RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

patioogden

Feb 8, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3441 views)
Shortcut

wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey! My fiance and I live in Williamsburg, Virginia, and are heading out West for three weeks in May, mainly to Moab but are pretty flexible. We both visualize getting hitched at the top of a beautiful desert tower. Does anyone know of any ordained type person who rock climbs who would be willing to officiate a ceremony? We have several friends who have offered to get ordained on the internet and come out there with us, but I heard that internet ministers were not recognized in Utah. Is this true? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Patty and Peter

wilcox510

Feb 8, 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patioogden] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont know anyone for you, but Utah does recognize internet ordained ministers (they better, or my upcoming wedding will all be a sham and we'll be forced to continue living in sin!)

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 8, 2007, 3:55 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd check out Solid Rock- Climbers for Christ. I'm sure there's a few members who are ordained.

http://srcfc.org/

lemon_boy

Feb 8, 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in colorado you can marry yourselves. saves you hassle, expenses, etc. just climb something, marry yourselves, and then go on a kick ass road trip honeymoon. you could climb any one of numerous towers in colorado national monument. or, you could climb a tower in utah and just say that you climbed one in colorado. either way, it is so much better than a billy idol wedding.

Partner robdotcalm

Feb 8, 2007, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 15 years ago, a friend and I climbed Colorado Monument. We had noticed a party of 3 ahead of us. When we got to the top, we found out it was a minister and a couple getting married. They asked us to be witnesses. So we stood there and then signed some papers and wished them good luck. I have no remeberance of the names of anybody in the wedding.

cheers, rob.calm

granite_grrl

Feb 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I were thinking of getting married on top of Devils Tower (didn't work out in the end). One we had was to find someone willing to climb and pay for them to be guided up the tower.

Good luck!

shimanilami

Feb 9, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I got married on the pendulum pitch of Royal Arches in the Valley. My climbing partner was minister-for-a-day. It worked out great.

I don't know about temporary ministers in Utah. You may want to check with ULC.org, SpiritualHumanism.org, or whichever group your minister will be "ordained" in for that info. I've found they're pretty helpful with this stuff. (I've done a few weddings myself, I might add.)

One recommendation I've got is that you ID a witness and a photographer also. We trolled Camp 4 and offered a six pack of beer for the service and two guys were up for it. They couldn't photo worth a damn, but we got some decent pic's anyway. But it sounds like you'll be in a pretty spectacular place, so you might as well get some good photos. (Offer beer. It works.)

I'd imagine that if you know any climbers in the area, you should be able to stir up some volunteers. But I'm in SF, so I can't help you with that.

PM me if you want. I've got some other tips. (Tuxedo t-shirt was sweet. Viel pulled out at belay and flying in the wind was sweet ... minister in black shirt with climbing tape on his collar ... etc.)

flamer

Feb 10, 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lemon_boy wrote:
in colorado you can marry yourselves.

It doesn't really work like that....it's called "common law marriage" It's more about timeline's, co-habition, combining finance's, and most importantly presenting yourself as husband and wife. But It's not a ceremony type thing and then you're married....

josh

crackrn

Feb 12, 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This could apply:

Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution of the United States of America, which reads:

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect there of.

So, if internet ministers could marry you in VA, they could marry you in UT...theoretically.

Partner oldsalt

Feb 12, 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It won't hurt to ask...

I officiated for my son and daughter-in-law, as an elder in the Presbyterian Church. That was valid in Florida. It that is a valid requirement in UT, then I am technically your man.

Now for the drawbacks:

I need a tower in the 5.8 range or less.

I need travel expenses from Florida, since I can't afford to go to Moab any other way.

Finally, I require Droit du seigneur . (If my wife lets me)

lemon_boy

Feb 12, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #11 of 18 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer,

actually it is a full on legal marriage. you just marry yourselves, and on the marriage certificate license where it asks for a witness (or whatever, i can't remember off hand), there is a certain phrase that you have to sign. i was sceptical at first also, but we went to the county clerk's office and they explained it all, gave us the certificate/license, and then afterwards we returned it for them to sign off on. we have several other friends who had done it this way and that is where we got the idea from.

patioogden

Feb 12, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh darn, we were hoping to climb Otto's Route on Independence Monument in CO and just swear undying love, then high-five! The search continues...

gbmaz

Feb 12, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
lemon_boy wrote:
in colorado you can marry yourselves.

It doesn't really work like that....it's called "common law marriage" It's more about timeline's, co-habition, combining finance's, and most importantly presenting yourself as husband and wife. But It's not a ceremony type thing and then you're married....

josh

Actually you wrong about that Josh. In Colorado you can marry yourselves with no witnesses, clergy or judge. When I got my marriage license at the Ouray County courthouse the clerk asked us if the wedding was going to be religious, civil or "do-it-yourself". Having researched our options we chose the last and married ourselves on a viewing platform at the ice park the next day. We signed in the appropriate spots and mailed it back to the clerk where it was certified.

In reply to:
Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S 14-2-109) in Colorado. They must apply for paper work from the County Courthouse in order to do this. However, friends or relatives can not solemnize their marriage. Out-of-state Clergy need not be registered in Colorado.

From http://marriage.about.com/...enses/p/colorado.htm

We spent our Wedding Day climbing with friends and then married ourselves just before sundown on March 19th, 2004. The best day of my life and hands down the best choice for us for a wedding. Just a few friends and a video camera to record it for our families.

Climbing and marriage - the 2 most exciting adventures. Cool

George

patioogden

Feb 12, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #14 of 18 (3173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lemon_boy] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool! Thanks Lemon_Boy and Gbmaz! We really have taken off with this idea, Independence Monument, here we come!!!!

gbmaz

Feb 12, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patioogden wrote:
Cool! Thanks Lemon_Boy and Gbmaz! We really have taken off with this idea, Independence Monument, here we come!!!!

For some more encouragement this is our story:

My wife and I had both been married before in medium sized traditional weddings. When we announced our engagement we started getting lots of "Talk to us before you set a date" from some family members. At that point we started thinking "screw that we will just get married in Vegas", but I remembered some friends from CO who had married themselves. A little research revealed that there is no residence requirement, so our big ice climbing trip (we lived in Tucson, AZ at the time) took on a new meaning.

My wife made our wedding outfits (a white fleece jacket for her and a black one for me) and surprised me at the last minute with a fleece hat complete with bridal veil. We bought a bouquet at the little florist shop in Ouray, wrote our vows and everything was set. One of my best friends/climbing partners and his wife was there along with my wifes sister who lives nearby. They shot lots of pictures and a video that we made into a DVD and sent to our families. The DVD included a copy of our vows and ceremony.

There was some grumbling from some family members, but sharing the video with them went a long way towards smoothing that over. Everyone soon came to understand how much it meant to us to do things OUR way in a place that we love. As a bonus every time we got to climb in Ouray it has an extra special meaning for us. It also cost us less than $150 for the whole thing. That is a lot of "cams and ice screws" we saved by doing the wedding that way.Cool

I don't know how old you are or what the deal is with your family, but getting married in a way that speaks to who you both are is very special. All too often weddings are about everything BUT the bride and groom. Seize the day.......having said that don't forget the possibilities of hurt feelings and find a special way to share the moment with your family - video, pictures, a party after you get back from your climbing roadtrip/honeymoon, etc.

Best of luck,

George Marsden

PS: My wedding vows included "To love honor and belay..."

coastal_climber

Feb 12, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbmaz] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're driving, I'll do it for free!

Cool

patioogden

Feb 12, 2007, 3:50 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbmaz] wedding officiants who rock climb/Moab/May [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey George,
Thank you so much for your story! Yeah, your story is similar to mine. I've been married before, have three kids (I'm 42), Peter is 37 but has never been married. His mom started in on all of the big church wedding/colors/invitations/details stuff and Peter and I just looked at each other and said "This is not US!" So we ever-so-respectfully told her that we understand her feelings, but this is OUR wedding and a rock climbing wedding is US. She took it pretty well! You're right, we just need to get lots of photos and perhaps a video, and have a party when we get back. We also tossed around a Vegas wedding, but neither of us are city folks and it just didn't seem right. I loved your photo!!!! I was thinking of packing a wedding dress and bouquet in a backpack, and changing at the top of the tower. Thank you for the inspiration!

lemon_boy

Feb 12, 2007, 4:28 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

patioogden,

my wife and i climbed a nice pinnacle via a moderate route. when we got to the top, she made me close my eyes, and then she put on a sexy wedding dress. we had written vows for each other and read those, and just enjoyed the scenery around us. it was definitely one of the greatest days of my life. neither of us really enjoy being centers of attention, and a full on wedding would have been pretty stressful.

to make the fams and friends happy, we had a big wedding shindig a week later at a gorgeous area with a river and a bunch of rock around it. we set up a bunch of topropes on an easy slab. people from 3 years old to my 74 year old uncle got to try out climbing. then, we drank good beer and ate great food. our friends and families had a blast, and all of them said that it was by far the funnest wedding celebration that they had ever been to.

ultimately, i think it is key to rememer that it is YOUR (both of you) day. do whatever it is that makes you guys happy. the best way to start off a good marriage is to both enjoy our wedding day.

good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook