Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jkarns

Jan 2, 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #1 of 29 (6858 views)
Shortcut

Rediculous Climbing Patent!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[url=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,036,780.PN.&OS=PN/7,036,780&RS=PN/7,036,780]Patent Filing

In reply to:
A rock-climbing device that safely aids climbers during a climb is described. The rock-climbing device has two carabiners attached to a band which runs through a hollow tube. The climber is able to manually extend the tube over his or her head to an out of reach fixed anchor in the wall of the rock and safely attach the carabiner at the end of the device. This allows the climber to then attach the bottom carabiner of the rock-climbing device to his or her harness via a rope on the harness. The rock-climbing device allows the climber to safely and easily advance up the rock.

Haven't people been making these for YEARS??!? I can't believe she was given a patent for this.

sactownclimber

Jan 2, 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #2 of 29 (6837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkarns] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a stick clip . . .

saxfiend

Jan 2, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #3 of 29 (6783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sactownclimber] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sactownclimber wrote:
Sounds like a stick clip . . .
Actually, it sounds more like a very long and rigid quickdraw.

Imagine climbing a sport route with a rack of PVC tubes hanging from your harness! This thing should be a big seller at REI (NOT)!

JL

basilisk

Jan 2, 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #4 of 29 (6680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

by golly it's both!

http://www.google.com/...+Marilyn#PPA1-IA1,M1

^pictures within

looks like it'd be obnoxious to carry.

mbg

Jan 3, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #5 of 29 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does this mean I can't use bentgates on both ends of my draws without violating a patent?

themadmilkman

Jan 3, 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #6 of 29 (6512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mbg] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, given the pictures, I've never seen anything like this. It does seem to qualify as a new and not particularly obvious idea.

That said, there's no way in hell I'd ever carry one.

fixednut

Jan 3, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #7 of 29 (6462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rediculous spelling!!

kman

Jan 3, 2007, 1:38 AM
Post #8 of 29 (6459 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Read the write up next to the picture. Shit...safety from not being above a piece of gear has already been invented. It's called top roping.

curt

Jan 3, 2007, 2:57 AM
Post #9 of 29 (6365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kman] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is actually a pretty clever idea--the patent owner showed me one of these at the last PBC--a couple of years ago. The bottom carabiner is twisted clockwise, until the sling inside constricts enough that the entire assembly becomes stiff--like a stick clip. It is then used as such.

After clipping the out of reach bolt--the lower carabiner is then "unwound" so that the tube becomes loose on the sling. The rope is then clipped into the lower carabiner and the thing functions pretty much like a normal runner with a carabiner at each end.

I don't think the idea is that you would carry a bunch of these on your rack--perhaps just one.

Curt

boombewm

Jan 3, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #10 of 29 (6326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I smell stick clip as well.

Has anyone invented a flashlight out of pancakes yet? Maybe a book that comes in pill form?

kman

Jan 3, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #11 of 29 (6320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm...perhaps I should have read the write up next to the picture Sly Makes more sense now, not that it should have made less sense to me before Pirate

Jan 3, 2007, 3:36 AM
Post #12 of 29 (6320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does the tube come off the sling, so that you can carry just one tube?

Partner angry

Jan 3, 2007, 3:52 AM
Post #13 of 29 (6298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I made one of these years ago. It wasn't original then. I posted directions on how to make one in the Ladies Room a while ago. http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Just because you have a patent does not mean you're going to get rich. These are a 10 minute tape job. No-one is going to spend money on them.

braaaaaaaadley

Jan 3, 2007, 4:58 AM
Post #14 of 29 (6224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I agree with curt on this one. Thats a pretty cool idea and could be useful when your on a poorly planned route that lacks any clipping stances or when your pumped and you can't reach the bolt above your head... I'm not saying that I woud buy one, but just that its a cool idea.

keithlester
Deleted

Jan 3, 2007, 6:59 AM
Post #15 of 29 (6180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [braaaaaaaadley] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't appear that the patentee has a clue about climbing at all. The bottom end of the device is to be clipped to the harness, that should make it real easy to climb higher.......Sly

kletterfreak

Jan 3, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #16 of 29 (6092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keithlester] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a Patent Geek AND a Climber I have seen a lot of intelligent and innovative climbing devices.

This not being one of them.

But seriously, you have to read the patent claim before you say its stupid that the patent issued.

And of course, no need to get into a fit about it. No one is going to sue someone for a home made piece of gear. Its likely they have a commerical product in mind.

Also, for those patent skeptics, keep in mind that the spring loaded tri-cam was patented.
And no one here I would dare say would argue that the Friend was not deserving of a patent. I always marvel at how ingenius these things are... yet they are based on a very simple engineering principle, the same principle that Nautilus uses in their gym equipment.

But who the hell ever thought they could stop a 20m fall!

Cheers and happy new year on all! :-)

Adk

Jan 4, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #17 of 29 (5991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kletterfreak] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Also, for those patent skeptics, keep in mind that the spring loaded tri-cam was patented.
And no one here I would dare say would argue that the Friend was not deserving of a patent. I always marvel at how ingenius these things are... yet they are based on a very simple engineering principle, the same principle that Nautilus uses in their gym equipment.

But who the hell ever thought they could stop a 20m fall!

Cheers and happy new year on all! :-)

I have two ideas but no funds to patent them.
One I have had for about nice years and the other I designed about two months ago.
So, until I find a wad of cash to get it all rolling or until I find a way to patent them without needing a wad of cash, my ideas will just stay on paper. I wish not because they really could help the sporting world out.
I have a friend that patented the Strong Arm. A device to hold ladders to buildings. Anyway, there are lots of great ideas out there and so many wishing they were able to work with their ideas. What seen STUPID to some , others absolutely love.
This particular patent/ item, I have no use for. At least for now I don't. Congrats to the idea and the ambition to get it patented.

gunked

Jan 4, 2007, 2:57 AM
Post #18 of 29 (5959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boombewm] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boombewm wrote:
...Maybe a book that comes in pill form?

It comes in liquid form. I believe they call it LSD.

Angelic

Partner brent_e

Jan 4, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #19 of 29 (5950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
Does the tube come off the sling, so that you can carry just one tube?

you're working a climb at your limit and you hang from the crimp while you stuff a sling into a piece of pipe with your teeth, clip the biner on the end with your ear, twist it on your nose, then clip the other end biner with your other ear.

climbsomething

Jan 4, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #20 of 29 (5945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen this toy in action (I also know the person who patented it and have some pics of her testing it out). It's not re-inventing the wheel or curing cancer, but it's a neat toy for sport bunnies and no more "rediculous" than any of the other tactics and tools we use.

kletterfreak

Jan 4, 2007, 9:08 AM
Post #21 of 29 (5897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk said "I have two ideas but no funds to patent them. One I have had for about nice years and the other I designed about two months ago.
So, until I find a wad of cash to get it all rolling or until I find a way to patent them without needing a wad of cash, my ideas will just stay on paper. I wish not because they really could help the sporting world out."

The good news is that sole inventors get a 50% reduction on the filing fee. It costs $500 dollars to file in the US patent office for sole inventors. Compare that to Europe which costs on the order of 3000 Eujros. Yikes!!!

The other good news is that you don't need a patent attorney to file a patent and process it for yourself. The uspto.gov web site has a great tutorial on how to do it yourself.

However, I must warn you that there are pitfalls for the unwary and you will probably need professional help at some point later in the process.

I will caution also that patents are a business prospect. It does not necessarily mean that you will be rich if you obtain a patent. You must market it.

On the climbing front, I sent my resume recently to some Climbing equipment companies. There is a real need for those companies to protect their products from their competitors.

Some I must say are a bit daffy. Or just outright marketing gimmicks. I tell ya, some of these things remind me of those Golf gadgets. Take the Squid for example. I would be embarassed having one of those in my Rucksack! I would much rather grab a stick than live with that kind of shame! Tongue

Anyway, my cold calls to the Climbing companies werent very effective. Anyone have a lead? It would be awesome to work for, say North Face, side by side with those pro climbers!!! And think of all the free gear!!! Sly

In closing, if you are serious, send me an email. I don't work for free but perhaps we can reach an accord. Or otherwise I can provide you with some off-the record tips to help you get started.

Cheers and keep inventing those climbing devices!

har harrr Pirate

lebeau

Jan 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Post #22 of 29 (5746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kletterfreak] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend and I made one of these for a particular climb we were working on. The crux move was just out of reach of the bolt and there was a ledge that you would probably hit if you fell. This device allowed us to clip the bolt in a spot below the crux.

As far as an inexpensive patent, check out the uspto.gov site and check into provisional patents. This gives you a year to say "patent pending" while you sell your idea and see if it's worth while. It's around $80.

Also, I think the squid is a very clever idea and well designed. A guy in Arizona invented it and I designed the plastic version. Most climbers I've seen with it really like it. Some really good rock and mixed climbers who do caves love it.

Mark

stymingersfink

Jan 6, 2007, 6:30 AM
Post #23 of 29 (5699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jkarns wrote:

Patent Filing

[url http://your.url.here.com/somereallylongnamewhichgetshidden] Patent Filing [/url]

the gossamer doesn't like using the "equal" (=) sign within its tagging Smile , don't forget to close them either

kletterfreak

Jan 11, 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #24 of 29 (5542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lebeau] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lebeau wrote:
... I think the squid is a very clever idea and well designed. A guy in Arizona invented it and I designed the plastic version. Most climbers I've seen with it really like it. Some really good rock and mixed climbers who do caves love it.

Mark

great! I am sure some people find use in it. and I laud your inventiveness.

perhaps as one of the creators you can enlighten us on the origin of the name. I have always wondered.

perhaps it was a misintended monomer but a "squid" in the motorcycle world means someone who dumps his bike all the time.

is there another reason... I mean besides the obvious look of the device.

PS the person who mentioned the provisional application is right in a sense. but beware, you must "perfect" your provisional within 1 year by filing a normal application based on the provisional filing.

for this and other reasons i don't prefer working with provisionals. things left undone usually will remain undone. that is, if you leave it for a year, chances are you will not get around to perfecting your application. its best to do the whole thing whilst fresh in your mind. my opinion is that it is worth spending the 500 dollars if you think its worth spending the time to patent. you probably spent more on your last stereo.

true it's great if you are a sole inventor and really dont want to spend time and money on a patent. but if you go in with that attitude, then its likely you wont perfect your provisional in a year either. thats been my experience.

cheers and I am still awaiting your email

Partner sevrdhed

Jan 11, 2007, 1:44 PM
Post #25 of 29 (5491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keithlester] Rediculous Climbing Patent!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

keithlester wrote:
It doesn't appear that the patentee has a clue about climbing at all. The bottom end of the device is to be clipped to the harness, that should make it real easy to climb higher.......Sly

In reply to:
This allows the climber to then attach the bottom carabiner of the rock-climbing device to his or her harness via a rope on the harness.

Bolding mine. This isn't clipping directly into the harness, it's clipping the rope to a quickdraw. Much like you do anytime you're sport climbing.

This seems like a nice idea that I wouldn't spend any money on, althought I could imagine one or two instances where it could be potentially useful.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook