Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Jan 12, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #51 of 75 (4261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drrock] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

drrock wrote:
Don't climb if you get a flapper or a cut. Don't climb if you have a pustule or open wound.

I can see following this advice in a gym, but cuts and flappers are a part of the bidness otherwise? Don't see how one could follow this proscription and still be a climber?

Cheers
DMT

littlefingers

Jan 12, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #52 of 75 (4259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drrock] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drrock-

I can't help but just clarify that I have never proposed disinfecting the gym as a plausible solution. I would rather promote education, CA-MRSA awareness, and simple good hygeine. Do these solutions seem alarmist to you?

Also, I think you should research a bit about handwashing. Simple good hygiene has been *proven* to reduce your risk of infection. Read any Center for Disease Control report on CA-MRSA. Even the most basic info mentions this.

(This post was edited by littlefingers on Jan 12, 2007, 5:47 PM)

Partner drrock

Jan 12, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #53 of 75 (4249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
drrock wrote:
Don't climb if you get a flapper or a cut. Don't climb if you have a pustule or open wound.

I can see following this advice in a gym, but cuts and flappers are a part of the bidness otherwise? Don't see how one could follow this proscription and still be a climber?

Cheers
DMT

Touche. In a gym. It's simple respect for your gym rat comrades, not to bloody up the holds, but also an open wound is an entry site for nasties like MRSA. I got a cellulitis that required a shot of antibiotics in the butt (man did that hurt) from an elbow abrasion that ocurred at the local climbing gym, but not for one second did I assume the bacteria came from the climbing wall. It came from my skin.

Partner drrock

Jan 12, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #54 of 75 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [littlefingers] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

littlefingers wrote:
drrock-

I can't help but just clarify that I have never proposed disinfecting the gym as a plausible solution. I would rather promote education, CA-MRSA awareness, and simple good hygeine. Do these solutions seem alarmist to you?

Nope. Like I said, it's an otherwise good thread. The whole "spider bite" bit is a good peice of advice. I would never accept that as a diagnosis in myself. I did get bit once by a grasshopper and once by a mouse. No kidding. But never from a spider.

Partner drrock

Jan 12, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #55 of 75 (4243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [littlefingers] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

littlefingers wrote:
drrock-

Also, I think you should research a bit about handwashing. Simple good hygiene has been *proven* to reduce your risk of infection. Read any Center for Disease Control report on CA-MRSA. Even the most basic info mentions this.

Yes, I also mention in my original post that washing hands is a good thing. Semmelweis was laughed at but was vindicated in the end, unfortunately after he went nuts, or so I am told.

littlefingers

Jan 12, 2007, 5:52 PM
Post #56 of 75 (4241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drrock-

You are right that staph is everywhere and lives on us, and you are also misinformed to think there are not different strains and types of staph. Less than 1% of the population is exposed to the USA-100 strain of bacteria that is causing many healthy people to get repeated staph infections.

There is staph on your skin, and there are other new strains of staph that you are exposed to in your environment. Infection rates are increasingly common by these new strains of bacteria, such as CA-MRSA.

littlefingers

Jan 12, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #57 of 75 (4238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you still find encouraging CA-MRSA awareness and education an alarmist reaction? Do you think it is too much to desire this from a facility that has been exposed to CA-MRSA?

thanks for your thoughts,
-m

Partner drrock

Jan 12, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #58 of 75 (4235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

littlefingers wrote:
drrock-

you are also misinformed to think there are not different strains and types of staph. quote]

That's silly. Re-read my original post. I respectfully bow out of this conversation, work to do, bored, thirsty, etc. etc... enjoy. Peace.

littlefingers

Jan 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #59 of 75 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For anyone following this thread, there will be an article in the April issue of Rock and Ice about CA-MRSA. It will be available starting March 1st.

Healthy & happy climbing wishes to everyone!
-m

littlefingers

Jan 28, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #60 of 75 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Education as prevention- a study on it's effectiveness in athletic
environments.

In fall of 2003, an outbreak of Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA) occurred in Mecklenburg County involving athletes and non-athletes in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School System.

In response to this outbreak the Mecklenburg County Health Department developed an educational video, brochure, and website with a fact sheet to educate athletes, parents, athletic personnel, and the public about proper hygiene procedures used to prevent and control this type of infection. Pre and post tests were administered along with the video to a sample of high school athletes to assess current hygiene knowledge, attitudes, and practices. Pre/Post testing showed:

* 86.4% increase in knowledge and attitude of effectiveness of hand washing,
* 6.4% in showering,
* 240.4% in cleaning shared equipment, and
* 145.4% in reporting suspicious sores to their school nurse or healthcare provider.

You can visit this link to read more about this study:
http://www.charmeck.org/...ews/MRSAResponse.htm

Here is a link to an informational page on the site about CA-MRSA and also a link to the video mentioned in the athletic awareness campaign:
http://www.charmeck.org/...nt/Top+News/MRSA.htm

Maybe we should all try to pass this video around? Thanks,
Meg

littlefingers

Feb 28, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #61 of 75 (4071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NATIONAL ATHLETIC TRAINERS’ ASSOCIATION (NATA) ISSUES OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON COMMUNITY-ACQUIRED MRSA INFECTIONS
Organization Addresses Potential Risks and Offers Prevention Tips

DALLAS , March 16 – In an effort to educate the public about the potential risks of community-acquired methicillin-resistant staphylococcus infection (CA-MRSA), the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA) has issued an official statement recommending all health care personnel and physically active adults and children take appropriate precautions if suspicious skin infections appear, and immediately contact their physician.

NATA represents 30,000 members of the athletic training profession through public education and research. Certified athletic trainers (ATCs) are allied health care professionals who specialize in the prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses that occur to athletes and the physically active. They can be found in sports settings, performing arts, corporations, the military, schools, clinics and hospitals, physician offices, and other health care facilities.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Staphylococcus aureus , often referred to as “staph,” are bacteria carried on the skin or in the nose of 25 to 35 percent of healthy people. This is known as colonization. It occurs when the staph bacteria are present or in the body without causing illness. Infection occurs when the staph bacteria causes disease in the person.

In the past, most serious staph bacterial infections were treated with an antibiotic related to penicillin. In recent years, treatment of these infections has become more difficult because staph bacteria have become resistant to various antibiotics, including the commonly used penicillin related antibiotics. These resistant bacteria are called methicillin resistant staphylococcus or MRSA. According to the CDC, one percent of the population is colonized with MRSA.

MRSA infections usually develop in hospitalized patients. However, MRSA rates have increased recently in persons outside of health care facilities, affecting athletes and the physically active.

“Staph or MRSA infections develop from person-to-person contact, shared towels, soaps, improperly cleaned whirlpools and sports equipment,” says Ron Courson, ATC, PT, NREMT-I, CSCS, head athletic trainer at the University of Georgia in Athens, Ga. “Such infections usually appear first as pimples, pustules and boils. Some can be red, swollen, painful and/or have pus or other drainage. The pustules may be confused with insect bites in early states. The infections may also be associated with previous existing turf burns or abrasions. Without proper referral and care, more serious infections may cause pneumonia, bloodstream infections or surgical wound infections.” Courson believes maintaining good hygiene and avoiding contact with drainage from skin lesions are the best methods for preventing MRSA infections.

NATA’s official statement recommends the following precautions be taken:

Keep hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and warm water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer routinely.
Encourage immediate showering following activity.
Avoid whirlpools or common tubs. Individuals with open wounds, scrapes or scratches can easily infect others in this environment.
Avoid sharing towels, razors, and daily athletic gear.
Properly wash athletic gear and towels after each use.
Maintain clean facilities and equipment.
Inform or refer to appropriate health care personnel for all active skin lesions and lesions that do not respond to initial therapy.
Administer or seek proper first aid.
Encourage health care personnel to seek bacterial cultures to establish a diagnosis.
Care and cover skin lesions appropriately before participation.
ATCs throughout the country are celebrating National Athletic Training Month in March promoting the message: "Rehabilitation: Accelerated Return to Activity."

To view the NATA official statement, visit http://www.nata.org/publicinformation/position.htm. For more CA-MRSA information, from the CDC, visit www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/aresist/ca_mrsa_public.htm or visit www.nata.org.

About the National Athletic Trainers’ Asssociation (NATA):

Certified athletic trainers (ATCs) are unique health care providers who specialize in the prevention, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of injuries and illnesses that occur to athletes and the physically active. The National Athletic Trainers' Association (NATA) represents and supports 30,000 members of the athletic training profession through education and research. March is National Athletic Training Month. www.nata.org. NATA, 2952 Stemmons Freeway, Ste. 200, Dallas, TX 75247, 214.637.6282; 214.637.2206 (fax).

littlefingers

Apr 13, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #62 of 75 (3982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all-

It seemed like there were quite a few med folk following this topic, and I thought this news was significant to share. Basically, for those of us who are recieving MRSA infections (and for you med folk treating us), be aware that CA_MRSA can be very quickly lethal if it forms respiratory pneumonia. It has a rapid onset and is often fatal. I'm reacting to this in the following ways; I will treat any respiratory infection very carefully and monitor them, and also make all medical professionals who treat me aware of this condition. I will also be careful to not freak out about this all the time...:-) , but I do think as many people as possible should be aware of all of this to ensure that we get the fastest treatment possible if anything happens.

This is a recent announcement by the CDC:

CDC Reports Severe Influenza-Associated MRSA Pneumonia

The CDC reports 10 cases of severe influenza-associated
community-acquired pneumonia caused by methicillin-resistant
Staphylococcus aureus infection.

The cases, six of them fatal, occurred last December and January in
Louisiana and Georgia; the patients' median age was about 18.
According to a report in MMWR, the cases were especially notable
because of the rapid course of the disease. Death occurred within 4
days of respiratory-symptom onset for four of the six patients who
died, suggesting that the influenza and S. aureus infections occurred
concurrently in these cases.

Four of the patients had documented history of MRSA skin and
soft-tissue infection in themselves or a close contact before
developing pneumonia. The CDC said MRSA should be suspected in severe
pneumonia cases, particularly during flu season, and in patients with
cavitary infiltrates or a history of MRSA infection. In such
instances, treatment should include vancomycin or linezolid.

thanks,
Megan

matterunomama

Apr 13, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #63 of 75 (3958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Megan
In previous posts you have stated the MRSA is "growing at an exponential rate", now you say that 10 cases of lung infection were reported to the CDC. With all due respect, thats not very many.Especially when you put those two statements together. Certainly, if a patient has had MRSA their physician should be made aware of that when treating them for any infection.
The Rock and Ice article you mentioned basically concluded that climbing gyms are not any particular risk for MRSA. Its a dangerous world and I'm sorry for your distress and problems, but you degrade the quality of your important message with the alarmist tone and hyperbole you deliver it with. "rapid rise" in a CDC report can means that an unusual condition has gone from 3 cases per year per million to 11 cases per million.
Wah your hands, take care of your skin and let your doctor know about anything unusual, in view of your medical history. Thats all you can do.
In reply to:

littlefingers

Apr 13, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #64 of 75 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Matterunomama,

With all due respect, please research a bit more before you offer a criticizing and uninformed reply. Ca-Mrsa is increasing at an exponential rate-- just google it, and you will read lots of information on this. In 6 years it has grown to be the leading cause of soft tissue infections in emergency rooms across the country. That is exponential. I don't want to seem alarmist here- I'm just stating what is now common info. As for CA-MRSA pneumonia, I definitely think it's good for us all who have a history with this stuff to be more sensitive when we get the flu.

There are a lot more than 10 reported cases of CA-MRSA pneumonia. There was a whole article about it is Science magazine. This was just the first article to provide information with figures that linked the presence of soft tissue infections to the onset of pneumonia. That's why I posted it.

As for the risk of spreading CA-MRSA in an athletic facility that uses shared equipment, you should re-read the article. If anything, it defends tha argument that it is indeed possible, and that awareness is always good. Awareness keeps all facilites safer. It's something we should be aware of everywhere.

I never wanted to have an alarmist tone-- I actually wonder if you reread my posts if you would still find then alarmist. I respect being informed, and that's really my intent with all of this.

anyway--- I certainly would have found this information on this thread invaluble had I read it before getting really sick. It's the possibility that this information could help someone else from getting sick unneccessarily that I post things here.

The information about CA-MRSA pneumonia is significant information.

Can you clarify exactly what you think I have ever posted that you see as alarmist? I still climb in an indoor facility-- I just don't want other people to climb in the facility I use with active infections like I did. I also wish people at large were more ware of the growing problems of resistant bacteria in general.

I think there's a lot to know about this that people don't know.

Megan

(This post was edited by littlefingers on Apr 13, 2007, 7:33 PM)

matterunomama

Apr 13, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #65 of 75 (3900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

littlefingers wrote:
Matterunomama,

In 6 years it has grown to be the leading cause of soft tissue infections in emergency rooms across the country.
True. People don't go to the emergency room if they have a simple or not alarming infection. Staph aureus in general has always been the most common cause of skin and soft tissue infections
In reply to:
That is exponential.
No, its not. Its increasing but
"exponential' is an alarmist word. Its not the same as 'a growing problem that we have to be aware of"
In reply to:
. As for CA-MRSA pneumonia, I definitely think it's good for us all who have a history with this stuff to be more sensitive when we get the flu.
Yes, it certainly is.
In reply to:

As for the risk of spreading CA-MRSA in an athletic facility that uses shared equipment, you should re-read the article. If anything, it defends tha argument that it is indeed possible, and that awareness is always good. Awareness keeps all facilites safer. It's something we should be aware of everywhere.

Its possible. That doesn't make it likely. Awareness is always good.
In reply to:

I never wanted to have an alarmist tone-- I actually wonder if you reread my posts if you would still find then alarmist. I respect being informed, and that's really my intent with all of this.
Yes, I still find them alarmist. This why: I treat MRSA. Its almost always NOT resistant to several common antibiotics; as a matter of fact most of the time just incising and draining the wound is enough to clear it up.However, it is important to culture the wound. If properly identified most MRSA skin infections are easily treatable. I respect your intent and similarly urge a strong awareness that its out there. However people need to be aware and careful, not fearful of outcomes like necrotising infections, IV antibiotics and deadly pnuemonia. Unless they have HIV, in which case all bets are off. Be careful, be aware, ask your doctor to culture odd wounds
In reply to:

anyway--- I certainly would have found this information on this thread invaluble had I read it before getting really sick.
I'm sorry that you were so sick. I wish you only health now and in the future
In reply to:
It's the possibility that this information could help someone else from getting sick unneccessarily that I post things here.
Thank you. You may indeed stop someone else from unecessary and prolonged illness.Stuff happens. If people are in the know they will watch for the possible.

littlefingers

Apr 13, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #66 of 75 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the thought you put into your reply--

I also agree that I may be more sensitive to creating awareness about CA-MRSA than is necessary for most people who may be reading this forum. Please know I'm trying my hardest to stay objective with it all.

But really, CA-MRSA USA300 just wasn't around in 2000, now it's pretty common stuff. It's even going to start mating with your HA-MRSA and causing all sorts of havoc in your work place. I agree- staph has been around for a long time, and it has a long, long history. But this new PVL CA-MRSA is something of note, and has a few tricks up it's sleeve that plain old staph doesn't. It certainly makes me aware that we are grosly uneducated as a culture on how to use antibiotics properly.

oh- and even though common staph has been around and causing infections in the ER for a while, CA-MRSA is notable in that it causes infections in *healthy* people. I have never gotten a staph infection until the past year. I'm sure you treat a lot more infections in general because of this stuff than you may have 10 years ago. Before staph infected mostly people who wer unhealthy. This isn't the case anymore. And i know of several people who need treatment for CA-MRSA infections with IV antibiotics, surgical debridement, packing, and the whole bit who are otherwise *complely healthy*. No HIV in me or them.

I do think with my case Ca-Mrsa was gym related- perhaps not initially, but I did put people at risk in my facility. There was another person at my gym with a spider bite or infected pimple at the same time that myself and one other person/climber were getting these infections. I've no idea where anything initially came from, but I do know I put others at risk in this facility personally, and there was at least one other person who needed an antibiotic treated infection at the gym during this time period. That's enough chance to make me think I should let people know about this.

It would be the same thing if I had an active infection and I was running a day care facility and picking up kids all day-- i'd let all the parents know.

I also first starting getting these infections after helping to dress another infection on another person/climber having no idea that these infections could be contagious. Do you know how many other families I've been in touch that have passed this through their families not being aware that what they have is contagious?

I do apologize if my choice of words sounds alarmist. I totally agree that most infections are all pretty easily treatable. It's very true though that this is not always the case. It's certainly not always casual stuff-- and even one soft tissue infection can be a real pain to deal with. I don't wish it on anyone, and wish I had been educated from the beginning so I never had to deal with this at all. It's not casual. It does deserve a certain degree of constructive fear.

Hopefully you can understands my concerns and know I want to keep perspectives as accurate and as informed as possible.

Thanks again,
Megan

(This post was edited by littlefingers on Apr 13, 2007, 11:09 PM)

colkurtz

Apr 13, 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #67 of 75 (3876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama wrote:
littlefingers wrote:
Matterunomama,

In 6 years it has grown to be the leading cause of soft tissue infections in emergency rooms across the country.
True. People don't go to the emergency room if they have a simple or not alarming infection. Staph aureus in general has always been the most common cause of skin and soft tissue infections
In reply to:
That is exponential.
"exponential' is an alarmist word. Its not the same as 'a growing problem that we have to be aware of"
In reply to:

yeh. "exponential" is alarmist only if you have no idea what "exponential" means.

you should return your degrees and enroll in a remedial math class.

seriously, do you know anything about biology, math or statistics?

matterunomama

Apr 14, 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #68 of 75 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colkurtz] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colkurtz wrote:
matterunomama wrote:
littlefingers wrote:
Matterunomama,
In reply to:
In reply to:
That is exponential.
In reply to:

yeh. "exponential" is alarmist only if you have no idea what "exponential" means.

you should return your degrees and enroll in a remedial math class.

seriously, do you know anything about biology, math or statistics?
I didn't study math any more than I had to, so you may be right about the technical mathmatical meaning of exponential. At any rate, I was being a bit snippy in disputing Megans choice of the word, when she was probably only using it in its casual common use of "fast".She was extremely gracious in her reply and of course her motivation in posting is kind and helpful as well. I think I'll keep my degree, though-Yale Med hates to give those damn things back. So tedious to change the registrars record.

(This post was edited by matterunomama on Apr 14, 2007, 12:48 AM)

littlefingers

Apr 14, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #69 of 75 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama--

Firstly, please know I have no desire to get into petty arguing. It's just that re-reading your comments, I realize you may be a little misinformed about one issue, and I think it's important for someoen in your line of work who will be commenting as an expert on these things to be clear about;

in 1998, there were literally on average no incidence reportings of Ca-MRSA (USA-300) infections in emergency rooms across the country. Normal staph was there, just no CA-MRSA, and no staph with PVL.

In 2007, CA-MRSA (pvl staph) is now the LEADING cause of soft tissue infections in emergency rooms across the country. This means that there are now more reportable incidences of CA-MRSA infection than normal staph infections. And as I understand in the Boston area, most ER's on average deal with CA-MRSA infections daily.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but your comment you made earlier about staph infections having always caused infections in the ER made me think you didn't realize this distinction. I think PVL staph has some important distinctions from regular staph, and not just because of the range of antibiotics that treat it. It's a different organism--- you get this, right?

Again, there is NO POINT in being scared of this. But it makes me want to knock sense in all medical people and the community about how important it is to be smart about antibiotic use, and to educate your patients to use them properly.

(This post was edited by littlefingers on Apr 14, 2007, 1:03 AM)

matterunomama

Apr 14, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #70 of 75 (3825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
I'm not arguing with you; maybe you misread the post from Colkutz ( challenges and replies get so long it gets confusing-I should have selected out only the more relevant parts of my answer). Colkurz was trashing MY math skills, not yours!
I do agree with the points you bring up in that MRSA used to be a hospital infection that is now being seen at an increasing rate in the community, even in low risk groups.I'm well aware of the epidemiology/difference of the strain, etc. Thank God the community strains are usually sensitive to some common antibiotics IF THEY ARE IDENTIFIED, unlike the we-don't-have-any-drug-to-treat-this panic of some hospital infections. Definitely people have to be aware, never brush off a nasty skin infection and advocate for themselves by insisting the doctor do a culture when indicated. You are doing a great service by raising awareness. As with many long discussions on line, tangents that detracted somewhat from the original intent flare up. Really, I wish you only well and commend you on your primary aim to raise awareness.
Peace,
Mel

littlefingers

Apr 16, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #71 of 75 (3797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama,

If you are open to discussing some aspects of how CA-MRSA is being treated/approached in the medical community, I would love to pick your brain about this.

In addition to treating the immediate needs of your CA-MRSA patients, do you educate them about what it is causing their infections? Do you educate them about how to properly care for their infections so they can prevent spreading this to others?

What is ER policy in your facility for CA-MRSA infections?

matterunomama

Apr 16, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #72 of 75 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
littlefingers wrote:
matterunomama,

If you are open to discussing some aspects of how CA-MRSA is being treated/approached in the medical community, I would love to pick your brain about this.

In addition to treating the immediate needs of your CA-MRSA patients, do you educate them about what it is causing their infections? Do you educate them about how to properly care for their infections so they can prevent spreading this to others?

What is ER policy in your facility for CA-MRSA infections?
I can't speak for the medical community as a whole but I do know that the problem is well-known, its all over both primary care and dermatology journals. Basically, if you have something that isn't going away you should insist on a culture. I work in a private office, so we don't have an ER and I don't know how the problem is represented there. there have been outbreaks in sports teams, facilities, etc, but we also see cases such as an elderly woman with recurrent infections, a teenage boy who does no sports, young women who are exquisitely clean and visit the tanning salon but not the gym..The rule is never assume is someone is "low risk" We culture, we treat (sometimes this involves changing the original antibiotic) and everybody we have treated gets better, although they sometimes have another episode. We tell them the same advice that healthcare people follow-wash yourself, wash common eqipment (alcohol wipes) and be aware. If they are on a sports team they should tell their coach. In our experience there is no problem within families with contagion if they follow normal hygiene. If they have had recurrent episodes we have them wash with hibiclens or another antibacterial. Maybe there is someone out there who works in a more urgent/emergent setting who could weigh in on the kind of complications that we don't see in our office, that are of concern to you.

littlefingers

Apr 17, 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #73 of 75 (3746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the long reply, but I want to explain my thoughts on this;

My interest here is primarily with educating patients about how to care for wounds properly so that they can keep form spreading this while they are contagious.

I do know of several families that have given this to each other-- that's actually fairly common with this, but often associated with a famiy member who was not properly informed about how to clean and contain drainage from the infection, (this is really the stuff that can spread infection from one persom to another)

This infuriates me--- that simple information was denied to someone that could have prevented them from infecting the people they loved. This does and has happened-- even if not in your office. It's especially hard to get rid of when the whole family is infected too, because you can't just treat one isolated person. Everyone has to be treated, and it's really hard to get rid of. Usually going through a 4 month stretch of no infection for a family is really good. That just gives you some idea of people's lives who live with this.

This is something that is passed easily from one person to another if you come into contact with infection drainage. You say you advise "normal hygiene", but that's a pretty simplified term.

Every person responds differently to this. I for one recieved recurring infections about once every 2 months until I went through a pretty intense process of cutting down the amount of bacteria on me. This involved heavy doses of two different antibiotics and more than just normal cleaning measures- (just one example is the sheet washing-- they said to wash them everyday when there was a breakout)

I am amazed that some patients can be treated and never informed that what they have is contagious. It seems that the medical community approaches each case as a single occurance, and fails to really see the big picture here.

This may be overload right now, but I think it is a great topic to discuss. Perspectives in medicine are so often truncated to only include the immediate patient-caregiver interaction. With this particular topic, if medical care-givers could step back a bit a and look at the big picture here, it would do a lot of good for everyone. Education *can* prevent a lot.

And these infections are not as easy as you make them sound-- i know many who need hospitalization of some type. Recurring infections are not uncommon for certain unfortunate people- these people may routinely get infections that require removal of enough skin tissue to leave huge craters in their skin-- literally. Scarring is routine. This people are otherwise completely healthy!

I'm telling you all this because when you say everyone you treats "gets better"... this seems so unreflective of the reality that I and other CA-MRSA patients have known. How do you know your patients are "better"? This is one thing my ID doctor made very clear to me, he said occasionally people may just recieve one infection, but that *most often* they would recive a reoccurance at some point. He was clear that it didn't just "go away". Don't take this as an attack- I'm just sharing info with you that I've aquired from people I feel have a broad range of knowledge on this particular subject.

Hopefully you will find all of this interesting and maybe add to whatever library you've collected with your experiences with CA-MRSA patients.

foeslts16

Apr 17, 2007, 1:32 AM
Post #74 of 75 (3738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we all understand, the world is a dangerous place, take precautions blah blah blah . it could have been articulated in - o - let's say 1 post!

littlefingers

Apr 17, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #75 of 75 (3714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [foeslts16] A heads up to all you folk, (especially those with spider bites) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I find the topic fascinating with many aspects that aren't discussed enough. It may all seem to you like something that can seem easy to explain with one post, but there is so much new information every day about this topic in particular, and it is so interesting to me to see how it is approached by people working with it in different discipines.

It's interesting you find it's a topic that's beat like a dead horse, and that I feel like it's something entirely worthy of conversation and discussion. We're all entitled to a point of view.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook