Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Jan 4, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #1 of 187 (9670 views)
Shortcut

The pregnant climbing girl
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This thread is regarding this photo posted by my friend Aimee.

You will notice that Aimee is pregnant. She is wearing a full body harness, leading a route she has done countless times that's about 3 full number grades below her redpoint limit.

Yet the local yokels, who are so far only men (as best I can tell), are tearing into her, calling her a pig and saying the pic is the stupidest thing they've ever seen on this site (ha).

I know Aimee. I know she's very excited to have this baby. I also know she's educated, has been climbing for years (as hard as 5.13), and works in the medical profession. Don't you think she knows a few things about climbing and the human body (especially her own), and is way more qualified than anybody else about how to make her own uniquely personal choices?

Tiffany Campbell, Bobbi Bensman and Lynn Hill were documented in the climbing glossies as cranking well into their pregnancies. Would you call them pigs or accuse them of being stupid?

Aimee is 7 mos along right now and has since stopped leading. Of course there are risks to climbing while pregnant and she is aware of them (there are also a'plenty for climbing while non-pregnant and/or stupid, though that doesn't seem to stop most). She's a smart and feisty girl, and I know she doesn't need my shine, but she also doesn't need a bunch of presumptuous tards telling her what to do.

I'm proud of any pregnant lady who continues to responsibly pursue per passionate active lifestyle and doesn't use pregnancy as an excuse to hit a wall. She and her baby are doing a lot more than many non-pregnant people will ever do (and they look good doing it too!)

So... there! Yeah.

mushroomsamba

Jan 4, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #2 of 187 (9659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ahmen.

more power to her for climbing pregnant. There was a picture of a pregnant woman bouldering in Urban climber a few issues ago. wish I could tell you which or find the pic.

dr_feelgood

Jan 4, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #3 of 187 (9659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers!!!!
To beer and pregnancy!

Jan 4, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #4 of 187 (9626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am all for her climbing while pregnant. I am not sure how I feel about her leading though. Regardless, I hope she is lucky enough to experiance orgasim during delivery!

Partner brent_e

Jan 4, 2007, 3:37 AM
Post #5 of 187 (9612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Cheers!!!!
To beer and pregnancy!

but not at the same time!!! Wink

good on her for being safe and keeping active.

Hope her wee one is healthy and happy!!!

gblauer

Jan 4, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 187 (9590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Aimee...you go girl! (If I was a climber when I was having children I would have done the same)

Best wishes for a wonderful birth experience.

climbsomething

Jan 4, 2007, 3:49 AM
Post #7 of 187 (9582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

112 wrote:
I am all for her climbing while pregnant. I am not sure how I feel about her leading though. Regardless, I hope she is lucky enough to experiance orgasim during delivery!
Laugh If she does, she doesn't have to tell me!

pixelguru

Jan 4, 2007, 3:54 AM
Post #8 of 187 (9573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I showed the photo to my wife, who is due in May. Her comment is that, while she'd love to be able to climb right now, her "protect the baby" hormones would make it very difficult. I suspect that Aimee's own internal instincts would have kicked in if she attempted something too risky. For her to be this comfortable climbing at 5 months, she must really be an awesome climber.

Beautiful photo.

angusmacginny

Jan 4, 2007, 3:55 AM
Post #9 of 187 (9572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats fucking rad!

reno

Jan 4, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #10 of 187 (9552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Of course there are risks to climbing while pregnant and she is aware of them...

I'm proud of any pregnant lady who continues to responsibly pursue...

Emphasis mine.

Kudos to her for keeping an active lifestyle while pregnant. Much good science documenting benefits to exercise while preggers.

Emphasis added for a reason: Get with a good OB/GYN, talk to him or her about exercise, and follow good advice. There are some situations where pregnant females should NOT exercise. Get a good doctor, talk to them, and get a second opinion. And make smart decisions.

overlord

Jan 4, 2007, 8:03 AM
Post #11 of 187 (9452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i guess the men are tearing into her because she climbs harder than they do... pregnantWink

man, that has to suck, to be a spraylord and have a pregnant woman do laps on your proj. that has to be the worst part of number chasing, actually meeting someone that is better, even worse, better while being pregnant and offcourse that means that that person lacks something youve got, so you cant compensate with comparing 'manhood' either.

kudos to her. she has my total support.

crackrn

Jan 4, 2007, 8:06 AM
Post #12 of 187 (9452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Way to back your friend. And Thhppttttthhhtt! to the naysayers without a clue.

acollins

Jan 4, 2007, 8:46 AM
Post #13 of 187 (9441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just want to say. I'm all for her climbing while pregnant. Even pregnant i'm sure she can climb much harder than I can. Being a single guy I have not idea what being pregnant does to your body and glad I don't have to find out but i'm sure most women would not do anything they thought might hurt their baby. I think climbing has to be much better for the baby than smoking or drinking but many women do that when pregnant and I don't agree with that at all.
Keep climbing girl!

My only question is where do you find beautiful women who climb? I'm in need of a girlfriend who can hang in there with me and be active. Most of them are too worried about how they look to get them out on the rocks. I'm all for women who go beyond what is expected of them!Wink

my_name_is_fake

Jan 4, 2007, 9:47 AM
Post #14 of 187 (9425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know the whether a fall from leading will pose a significant risk to the mother & baby. I suppose your friend has made an informed decision to do lead and has consulted her doctor. If she has and is aware of the risk, more power to her.

If it was my gf/wife, i would advise her not to lead though. Maybe indoor TR.

To each their own.

thomasribiere

Jan 4, 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #15 of 187 (9382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
I also know she's educated, has been climbing for years (as hard as 5.13), and works in the medical profession. Don't you think she knows a few things about climbing and the human body (especially her own), and is way more qualified than anybody else about how to make her own uniquely personal choices?

I've seen many girls TRing during pregnancy, but leaders are seldom in my experience.

Partner epoch

Jan 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #16 of 187 (9376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [my_name_is_fake] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ulitmately it was her choice and I would assume an educated one. While the risks are ever present while pregnant it is good to see that she was in a full-body harness. I wouldn't advise that any woman lead after starting the third trimester. I went through this with my wife when she was pregnant, and although she doesn't lead she did climb to her third trimester. We had consulted an OB who was also a climber and had two children herself and were told about all of the risks involved.

To the OP: I would ignore the banter from the guys at the crag. While they may taunt with good intentions they, ultimately, are not responsible for her. And props for leading at the 5 month mark. Anytime after that, I would reccomend that she take up the practice of following, no matter how much it annoys her.

ebonezercabbage

Jan 4, 2007, 1:33 PM
Post #17 of 187 (9317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go her for climbing. But as a guy, if she was my wife i'd ask her not to climb while pregnant....just seems like an aweful big risk......

p.s. When did we get the power to put pictures in threads again? must have missed that....bring back the worst photos thread!

Partner thespider

Jan 4, 2007, 2:24 PM
Post #18 of 187 (9261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats great and all, but IMO, still Stupid. But it's not my baby so I don't give a shit.

jonzoclimber

Jan 4, 2007, 2:35 PM
Post #19 of 187 (9242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stand by what I said, this is absolutely ridiculous. This is about the only point in anyone's life where I believe other people have to be involved in telling someone what is good for them, because it is not just effecting them. Saying she knows her body and limitations is shear arrogance. I do believe she should keep doing what she loves and stay active, but if she cant not lead climb for 9 months for the sake of her unborn child then maybe she should reconsider how she's going to treat her baby... In my opinion this is outrageous that anyone could defend someone doing something so stupid.
I'm all for taking risks and doing some damage to myself for the love of climbing, but she'd feel really stupid when she took a minor fall and out pops a retarded baby... ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK IF YOU"RE PREGO, LEARN SOME GAHDAMN SELF RESTRAINT.

Partner j_ung

Jan 4, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #20 of 187 (9228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure why so many climbers are so afraid of things they haven't seen before. But, I'm not one of those, thankfully. Good on ya, Aimeerose. Sounds like you're plenty smart enough to make good choices. If only my mom had been climbing when she was pregnant with me! Think of the possibilities! LaughLaugh

angusmacginny

Jan 4, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #21 of 187 (9158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonzoclimber] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jonzoclimber wrote:
I stand by what I said, this is absolutely ridiculous. This is about the only point in anyone's life where I believe other people have to be involved in telling someone what is good for them, because it is not just effecting them. Saying she knows her body and limitations is shear arrogance. I do believe she should keep doing what she loves and stay active, but if she cant not lead climb for 9 months for the sake of her unborn child then maybe she should reconsider how she's going to treat her baby... In my opinion this is outrageous that anyone could defend someone doing something so stupid.
I'm all for taking risks and doing some damage to myself for the love of climbing, but she'd feel really stupid when she took a minor fall and out pops a retarded baby... ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK IF YOU"RE PREGO, LEARN SOME GAHDAMN SELF RESTRAINT.

GFY! Its too bad assholes like you dont spend more time thinking about yourselves. Your ass bad as the religious right who see it fit to tell people what they should and should not be doing.

STFU

dingus

Jan 4, 2007, 3:30 PM
Post #22 of 187 (9157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife climbed pregnant. I belayed her.

The list of men who think that they have provence over what goes on inside a woman's body is a very very very long list.

This has nothing to do with climbing. If she dares anything even remotely risky there will be self-righteous men (like one or two in this thread) who feel it is their business to tell her what to do.

It is about the control of women. As I smile at my wife and daughters this morning it comforts me greatly that NONE OF YOU MEN WILL EVER HAVE SAY OVER WHAT GOES ON IN MY DAUGHTER'S BODIES, not EVER.

Animal Farm never changes. New equipment, new techniques and still we have with:

All people are equal. Its just that some of us are a lot more equal than others.

DMT

vertical_planar

Jan 4, 2007, 3:34 PM
Post #23 of 187 (9145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing post... A textbook example of how political correctness and flaming can mingle together in a perfect mix...
Seriously now, I think your post is way more provocative that then comments on the photograph. Everyone is entitled to have his own opinion etc etc...Its easy to see why climbing during pregnacy sounds irresponsible if not stupid to some.

It¢s a matter of perception so chill out a bit otherwise you sound like the idiot who called this girl a pig

keinangst

Jan 4, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #24 of 187 (9117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vertical_planar] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why does everyone trot out the old "congrats" or "it's her body, she can do what she wants" with issues like this? We're not talking about some morality issue (say, abortion).

Meanwhile, we always talk about whether to stop people from doing dangerous things at the crag. Well, if everything goes perfectly, this is fine. If she takes a nasty whipper and hits the wall at a bad angle, it might not be.

I had a teacher way back in middle school that was bumped into by a kid running around a corner. She miscarried a few hours later. Would everyone supporting this decision feel the same if the baby were an infant and strapped to her body instead? Because I see it as the exact same thing--putting someone at undue risk without their consent. "Hey, I just love climbing so much, I could never go without it under any circumstances!"

Forget congrats. This is plain stupid and selfish.

dingus

Jan 4, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #25 of 187 (9086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keinangst] The pregnant climbing girl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

keinangst wrote:
Would everyone supporting this decision feel the same if the baby were an infant and strapped to her body instead? Because I see it as the exact same thing--putting someone at undue risk without their consent.

This is the core argument of course. No I would not feel exactly the same if she strapped an infant to her chest and climbed with it. Its not the same thing at all, not even remotely the same.

You simply have no provence over a woman's body or reproductive organs, period. Time to come to grips with that... it is none of your business.

DMT

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook