don't you think there would be tons of warnings all over water if you could "accidentally" give yourself hyponatremia?

jt512

Dec 26, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #21 of 63 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AngusBeefheart wrote:
so i found this out from one of my buddies who runs track. Apparently the normal gatorade bottle (those 32 once squat ones) was originally designed to be dumped into a 5 gallon cooler of water.

This could not be more wrong. The nutritionists at Univ. of Florida who formulated Gatorade in the '60s got it right. The concentration of carbohydrates and electrolytes in the original sports drink have not been significantly improved upon in the nearly 40 years since its introduction.

Jay

pastprime

Dec 26, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #22 of 63 (3516 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For whatever it's worth, or not:
For many years I worked where I was in daily association with some of the best athletes in the US, including members of the olympic alpine and nordic ski teams, including several medalists; a marathon runner in the olympics, someone who was 3rd in the Boston marathon; and members of what was the best amatuer bicycle team in the country, who at their peak placed well against international pro teams. This bike team had members such as a co-worker I knew well who was captain of the team and Cat.1 national criterium champion, and other team members who's next step into pro had one wearing the yellow jersey in the Tour de france, another finishing in the top 10 in the tour.
These folks each had their own ideas of what to put in their water bottles, and it would change from time to time. Cytomax was a favorite, ERG had an ok reputation, Gatorade was considered less than optimal.
Universally, everyone thought the manufacturers of these potions wanted them mixed too thick. Most common ratio was about twice as much water as the directions indicated.
I don't claim to know anything myself, except what works for me, which is about 1/2 as strong as the directions indicate.
I am not citing any research. I'm just passing along what was actually happening when these guys were filling up their bottles before going on training rides and runs; and what was being said when we were working on bike stands and in the shop next to each other discussing this topic.
It may be worth noting that I live in the very arid western US, and it never crossed my mind to ask these guys if they changed the ratio in a more humid environment.

Oh, a note for the picky. I am not saying that downhill racers are using electrolyte replacement drinks during their events. They do, however, go on some pretty intense training runs and rides, and use them there. I never knew anyone who thought plain water was adequate.
I also don't claim to know how much corellation there is between what is best for rock climbing, as opposed to an endurance aerobic activity such as cross country skiing or bike riding. Probably has more carryover into alpine climbing.

awilson86

Dec 26, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #23 of 63 (3494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pastprime] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can have all the electolytes and crap you like and still be dehydrated. nothing will ever replace water and proper nutrition as the best thing for you.

Partner bdplayer

Dec 27, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #24 of 63 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [awilson86] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pshaw. Everyone knows that the colors are the important part. Heck with this proportions stuff. Gotta have the yellow gatorade, or it just doesn't work well.

jakedatc

Dec 27, 2006, 4:57 AM
Post #25 of 63 (3397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [awilson86] getting the full bang out of gatorade [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awilson86 wrote:
you can have all the electolytes and crap you like and still be dehydrated. nothing will ever replace water and proper nutrition as the best thing for you.

Haha now that's funny. too bad electrolytes and carbohydrates (ingredients in gatorade etc) ARE part of a proper diet.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook