Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Comming to North Carolina
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

reunionron

Feb 26, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #1 of 18 (8694 views)
Shortcut

Comming to North Carolina  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I and my son are planning a trip to NC soon and we would like to know where would be a good place to climb. There are too many sites to sort through them all. Unfortunately we only have equipment to sport climb. We will be staying about a week and would really like to visit some good spots. The western part of NC would be best.

thundercleas

Feb 26, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #2 of 18 (8683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reunionron] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you considered bringing your rack? Most of the crags in western NC are primarily trad with a peppering of sport(y) routes. Assuming it's warm enough when you get here, the dump near boone is a decent one day sport crag. Also, there are enough sport lines at Rumbling bald to occupy for a day or so, mostly 5.10 and up. The bouldering there as well at grandmother in boone is also great.
I've never been, but I hear Crowders Mountain has some sport. Perhaps someone else can verify?
Where will you be staying?

reunionron

Feb 27, 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #3 of 18 (8653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thundercleas] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We will be coming up next week, will it be too cold to climb?

thundercleas

Feb 27, 2007, 7:17 AM
Post #4 of 18 (8625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boone might be a little chilly, but probably bearable. Rumbling bald will be great around then. As will pretty much everywhere else in the state. Assuming there isn't a cold snap of course.

clarki

Feb 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #5 of 18 (8612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are only going to clip bolts you're options are a bit limited in western NC. If you have time/are willing to drive to the Piedmont (read: Winston-Salem) there are two nice crags about an half hour north. Both of them are South facing and quite nice during the winter. If you must stay in the Western half of NC then some of the "sport" routes at Rumbling Bald are great and the bouldering is simply out of control!!!!
Pilot Mtn. has some good clip-ups in the 5.7 to 5.12 range and there are lots of good TR lines with two bolt anchors--more TR's than leads here though.

Sauratown is the place to go though. Sport and gear lines (some "sportier" than others!!) from 5.8 to 5.way harder than I will ever climb. It's a bit of a hike up to the cliff but the climbing and views are very worth it. Access to this crag is a little sensitive so play nice and keep a low profile--you access it by parking in a YMCA camp.

If you want some directions or route info, PM me and I'd be glad to help out. Might even be convinced to get off my fat-ass and climb some too!!!!!!

John

Partner j_ung

Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 PM
Post #6 of 18 (8594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clarki] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the weather's warm enough, Morphin Endorphin near Boone would also be a good option. I'll echo what was said above, however. If you're coming to NC specifically to sport climb, the best places to go are actually Tennessee and WV. Wink

chill41

Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 PM
Post #7 of 18 (8591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clarki] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sauratown is the place to go though. Sport and gear lines (some "sportier" than others!!) from 5.8 to 5.way harder than I will ever climb. It's a bit of a hike up to the cliff but the climbing and views are very worth it.

I second that. If you want to climb somewhere with several sport lines in NC in winter then Sauratown is the only place to go. I could also give you directions/route info if you PM me.

The sport lines at Rumbling Bald are few and far between, as are the bolts on many of those "sport" lines.

I've climbed at Stone Mountain before with nothing but a rack of draws (and probably no more than 4-5 at that), but I would make that your last resort Smile.

chill

rsmillbern

Feb 27, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #8 of 18 (8574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chill41] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, but if you are thinking "sport climbing" and go to Stone you just may wet yourself, unless, of course, you don't mind 30+ feet.

Sauratown is nice, but I would not bother unless you are comfortable leading 5.10. Pilot offers 'Some' Sport, and a lot of toprope.

rock_fencer

Feb 27, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #9 of 18 (8568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a number of pretty well bolted lines at the bald their are also a good number of mixed bolt/trad gear routes.

Crowders near charlotte also has a good number of sport lines from 5.6-5.12/13. Can be hard to find some of the lines from the top. Bring some long slings for crowders.

Cheers
T

thorne
Deleted

Feb 27, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8557 views)
Shortcut

Re: Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What difficulty are you looking for?

Where are you staying/visiting?

How far will you drive?

Are you interested in overnight trips or just day trips?

reunionron

Feb 28, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #11 of 18 (8525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thorne] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the good info. I live overseas and where I climb everything is bolted. I lead 5c, I think that equals 5.10. I will be coming from Florida, just to climb. I thought NC would be a good area. I was looking for an area where we could climb and hike that would not be too far from GA where my son goes to college.

(This post was edited by reunionron on Feb 28, 2007, 3:54 PM)

thorne
Deleted

Feb 28, 2007, 4:23 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Georgia, eh?

For hiking and backpacking, western NC kicks ass. However, there isn't any sport climbing in the mountains of North Carolina. Rumbling Bald has a nice (but limited) selection of sport routes, as does Crowder Mountain. If you're way down near Augusta, you might want to consider heading to either of these crags.

If Chattanooga is just as close, I'd recommend going to Tennessee for your climbing. I've never been to Foster Falls, but I hear good things about the place. It's about 45 minutes from Chattanooga.

Here's a link:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...astern/Foster_Falls/

rob729

Feb 28, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thundercleas] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crowders mountain does have sport
In reply to:

saxfiend

Feb 28, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thorne] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Thorne -- if you're coming from Florida and want to sport climb, head for Foster Falls instead of anywhere in North Carolina.

Another possibility is Sand Rock in Alabama; it would be a slightly shorter drive and there's good sport climbing there.

JL

Partner j_ung

Feb 28, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saxfiend wrote:
I agree with Thorne -- if you're coming from Florida and want to sport climb, head for Foster Falls instead of anywhere in North Carolina.

Another possibility is Sand Rock in Alabama; it would be a slightly shorter drive and there's good sport climbing there.

JL

Yah, closest to GA, those are your best options for sure.

reunionron

Mar 1, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #16 of 18 (8461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Comming to North Carolina [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the ideas. Foster Falls looks real good. I think I will go there. Smile

braaaaaaaadley

Mar 1, 2007, 1:57 AM
Post #17 of 18 (8453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is great climbing in NC. Most of it, however, is not sport related. If I were you I would hit up Ship Rock near Boone and Table Rock if you are set on making a trip to western part of the state. Ship has some bolted lines and some GREAT trad and TR lines. Table Rock (if the road going in is open) has great easier MP bolted lines (some gear might be required) that are ultra fun. Goodluck with your trip!

reunionron

Mar 12, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #18 of 18 (8375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone. We went to Foster Falls and it was great! I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to sport climb.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook