RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bbjammin23

Feb 7, 2007, 4:39 AM
Post #1 of 3 (425 views)
Shortcut

Thailand or Vietnam?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

That's the question ladies and gents, love to hear where you prefer to climb (deep water solo) and why. thanx!

ultraloveninja

Feb 7, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #2 of 3 (380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbjammin23] Thailand or Vietnam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

after watching the video "First Ascent" it looks like Thailand is pretty good for DWS.

slopony

Feb 15, 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 3 (315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbjammin23] Thailand or Vietnam? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Bjammin,

I live in Vietnam in Ha Long Bay, where the Dose was shot of Tim E. and Klem DWS. I've also spent extensive time in Railay. There are pros and cons to both places, but I'd say either one is sure bet for some of the best psycho bouldering fun that one could have.

Thailand: Krabi Province is the hub of climbing, Railay and Tonsai beach being the most developed. The scene and nightlife are amazing with great sport climbs and DWS. Currently the only DWS tours offered are by Wee's Climbing School on Tonsai Beach. He's a cool dude. If you end up going tell him Erik and Slo sent you and you might get the 'special treatment." The tours are cheap and definately worth it if you don't have unlimitted time and money to spend on a boat looking for quality rock on your own. He's knowledgable on the tides, water depth, and everything that you might not know if you've never been.

The DWS is great, but limitted when compared to Ha Long Bay.

Vietnam: Ha Long Bay is the place for DWS. There are over 2000 limestone cliffs that jut out of the water. Truly amazing. Ha Long is a bit cheaper than Railay for living costs. The main hurdle in Ha Long is finding DWSoloable cliffs, because there are so many. The Vietnamese will always say yes to a question you ask so you may well figure the captain knows exactly where to take you, when in fact he doesn't. All in all, the DWS is fantastic along with the beauty of the area and the bolted routes which are going up right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to call us if you ever make it out here. We'd be glad to hook you up with all the beta and make sure you get a captain who know what's up. We're amidst opening a bar and climber's village as well as a climbing shop and guiding service. If you do plan a trip, we can exchange emails and I will give you my Vietnam phone number, but I'd rather not do it over the forum. Look out for our websites coming soon: www.sloponyadventures.com or www.vietnamclimbing.com

Good luck,

Erik (Pony)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook