RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

redpoint_dog

Feb 6, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #1 of 20 (6520 views)
Shortcut

Double Ropes Sport climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When using double ropes sport climbing would it be better to clip both ropes in to each bolt, or would it be better to alternate form bolt to bolt?

(This post was edited by redpoint_dog on Feb 6, 2007, 11:18 PM)

overlord

Feb 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #2 of 20 (6507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint_dog] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it would be better to alternate. that way you get a softer catch and you actually dont have much slack in the system (while pulling the slack to clip, youre pulling the strand from the second highest bolt and not the one directly below you).

offcourse you can clip both strands, but then you must do so all the time (or you risk some serious friction between strands), and youll get a higher impact force. that turns the double into a slightly heavier, more redundant single rope (or, if were more precise into a twin rope).

(This post was edited by overlord on Feb 6, 2007, 11:15 PM)

redpoint_dog

Feb 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 20 (6504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet as. Thats what I thought I just wanted a second opion. Cheers

metrogroaz

Feb 6, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 20 (6500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.gunks.com/rock/double_ropes/dropes_intro.htm

More information than anyone should type about double ropesSly

Partner robdotcalm

Feb 6, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #5 of 20 (6486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [metrogroaz] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alternate. The time I best like double ropes is when I'm clipping the 2nd bolt and don't have to pull a lot of rope past the 1st bolt.

rob.calm

sterlingjim

Feb 7, 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #6 of 20 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If using half ropes they should be alternated or at least clipped separately. If using twin ropes they should be clipped together.
On a side note: contrary to popular belief half ropes do not deliver a lower impact force than single ropes.

pylonhead

Feb 7, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 20 (6382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [metrogroaz] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

metrogroaz wrote:
http://www.gunks.com/rock/double_ropes/dropes_intro.htm

More information than anyone should type about double ropesSly

I couldn't get your link to work, but searching google found:

http://www.gunks.com/...smGroup=2&smID=4

sterlingjim

Feb 7, 2007, 2:51 AM
Post #8 of 20 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to confess a pet peeve of mine. Officially speaking double ropes do not exist. There are half ropes and twin ropes. The definitions and functions of each are different. So when talking about double ropes it is important to understand which type is being discussed.

metrogroaz

Feb 7, 2007, 2:57 AM
Post #9 of 20 (6359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank ya

kixx

Feb 7, 2007, 2:30 PM
Post #10 of 20 (6309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SterlingJim,

You said that a double rope does not deliver lower impact forces than singles - this is contrary to what I believe and I'd like to hear more about it. Are there any good papers or articcles from your company or third parties that you know of which talk about impact forces on double ropes versus singles.

Partner brent_e

Feb 7, 2007, 9:58 PM
Post #11 of 20 (6264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kixx wrote:
SterlingJim,

You said that a double rope does not deliver lower impact forces than singles - this is contrary to what I believe and I'd like to hear more about it. Are there any good papers or articcles from your company or third parties that you know of which talk about impact forces on double ropes versus singles.

agreed,
I'd like to hear about it, too.

Brent

cchildre

Feb 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #12 of 20 (6247 views)
Shortcut

Re: Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kixx wrote:
SterlingJim,

Basic:
Twin Rope: 5.2 kN for an Edelweiss Oxygen 8.2mm
Double Rope: 9kN for an Edelweiss Duolight 8mm - Twin Rope
Single Rope: 8.2kN for an Edelweiss 'Laser' 9.6

You need to understand how the physics work and what you need to achieve with each rope system. Typicall reasons: and correct me if I am wrong here please.

with twins, your looking to lower the chance of a cut rope on a ledge or fallen block. Redundancy is key
with half, your looking to lower impact force and rope drag, with limited redundancy.
Single, is what it is

overlord

Feb 7, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #13 of 20 (6240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cchildre] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cchildre wrote:
kixx wrote:
SterlingJim,

Basic:
Twin Rope: 5.2 kN for an Edelweiss Oxygen 8.2mm
Double Rope: 9kN for an Edelweiss Duolight 8mm - Twin Rope
Single Rope: 8.2kN for an Edelweiss 'Laser' 9.6

You need to understand how the physics work and what you need to achieve with each rope system. Typicall reasons: and correct me if I am wrong here please.

with twins, your looking to lower the chance of a cut rope on a ledge or fallen block. Redundancy is key
with half, your looking to lower impact force and rope drag, with limited redundancy.
Single, is what it is

well, oxygen is a double rope, not a twin rope. and duolight is a twin rope.

doubles are tested with only one strand at a time, while twins are with boths strands at the same time. its logical that a single strand of a double rope has a lower impact force than a single strand of single rope. but if you would clip a double as a twin, it would have a higher impact force.

(This post was edited by overlord on Feb 7, 2007, 11:12 PM)

petsfed

Feb 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #14 of 20 (6225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh forget it. I'm no Richard Feynman. I can't explain the math I've done to show it.

The short version is that using half ropes as twins effectively doubles the peak impact force on the system, whereas using twins as halves cuts the peak impact force on the system in two, but causes the rope to stretch so much it may not be able to absorb all the energy and so break.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Feb 8, 2007, 12:35 AM)

phillygoat

Feb 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #15 of 20 (6194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just as confused as ever...

ja1484

Feb 8, 2007, 1:25 AM
Post #16 of 20 (6159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting back to the topic at hand and the OPs original question:

It would be better to get a single line and stop futzing around with twins or halfs on sport climbs. That's exactly what you need on the phsyically challenging, technically demanding, highly gymnastic sport climbs: To be hauling twice as much line and taking longer to organize your clips.

*farting noise*

Get a relatively svelte single rope, something in the 9.8 - 10.2 range, and be happy. If you're climbing on sharp rock and worried about chopping a rope in a fall...pad the edges or climb somewhere else.

sterlingjim

Feb 8, 2007, 3:34 PM
Post #17 of 20 (6132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kixx] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Half ropes appear to have lower impact forces than singles because they are tested with 55kg instead of the 80kg used for single ropes and twins.
I did some quick tests on this issue last fall for a friend who was curious. Here are the results:

These drops were conducted without the regulation conditioning but complied with all other requirements and procedures. Relative humidity was 42%, temperature was 20ºC for 48 hours.

Rope A. 80kg-7.35kN, 55kg-5.39kN, published with 55kg-4.85kN
Rope B. 80kg-8.15kN, 55kg-6.23kN, published with 55kg-6.3kN
Rope C. 80kg-8.23kN, 55kg-6.25kN, published with 55kg-6.5kN
Rope D. 80kg-9.22kN, 55kg-5.88kN, published with 55kg-6.1kN

I had posted this up someplace else but can't remember where. I think Will Gadd has it up on his blogg. It may also have been posted up in a discussion at Supertopo.com

Half ropes have to have all the same properties of single ropes with the exception of peak impact to compensate for the smaller mass. So even though the ropes are relatively thin they still have to offer enough resistance to not elongate more than 10% with the 80kg. Impact force is measured and reported only from the first drop in the series. I would like to point out that the impact numbers you see printed on the hang tags will not be accurate in the field unless the temperature and humidity are precisely the same as the lab test conditions. More over, all the published numbers for any given rope are basically void after the first use.

Partner brent_e

Feb 8, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #18 of 20 (6109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sterlingjim wrote:
Half ropes appear to have lower impact forces than singles because they are tested with 55kg instead of the 80kg used for single ropes and twins.
I did some quick tests on this issue last fall for a friend who was curious. Here are the results:

These drops were conducted without the regulation conditioning but complied with all other requirements and procedures. Relative humidity was 42%, temperature was 20�C for 48 hours.

Rope A. 80kg-7.35kN, 55kg-5.39kN, published with 55kg-4.85kN
Rope B. 80kg-8.15kN, 55kg-6.23kN, published with 55kg-6.3kN
Rope C. 80kg-8.23kN, 55kg-6.25kN, published with 55kg-6.5kN
Rope D. 80kg-9.22kN, 55kg-5.88kN, published with 55kg-6.1kN

I had posted this up someplace else but can't remember where. I think Will Gadd has it up on his blogg. It may also have been posted up in a discussion at Supertopo.com

Half ropes have to have all the same properties of single ropes with the exception of peak impact to compensate for the smaller mass. So even though the ropes are relatively thin they still have to offer enough resistance to not elongate more than 10% with the 80kg. Impact force is measured and reported only from the first drop in the series. I would like to point out that the impact numbers you see printed on the hang tags will not be accurate in the field unless the temperature and humidity are precisely the same as the lab test conditions. More over, all the published numbers for any given rope are basically void after the first use.

so, pretty much what you're saying is that if one wants to have less force on them or a piece, use a single rope, or use double and screamers?

I guess that negates the idea that using doubles to lower impact force on an ice screw is pretty much bunk then. At least you still have 2 targets to hit with your tools or kick with your feet.

scrapedape

Feb 10, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #19 of 20 (6057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jim, you posted these results in The Lab forum here in response to a question I had asked:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ring=double;#1394069

Someone else raised the question in that thread of whether half ropes might still provide a softer catch in lower-FF situations.

Partner rgold

Feb 10, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #20 of 20 (6039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Double Ropes Sport climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On pitches with wandering protection, properly used half ropes will run in straighter lines than a single rope. With the reduction in carabiner friction comes the availability of effectively longer sections of rope for energy absorbtion, and so an effectively lower fall factor than is available from the single rope configuration.

This might account for some of the general impression about half ropes providing softer catches.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook