Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 71 (10977 views)
Shortcut

Comment on my Photos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a noob, please comment on my photos so that I can become better at taking photos. Thanks!

Early Work:

Middle Work:

Latest Work:

Thanks!!!

melekzek

Jan 11, 2007, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 71 (10895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thespider] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know that we have a critique forum? You can submit a climbing picture, and we will discuss. You submitted what, 20 something pictures, mostly unrelated to climbing. In the critique forum we submit one single image per thread, and talk about it. If you submit many many images for critique, you will only get comments like these "oh, the 3rd one is cool", "i like the dog" etc etc

There are photo critique sites all over the web, you can show your nonclimbing pictures there for critique. I like photo.net and photosig. Photo.net is a rather silent these days, and the comments tend to shift to social-networking, but photosig is pretty good. Because you have to make critiques and earn points to be able to submit additional pictures to photosig, you get some response always.

(This post was edited by melekzek on Jan 11, 2007, 6:41 PM)

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 7:05 PM
Post #3 of 71 (10859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melekzek] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks!

I tried to start a new topic in the critique forum, but I'm not allowed. Frown

I am also checking into photosig, thanks for the tips!!

climbsomething

Jan 11, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #4 of 71 (10846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thespider wrote:

Thanks!!!
Wow. I am reeling with envy. I wish I had rock like that in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for brightening my day Laugh

(This post was edited by climbsomething on Jan 11, 2007, 7:14 PM)

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 7:14 PM
Post #5 of 71 (10840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
thespider wrote:
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/7/299657-largest_dharmacranking1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/7/300727-largest_arleearete1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/2/300732-largest_dharmasearching1.jpg[/image]

Thanks!!!
Wow. I am reeling with envy. I wish I had rock like that in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for brightening my day Laugh

Laying it on kinda thick there, don't you think? Tongue

climbsomething

Jan 11, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 71 (10834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you want the honest to god truth?

Most of your photos suck. Hard. Posting them at full-res isn't helping, either.

That's not elitism or hypocrisy folks, that's real talk.

The shot of the flowers in the water tank/bucket/pot is nice, however.

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 71 (10825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:

I did want the honest truth, Thank you. I know they suck, but I'm trying! Wink Like I said, I'm noob and my eye is no where near as trained as starkcontrast.

Just out of curiosity, why is posting at a lower res better? Besides the obvious "it takes less time to dl"

climbsomething wrote:

Thanks for the comments!

melekzek

Jan 11, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #8 of 71 (10795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thespider wrote:
why is posting at a lower res better? Besides the obvious "it takes less time to dl"

duh. also 3800x2600, WTF, it is three times than the screen size, what should I do with it, print and hang on my wall? You should learn scaling your image for web, being selective, etc etc... you know, the basics...

(This post was edited by melekzek on Jan 11, 2007, 7:52 PM)

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 7:58 PM
Post #9 of 71 (10782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

melekzek wrote:
thespider wrote:
why is posting at a lower res better? Besides the obvious "it takes less time to dl"

duh. also 3800x2600, WTF, it is three times than the screen size, what should I do with it, print and hang on my wall? You should learn scaling your image for web, being selective, etc etc... you know, the basics...

Thanks. I understand the basics, and a bit of advanced, web site design and photo editing. My photos were not uploaded so that you could click on them and view them directly in a web browser. Sorry! And I guess maybe you need a bigger screenCool

shanz

Jan 11, 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #10 of 71 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the pics pretty much suck - the water flower thing was cool but what really got me was the climbing pics the graffitti was what sucked the most - maybe try to remove that crap off the rock and kick anyones ass you see with a spraycan and then the pics will look better though likely not

(This post was edited by shanz on Jan 11, 2007, 8:10 PM)

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #11 of 71 (10753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
the pics pretty much suck - the water flower thing was cool but what really got me was the climbing pics the graffitti was what sucked the most - maybe try to remove that crap off the rock and kick anyones ass you see with a spraycan and then the pics will look better though likely not

Thank You!

Yeah, I make it a point to kick the ass of taggers when I see them, but unfortunately the crag is right on the road, so the locals have a field day there. Interestingly enough, some of the early taggin was done with a chisel and is the attraction of the site. The site was Bilgers Rocks, Grampian PA.

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #12 of 71 (10711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

melekzek wrote:
thespider wrote:

OK boss, I got them resized! Thanks for the lesson!

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #13 of 71 (10707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a general comment to everyone who has...well, commented.

I really appreciate the comments, and it seems like I got one ok photo out of 20 or so. This makes me incredibly happy! I know I have a lot to learn, but it's great to have the pros compliment me on one shot. Again, I appreciate it!

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 8:46 PM
Post #14 of 71 (10693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I noticed that my Balance photo was quite blown out, so I messed with it a little.

Better? What still sucks in it? (as if there were anything to begin with that was good)

Thanks!

EDIT: added old pic for contrast

(This post was edited by thespider on Jan 11, 2007, 8:47 PM)

dynosore

Jan 11, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #15 of 71 (10690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your composition is getting better, but the latest bunch are still generally dark and blah. Fill flash, and perhaps a better camera? Just like climbing, a good mentor and good equipment help a lot, and can save you futzing around learning what others already know.

trenchdigger

Jan 11, 2007, 8:49 PM
Post #16 of 71 (10684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You really should have some sense of which of your photos are "good" and which suck. You should be culling the bad ones on your own rather than posting them all and asking which one is good. Post your best and ask for feedback. Try to figure out what makes it good and try to repeat that.

My biggest suggestion is that you find a book on basic photography and try to get a grasp on the basics (steadying the camera to eliminate motion blur, framing, focus, exposure, etc.). A little of that will greatly improve your photos and increase the number of "keepers" out of each set.

Learn the basics, young grasshopper, and then come back to get some feedback on the cream of your crop. We only want to see your best shots, not the ones that belong in the "Worst Photos of Rockclimbing.com" thread.

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #17 of 71 (10666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Your composition is getting better, but the latest bunch are still generally dark and blah. Fill flash, and perhaps a better camera? Just like climbing, a good mentor and good equipment help a lot, and can save you futzing around learning what others already know.

Thanks! Yes, the fill flash is a concept that I often forget to employ, noob mistake. Your second point is well taken. I have a pro photographer that I ask questions of and he critiques my shots. My equipment, which I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, is a D200. I'm embarrassed because its such a nice camera (opinion) and I have no idea how to use anything beyond basics. I got Thom Hogans complete guide to the D200, and I experiment often.

I do however need a mentor that will take a trip to the crags with me and help me out. Anyone out there, central pa?

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that some of the oldest photos are done with a Cannon A75m, point and shoot POS. Thanks!

(This post was edited by thespider on Jan 11, 2007, 9:04 PM)

Partner thespider

Jan 11, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #18 of 71 (10662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
You really should have some sense of which of your photos are "good" and which suck. You should be culling the bad ones on your own rather than posting them all and asking which one is good. Post your best and ask for feedback. Try to figure out what makes it good and try to repeat that.

My biggest suggestion is that you find a book on basic photography and try to get a grasp on the basics (steadying the camera to eliminate motion blur, framing, focus, exposure, etc.). A little of that will greatly improve your photos and increase the number of "keepers" out of each set.

Learn the basics, young grasshopper, and then come back to get some feedback on the cream of your crop. We only want to see your best shots, not the ones that belong in the "Worst Photos of Rockclimbing.com" thread.

Thanks! If you'd ask me, all my photos suck! But I'm no pro either. My point in posting them is not really to figure out which is good or not, but to figure out what would make them better. Then I can figure out what I'm doing right and repeat that, what I'm doing wrong and cancel that.

I appreciate the suggestion and I think I will take a trip to the book store tonight. Any suggestions on good beginner books? I have been meaning to buy one, but all I have so far is "Climbing Photography" by Jeff Achey.

Thanks!!Smile

pico23

Jan 12, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #19 of 71 (10582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:

I thought we weren't allowed to be sarcastic. Something about it showing our tiny egos or something. I don't remember, but I do remember sarcasm was frowned upon.

At the risk of offending anyone, I do kinda wish the rocks where I climbed were that colorful. I mean all I have is boring rock to look at, if it was only decorated with such artwork I might climb more.

On second thought, I don't even like chalk marks, maybe i'm better off without the artistic rock.

piton

Jan 12, 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #20 of 71 (10550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spider matt dig your photos you have a unique style on the bluryness effect trying to catch vintage type feel. i like your DOF w/ the curious gorge. most important you capature the things that make you and your friends happy. the 1 thing i didn't care for was the sunset w/ telephone poles just a pet peeve of mine is a photo w/ telephones poles.
soon all your photos will be at the quality of who you admire

(This post was edited by piton on Jan 12, 2007, 1:49 PM)

climbsomething

Jan 12, 2007, 5:56 AM
Post #21 of 71 (10518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pico23 wrote:

I thought we weren't allowed to be sarcastic. Something about it showing our tiny egos or something. I don't remember, but I do remember sarcasm was frowned upon.

At the risk of offending anyone, I do kinda wish the rocks where I climbed were that colorful. I mean all I have is boring rock to look at, if it was only decorated with such artwork I might climb more.

On second thought, I don't even like chalk marks, maybe i'm better off without the artistic rock.
You can get over youself any day now.

I wasn't being sarcastic. The photos really do blow.

climbsomething

Jan 12, 2007, 6:18 AM
Post #22 of 71 (10507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thespider wrote:
OK, I noticed that my Balance photo was quite blown out, so I messed with it a little.

Better? What still sucks in it? (as if there were anything to begin with that was good)

Thanks!
Well, you're right. The photo wasn't good to begin with. I mean, what is the guy doing? Just screwing around on the choad at the base while he waits for his belayer to put him on? Falling off the starting moves and trying not to snap his ankle? I don't get it. And what's that rat's nest of cord and webbing behind him all about?

Look, what do you want to accomplish with your photography? You have a nice camera. It's capable of taking professional-quality shots. The pros I work with shoot with D200s (we are a small outfit, but still.)

If you really want to improve your shots, look at the magazines. Look at the coffee table books. Look at the pros' web sites. What do you see? What do you like? And how can you try to mimic that? Similar to watching better climbers move so you can pick up their technique.

And what makes your areas unique? Some places have nice foliage, pretty skies, stunning backdrops. Based on your pics, I'm not so sure your local pebbles have that. But work with what you got. Like, it looks like you have a lot of bright green lichen, and the trees can make for some interesting lightplay.

I'd suggest skipping the onboard flash until you know how to work without it. (the last few pics on the "colorful" rock were obviously shot with the little pop-up flash, and that flattens the scene and makes it uglier.)

Oh, and this is a matter of personal taste, but don't pose your "talent" or go overboard with the art direction (it doesn't look like you did, but some people do). Try to be journalistic. I find that a lot more rewarding. Posed shots look cheesy.

Oh, and I haven't been there in quite some time, but in my recollection, the photo.net crew is liable to yank your pants around your ankles, forgo the lube, and rip your butthole open. Especially if you post most of the above shots.

HTH

piton

Jan 12, 2007, 1:55 PM
Post #23 of 71 (10476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
pico23 wrote:

You can get over youself any day now.

I wasn't being sarcastic. The photos really do blow.

wow the pot calling the kettle black. out all your photos hill i think 1 or 2 or yours are good. once again get off your high horse little girl.

Partner thespider

Jan 12, 2007, 2:59 PM
Post #24 of 71 (10460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
thespider wrote:

Thanks!
Well, you're right. The photo wasn't good to begin with. I mean, what is the guy doing? Just screwing around on the choad at the base while he waits for his belayer to put him on? Falling off the starting moves and trying not to snap his ankle? I don't get it. And what's that rat's nest of cord and webbing behind him all about?
Yep, he was just screwing around when I caught him balancing. The belayer is right behind him walking towards the anchor where the jumble of the rope is sitting on the rock. We use anchors cause I'm a fat ass.
climbsomething wrote:

Look, what do you want to accomplish with your photography? You have a nice camera. It's capable of taking professional-quality shots. The pros I work with shoot with D200s (we are a small outfit, but still.)

If you really want to improve your shots, look at the magazines. Look at the coffee table books. Look at the pros' web sites. What do you see? What do you like? And how can you try to mimic that? Similar to watching better climbers move so you can pick up their technique.
Yes, your right, and I am. Trying to look at photos and decipher how the shot was taken, why the shot was taken, and what the shot is taken of.
climbsomething wrote:

And what makes your areas unique? Some places have nice foliage, pretty skies, stunning backdrops. Based on your pics, I'm not so sure your local pebbles have that. But work with what you got. Like, it looks like you have a lot of bright green lichen, and the trees can make for some interesting lightplay.
Good point, thanks. I had not really thought about it yet. I guess my area has more graffiti than yours, thats what makes it unique.
climbsomething wrote:
I'd suggest skipping the onboard flash until you know how to work without it. (the last few pics on the "colorful" rock were obviously shot with the little pop-up flash, and that flattens the scene and makes it uglier.)
Working on it, have not made it to the flash section on my book.
climbsomething wrote:
Oh, and this is a matter of personal taste, but don't pose your "talent" or go overboard with the art direction (it doesn't look like you did, but some people do). Try to be journalistic. I find that a lot more rewarding. Posed shots look cheesy.
agreed.
climbsomething wrote:
Oh, and I haven't been there in quite some time, but in my recollection, the photo.net crew is liable to yank your pants around your ankles, forgo the lube, and rip your butthole open. Especially if you post most of the above shots.
Well, if it helps me, I'll take it!Blush
climbsomething wrote:
HTH

Thanks!

Partner thespider

Jan 12, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #25 of 71 (10458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [piton] Comment on my Photos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

piton wrote:
spider matt dig your photos you have a unique style on the bluryness effect trying to catch vintage type feel. i like your DOF w/ the curious gorge. most important you capature the things that make you and your friends happy. the 1 thing i didn't care for was the sunset w/ telephone poles just a pet peeve of mine is a photo w/ telephones poles.
soon all your photos will be at the quality of who you admire

Thanks! I grabbed the skyline shots while driving and was surprised the telephone pole was so crisp. I appreciate the comments!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook