Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

miademus

Jan 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #1 of 36 (6539 views)
Shortcut

Gu, how effective?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How effective do you find gu gel? ever used it anyway?

gu gel: an energy provider for more long lasting energy;carbonhydrates..etc.

Partner mr8615

Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #2 of 36 (6531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miademus] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

on long, fast routes, gu is irreplacable. unlike a bar of some kind, it doesn't take a lot of water to digest. i hate the taste and texture, but love the energy. you'd have to haul a lot of water to get the same out of a clif or power bar.

big_red

Jan 23, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #3 of 36 (6516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's great as long as you keep up with it... it's easy to crash HARD if you fall behind. It's good to supplement GU with something fatty.

Partner j_ung

Jan 23, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #4 of 36 (6511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [big_red] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only really used it a couple times when I started to bonk and it worked like a charm. It was like a 30-minute reprieve.

tigerlilly

Jan 23, 2007, 2:11 PM
Post #5 of 36 (6499 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

miademus wrote:
How effective do you find gu gel? ever used it anyway?

gu gel: an energy provider for more long lasting energy;carbonhydrates..etc.

I've used them for years while cycling. They're sold in about 100 calorie packets, so they're a good recovery boost if you're bonking, but they aren't going to last long. If you intend to fuel yourself for any length of time with them, I'd suggest getting a flask and the economy sized flask-filler gel container. (Triathletes use these a lot and Tri-shops are good places to get them.) They aren't very cost effective, but you don't have to chew and they are easy to swallow, so they have a convenience thing going for them. If I'm on a casual ride, I'll always have one or two gels with me to ward off the bonk, but I prefer to eat solid food. Except when the temps are in the 90's, when I can't tolerate solid food. Then I live on these. I haven't been climbing long, but carry a few on longer days for similar reasons. I usually throw in one more than I intend to eat, for sharing.

Kathy

scrapedape

Jan 23, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #6 of 36 (6476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gu fueled me through my first marathon in October. I ate one about every 45 minutes throughout the run. It kept my energy level up. Never really used them while climbing.

redpoint73

Jan 23, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 36 (6442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love them. I often don't stop long enough to eat real food or even bars, b/c I'm too ADD. But I can down a gu in about 5 seconds, and takes zero effort to eat. Meanwhile, my partner will be taking 5 minutes to force a bar down and I'm already re-racking gear and sorting the ropes.

The only downside is the used pouches. They get all sticking and messy. So I just bring a Ziploc bag to toss the garbage into.

If you don't like the taste, try the PowerGel green apple flavor. I've tried quite a few brands and flavors, some of them are just nasty, and green apple is by far my favorite. I've gotten some friends to convert to thge green apple, as well. The Gu Espresso Love is pretty good to, if you like coffee.

Another option is the Clif Shot Bloks. They make no mess, and many people like them better then the taste and texture gu's. They are just like eating gummi candies, and 3 Bloks is about comparable to a gu (100 calories).

granite_grrl

Jan 23, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #8 of 36 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never really tried these (if I did more/any bike racing I'm sure I'd be more keen on the idea), but I have heard of people using packets of honey for a carb boost instead of these jells. Of course you haev to find a way to carry honey with you without making a mess.

Has anyone tried the honey thing comparing it to these gels?

microbarn

Jan 23, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #9 of 36 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like them

overlord

Jan 23, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #10 of 36 (6418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i have tried honey, but not the gels, so i cant give you a comparison.

but... honey can be a REAL PITA to transport; it just doesnt want to remain in the container. imho it would be best to keep it in welded plastic baggies. the downside is, the boost is pretty short.

vertical_planar

Jan 23, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #11 of 36 (6406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
it just doesnt want to remain in the container.

where container = stomach, bowels etc Cool

jeremy11

Jan 23, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #12 of 36 (6402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about putting honey in a little squeeze bottle like this one:
http://www.ultimatedirection.com/...amp;page=accessories ??

or what could be mixed into honey for a homemade gu so its longer burning?

overlord

Jan 23, 2007, 4:21 PM
Post #13 of 36 (6395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeremy11 wrote:
how about putting honey in a little squeeze bottle like this one:
http://www.ultimatedirection.com/...amp;page=accessories ??

or what could be mixed into honey for a homemade gu so its longer burning?

depends on how well the bottle seals. like i said, honey is really hard to keep in the container.

as for what to mix... i havent made my own goo yet, but i made some powerbars (well, muffins). i (basicly) put in some rice and oatmeal for complex carbs, and peanutbutter for some fats. then there was some soy for proteins, egg+flour to keep it all together. simple carbs were honey, glucose and 'normal' sugar. they worked pretty well.

pswdfreak

Jan 23, 2007, 4:33 PM
Post #14 of 36 (6387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've mixed honey with lemon lime gatorade in a bottle. It may settle a bit, but you can easily shake it before you drink.

I don't expect it is as effective as gu, but it adds a bit of energy to your drink.

Bruce

greenketch

Jan 23, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #15 of 36 (6354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pswdfreak] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I make my own Gu. Generally I use it on long days as a way to keep the intake up and the volume of food down. Also as mentioned for biking it is great as you can keep a consistant calorie input matched to the output levels. Carrying is easy I use a refillable coughlins tube.

One other part that's great about making it. You can control the consistancy for the temps you are expecting. If it is going to be below freezing it reacts well to reducing with alcohol. Just pick your favorite brandy or other "agent" and bingo cold weather gu.

Partner devkrev

Jan 23, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #16 of 36 (6342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the stuff when I am running, but I tend to stick to solid foods climbing. But living on the East Coast, climbing tends to be cragging, or alot of sitting around. I like Hammer Gel chocolate flavor alot too.

dbrayack

Jan 23, 2007, 6:03 PM
Post #17 of 36 (6334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its pricey, but its part of my standard season diet (before and during climbing.)

Though I've experiemented with a peanut, peanut butter chip, choclate chip trail mix....which works just as well (though I tend to eat it while watching tv....so that's bad!)

t_nut

Jan 24, 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #18 of 36 (6283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
greenketch wrote: I make my own Gu
(will someone please explain the damn quote function to me?)

ewww... yeah, me too.

I like the vanilla bean + caffeine or plain gu for endurance exploits. Though I haven't used them much for cragging. As was stated, they can temporarily relieve the bonk though I think they're designed so you have to keep at 'em at regular intervals to sustain energy levels. Clever marketing?? They're sure not cheap.

I'm told peppermint patties are a good substitute, if you like your patties pepperminty.

shimanilami

Jan 24, 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #19 of 36 (6274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [t_nut] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear a slim hydration pack for all-day climbs, and I don't like putting Cytomax/Gatorade/etc. in the bladder. It gets gross. So I use the gels for calories/caffeine/electrolytes. They work great. I prefer the Cliffshots because they have the leash for the tabs after you tear them off.

csproul

Jan 24, 2007, 1:16 AM
Post #20 of 36 (6248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the best things about Gu....it doesn't freeze, even as cold as -20F...I found out the hard way after all of my other food was too frozen to eat, but the Gu was still good.

greenketch

Jan 24, 2007, 1:19 AM
Post #21 of 36 (6246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [t_nut] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

t_nut wrote:
As was stated, they can temporarily relieve the bonk though I think they're designed so you have to keep at 'em at regular intervals to sustain energy levels. Clever marketing?? They're sure not cheap.

Your prety much right, You need to keep on it or the bonk comes quick. Especially in alpine stuff. I stop for snack water about every half hour. I usually add snacks and make about every other one Gu. After some hours of going at it if you quit any part of the equation it all falls apart.

I don't do Gu when climbing if it is not a sustained enough activity. Now on a multipitch it's nice to have the maximum amount of energy with the least amount of "byproducts."

As to the cost that is why I went to making it. It costs me about $0.20 a shot and if I go to bulk materials it's even cheaper. Usually it's about 25min makes 20 shot batches.

bues0022

Jan 24, 2007, 1:53 AM
Post #22 of 36 (6229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They may not get frozen, but it sure gets damn hard to get out of the package. I've had some nordic ski races down around 0F that the gu turned into a thick sludge. Chocolate is worse than the rest. I find they work well if you keep taking them, but they kind of mask how bad your body is feeling. Once I start on them in a race it's really bad news to stop, like coming off a sugar high.

(This post was edited by bues0022 on Jan 24, 2007, 1:53 AM)

miademus

Jan 24, 2007, 9:47 AM
Post #23 of 36 (6190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found the "how to make your own gu" from alpinedave.com

do you guys know any other ingridients?

redpoint73

Jan 24, 2007, 4:44 PM
Post #24 of 36 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bues0022] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bues0022 wrote:
They may not get frozen, but it sure gets damn hard to get out of the package. I've had some nordic ski races down around 0F that the gu turned into a thick sludge.

Just keep it in an inner pocket. I keep them in my bib Napoleon pocket, under my mid layer and shell. Its still easy to access, and your body heat keeps it plenty warm. I've been out in subzero temps with no problem.

For those that mentioned honey, they sell Honey Stingers. Some people like it since its a real flavor and not weird artificial stuff. Although its not pure honey, they add some stuff (electrolytes, vitamins) to it, so its a bit grainy and gel like. If you like the gu idea, but not the taste then give it a whirl. But I still prefer my PowerGel green apple!

kixx

Jan 24, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #25 of 36 (6102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The http://www.alpinedave.com/make_gu.html site has pretty much nailed it.

The tubes that work best for honey and GU (better than the triathlete bottles) are found here: http://www.rei.com/...REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

I also add the amino acids since they actually do play a big part in sustainable energy found here available in liquid form which is best): http://www.twinlab.com/...;Subcategory_ID=MASS

The other electrolyte ingredients can be found in these pills which can be easily opened and dumped into your GU mix: http://www.e-caps.com/...,10047&AMI=10104

Keep a 1L bottle of the stuff with you on multi day stuff and just keep refilling your Gu tubes which you should keep close to keep them warm in the cold.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook