Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gochubug

Jan 24, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #26 of 36 (778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miademus] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm addicted to the stuff! Tongue

Don't use it much for cragging, but for approaches and alpine routes it keeps my tank filled.

Once I lost my whole supply at a rest stop and barely made it through the climb. Unsure

tradrenn

Jan 25, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #27 of 36 (768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [t_nut] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

t_nut wrote:
In reply to:
greenketch wrote: I make my own Gu
(will someone please explain the damn quote function to me?)

Is this what you had in mind ?

t_nut wrote:
greenketch wrote:
I make my own Gu

If yes then click on quote and you will see the difference between your post and mine. I hope you can figure out the difference from there.

Does this help ?
( quote me with answer )

t_nut

Jan 25, 2007, 1:47 AM
Post #28 of 36 (763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
t_nut wrote:
In reply to:
greenketch wrote: I make my own Gu

Is this what you had in mind ?

t_nut wrote:
greenketch wrote:
I make my own Gu

If yes then click on quote and you will see the difference between your post and mine. I hope you can figure out the difference from there.

Does this help ?
( quote me with answer )

ahh, yes... thanks kindly. durr.

roninthorne

Jan 25, 2007, 2:00 AM
Post #29 of 36 (758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally prefer Gu's Chocolate, but mostly use PowRGels. I try to keep an assortment of caffeinated and non-, but since I'm a caffeine addict (lifetime in military/construction/showbiz), the majority tend to be "with".

I usually try to supplement them with aminos and some herbal additives, as well.... 350 mgs of ginseng, a Full Throttle Blue Demon mixed into a Powerade with Cytomax, and a couple of rocks of meth...

(actually I was just joking about the meth... or was that the Cytomax...?)

greenketch

Jan 25, 2007, 3:57 AM
Post #30 of 36 (751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Alpinedave recipe is very close to the one I use. Funny how they come out pretty close when you are making something closeWink I use a portion of Brown rice syrup in addition. I also do not add the Amino's. I use a sports drink mix in reduced proportions added to the water bottle. I find this helps in the water taste and reallty don't find the need to double up on them in the Gu.

As to the cold thing I was serious in my previous comment about reduceing with brandy or rum. Dave comments about flavoring with an alcohol base. If I am going to be in the cold I just alter the mix as required. Just got back from 4 days at varying from 0-34 f and the Gu lived in an outside pocket of the pack. Always tasty and never to thick.

miademus

Jan 26, 2007, 9:15 AM
Post #31 of 36 (723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...can i use also other malt sorts?

and instead of fructose, tractose?

greenketch

Jan 26, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #32 of 36 (719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other malt sorts yes, I have experimented with Brandy, Rum, Schnapps, Whiskey, and Liquor. The critical element is the alcohol which is actually doing the reduction. Whatever flavor you want to supplement that with is up to you. Keep in mind that the lower levels stuff is more flavor and less reduction. Kahulua tastes good but doesn't lower the thickening point much for instance.

When you make it the ratio of pectin to acid level is really what controls the thickness. If I am making a new batch that I know will go straight to cold use I just make it at a thinner consistancy.

As to he tractose I would believe so. I have very little experience with that as an ingredient. ( I am assuming it to be a simple carb product) What you are really doing is mixing simple carbohydrates with differant assimilation rates to cater the energy boost to your style. That is I'm sure why AlpineDave no syrup while I use Brown Rice syrup.

I will take a bit to get back home but will post up my recipe.

miademus

Jan 26, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #33 of 36 (709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

greenketch wrote:
That is I'm sure why AlpineDave no syrup while I use Brown Rice syrup.

I will take a bit to get back home but will post up my recipe.

...well that was taking me to ask you what's your recipe, and one thing about alpinedave's recipe is that he hadn't mentioned the right amount of pectin,sea salt,calcium carbonate..it is jsut said as a pinch....

what effect has the syrup? and what else can i use?

greenketch

Jan 30, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #34 of 36 (695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Miademus, Here's whats up on my recipe. I use a portion of Brown Rice Syrup as it is a differant sort of Carb. By changing the ratios you can cater the absorption rate. I mostly have a healthy shot about once every 70 -90 minutes. At the halfway point in these cycles I have something a little more solid to snack on. The syrup adds some longevity. If I am making a batch for short intense use I drop the syrup. Don't mess with the Maltodextrin to water ratio much as it really affects the consistancy. But if you want a more instant boost change the fructose-maltodextrin ratio and then alter water accordingly.

On the ingrediants I find the best sources are:

Grocery store:
Pectin
Sea Salt
Flavoring

Health Food store or Organic market:
Fructose
Brown rice syrup

Brew Store or online:
Maltodextrin
citric acid
calcium carbonate

The recipe is:

In a small bowl or cup mix 1/2 tsp citric acid, 1/2 tsp. ( make the acid a little strong and/or the calcium a little shy) Measure and set aside 1/8 tsp of Sea Salt (more can go in if you desire)

In a 1 Qt saucepan mix 1/4 cup fructose, 1/2cup Maltodextrin and 1/4 cup water. Mixture will be a little pasty. Heat over medium high heat stirring frequently. All the ingredients will go into suspension and the mix turns clear just before the boiling point. At this point stir constantly until all the lumps are dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in Sea Salt then add acid calcium mixture. (Side note; it is a result of the acidity and the sugars that react with the pectin to thicken. If you want this thick for hot weather use add a little extra citric acid.) Once these are dissolved stir in 1/4 cup Rice syrup. Stir in 3/4 tsp of Pectin. (When you buy this make sure you buy Standard not the reduced sugar or calcium thickening types) Stir in well. Add flavor of choice to taste. Make sure that whatever flavor you use it is an alcohol base. I have used Almond, Mint, Spearmint, Rum, and coconut all fairly well. I didn't like the mint, Vanilla would work as well.

Often there is a slight foaming reaction when yo add the pectin. I just cover it and let it cool before putting it in tubes and this clears up on it's own.

if you are using the Liquor reduction for cold weather use let it cool fully before you add it. I trial mine in fridge or freezer when playing with new mixes. just stir in a little and place in appropriate temp range if it is too thick add a little more.

Try to make it up front for the minimum amount of fussing later.

As to Daves recipe it is real close. When measuring a pinch is "pinch your forefinger and thumb lightly in the material. When you shake it off what remains trapped is a pinch. It is usually a little less than 1/8tsp.

This should give you a good place to start. Beer makers use maltodextrin to "condition" the body of the beers. You can by small packs to see if this is for you or the big 15# bags. When I get the large bags and bulk materials I find my cost drops to under $0.15 a shot.

zakadamsgt

Jan 30, 2007, 6:02 PM
Post #35 of 36 (683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i carry a jar of honey with me. or make peanut butter and honey sandwiches for the crag. I get a great boost from these sandwiches...the only downside is you have to take time to eat them, and a lot of the time, i'm not hungry when i climb. i use the cliff shots a lot, and they work well. i like honey best though...

greenketch

Jan 30, 2007, 6:30 PM
Post #36 of 36 (677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zakadamsgt] Gu, how effective? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey PB&J works. I have a partner that on bigger trips will make an entire loaf of bread in to them. Then he very neatly stacks them back in to the breadsack and squashes the whole pile nice and uniform like. Claims they are going to get it anyway might as well do it his way.

I have to admit that his entire weekend worth of food is really a pretty dense efficient energy sourceWink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook