RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

JiBs22

Jan 30, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #1 of 21 (1818 views)
Shortcut

Top Gun for first rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about getting a Beal Top Gun 10.5mm x 60 standard rope as my first rope...It will be my rope to learn leading on, and will see some weekend top roping I'm sure....

I want to get into trad once I get the rest of my military Bonus....but that might be a few months....

Anyone have this rope? or suggest any other first timer ropes?....its $149.00

(This post was edited by JiBs22 on Jan 30, 2007, 1:58 AM)

dr_feelgood

Jan 30, 2007, 4:47 AM
Post #2 of 21 (1785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JiBs22] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JiBs22 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a Beal Top Gun 10.5mm x 60 standard rope as my first rope...It will be my rope to learn leading on, and will see some weekend top roping I'm sure....

I want to get into trad once I get the rest of my military Bonus....but that might be a few months....

Anyone have this rope? or suggest any other first timer ropes?....its $149.00

I got a suggestion you don't want to hear....
Don't join the military.
It's so not worth it.

JiBs22

Jan 30, 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #3 of 21 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen brother...there isn't a human in the entire world that would stress that more than I would...I sham all day long, everyday, despise my job and the Army and pretty much am out to fuck with people and waste their money for the next 3 years of my contract that I got fucked into...

(This post was edited by JiBs22 on Jan 30, 2007, 11:43 AM)

reg

Jan 30, 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet cord - nice hand - soft catch - lots of falls - good price. ya can't go wrong. lot of stretch so watch it on lead. keep your falls short - plug in a lot of gear

mattyp

Jan 30, 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shut up and grow a pair. Why don't you be a man and do what you promised to do when you raised your right hand. And as far as the contract, let me guess, the bad man made you do it. It is people with piss poor attitudes like yours that make the Army a bad place to be. Fulfill your obligation and then get out. Don't piss and moan about how bad it is.

(This post was edited by mattyp on Jan 30, 2007, 12:47 PM)

Partner alexmac

Jan 30, 2007, 1:38 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattyp] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattyp wrote:
Shut up and grow a pair. Why don't you be a man and do what you promised to do when you raised your right hand. And as far as the contract, let me guess, the bad man made you do it. It is people with piss poor attitudes like yours that make the Army a bad place to be. Fulfill your obligation and then get out. Don't piss and moan about how bad it is.

Either way, once he comes under fire he will either grow a pair, dump a load or come back with the nick name stumpy while trying to figure out how he can trad with a wheel chair.

(This post was edited by alexmac on Jan 30, 2007, 1:38 PM)

mattyp

Jan 30, 2007, 1:42 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice.

JiBs22

Jan 30, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey dickface, I am fulfilling my contract, thus i said I have 3 more years...I hate my job but I'm not going to fake a back injury or depression or killing myself like tons of people do. I signed a contract for 4 years so I will do 4 years....but no "the bad man" didn't make me do it...but he did say all I was eligable for was Infantry when I aced my ASVAB and could've done anything...Now I get pushed into The Old Guard, and I bury people for a living...this is not what I wanted to do. Don't sit back and judge me because you either A. served and are one of the few who enjoyed your time, B. served in the guard or reserves and thinks he did something, or C. is one of the unfortunate saps that re-enlisted

And give me a damn suggestion on the rope!...stop getting off subject

(This post was edited by JiBs22 on Jan 30, 2007, 1:51 PM)

dynosore

Jan 30, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edelwiess Axis, 10.3, 119$ at gearexpress.com is a great rope, dry treated too.

O/T Uh sounds like there was room in your "contract" for you to get put most anywhere. Next time you sign a contract, know what you're signing. Of course they told you what you wanted to hear to get you to sign up. Ever buy a car? A home? Hard lesson learned. Suggestion: make the best of the next 3 years, your attitude will only harm you in the long run, you're not going to "show" anyone anything by being miserable to be around.

mattyp

Jan 30, 2007, 2:46 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Old Guard is a volunteer assignment. They have a representative come by at basic training and ask for volunteers that meet the requirements: height, military occupational specialty, and "the look". Ranger Regt., Airborne School, and a few others do the same thing to pluck those young impressionable minds right out of the brain washing of basic training. And yes, there is that "Good of the service" clause in everything you sign in the Army which means that despite whatever else is in the contract, it can change.

<edit> Sorry, this was a thread about a rope, right? I like my 10.5 Mammut Flash that I got on Steep and Cheap for 89 bucks. I also have the Maxim Levitattor( a 10.5). They are both good tough ropes.

(This post was edited by mattyp on Jan 30, 2007, 2:48 PM)

markc

Jan 30, 2007, 2:46 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
Edelwiess Axis, 10.3, 119$ at gearexpress.com is a great rope, dry treated too.

For a first rope I always recommend the least expensive rope around 10.5 mm x 60 m. This sounds like the winner. At $150, the other rope the OP is considering wouldn't be a bad way to go, either.

fitzontherocks

Jan 30, 2007, 2:56 PM
Post #12 of 21 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hope nobody minds if I actually talk about the rope here. I had the Top Gun as my first rope and it was sweet. Especially since it was rated highly for falls. 'Cuase I took a lot when I was learning. Go figure. Later, I came to appreciate its low impact force. Makes for a nice, soft catch. And the thing lasts and lasts. As for the Army, it's like they say about summitting. Getting to the top is optional. Getting back down is mandatory.

thabadcharacter

Jan 30, 2007, 3:57 PM
Post #13 of 21 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have gone through quite a few ropes from quite a few brands and have really never been satisfied with any of the Beal ropes I have owned. The Top Gun in particular just feels like it has a very slick hand to it, and is just not as supple as I would like. I would liken it to wax string if youve ever felt that.

I have always been a fan of the Sterlings though. The Evolution is a great model and if you go with the 10.5 I think it is, then it will be beefy enough to withstand some top rope abuse while still giving you a light enough cord to cut your lead teeth on.
But seriously, do not bite the rope. Bad form.

JiBs22

Jan 30, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thabadcharacter] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok guys - thanks for the reply - my and mattyp will work out our opinions in PMs from now on....I think I'm going to get the Beal as my climbing partner has a 2 month old Flash with no falls....

Thanks guys!

primus

Jan 30, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #15 of 21 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the Edelweiss Axis. It's a bit stiff to start, but it breaks in real nice. Stout, durable rope. 10.2 mm makes it lighter than a 10.5; dry-treatment increases longevity. I read a lot of stuff on how people had problems with it getting all tangled, but I took my time when uncoiling it the first time and have not had any problems. Bottom line: for $119, you can't beat it.

Partner alexmac

Jan 30, 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mattyp wrote:
The Old Guard is a volunteer assignment. They have a representative come by at basic training and ask for volunteers that meet the requirements: height, military occupational specialty, and "the look". Ranger Regt., Airborne School, and a few others do the same thing to pluck those young impressionable minds right out of the brain washing of basic training. And yes, there is that "Good of the service" clause in everything you sign in the Army which means that despite whatever else is in the contract, it can change.

<edit> Sorry, this was a thread about a rope, right? I like my 10.5 Mammut Flash that I got on Steep and Cheap for 89 bucks. I also have the Maxim Levitattor( a 10.5). They are both good tough ropes.

Good point..

I have used the rope he's using, just don't like his gripping, so no data available.

overlord

Jan 31, 2007, 8:14 AM
Post #17 of 21 (1551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

top gun was my first rope and i can only recommend it.

tradrenn

Jan 31, 2007, 2:39 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Beal Top Gun was the first rope that I bought, then it got old and I made a mistake of trying other manufacturers. ( 2 of them ) 3 years later I'm back to Beal.

kevinheiss

Feb 1, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That rope should be fine as a first rope. It's a 10.5mm and 60m which is what most people recommend to get as a frist rope.

Kevin

styndall

Feb 1, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
mattyp wrote:

Either way, once he comes under fire he will either grow a pair, dump a load or come back with the nick name stumpy while trying to figure out how he can trad with a wheel chair.

That's a real asshole thing to say, man.

Why don't you wish him cancer while you're at it.

ocary

Feb 1, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Top Gun for first rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...come back with the nick name stumpy...

Alexmac. My best friend is currently laid up in a Walter Reed Hospital in DC after losing his right arm below the elbow and part of his left hand fron an IED.

Having a pair and coming back stumpy do not necessarily have anything to do with each other. They sure as hell didn't in this case.

So... STFU!

On topic: Lead sport and TRed on TopGuns. No complaints.

N.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook