RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

poomasta

Mar 7, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Torrent Falls, RRG for sale?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So...I heard that Torrent Falls was closed to the public for climbing, but still open to guests at the lodge. I called yesterday to reserve a cabin in early May and the woman on the other end said they weren't taking reservations for that time period bcuz they were in negotiations to sell the place. Anyone know anything about this? And how soon should we start befriending the new owners in an effort to reopen the property to the public?

Also...I need another suggestion for a cabin. I know of Red River Outdoors and Natural Bridge Cabin Company, but any specific cabin suggestions would be much appreciated.

wes_allen

Mar 7, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some positive rumors going on with Torrent, nothing firm right now, but keep you fingers crossed!

Red river outdoors has some nice cabins, one really big one, and several smaller ones. You can walk down the hill for breakfast, and the drives to the crags are pretty short. http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

(This post was edited by wes_allen on Mar 7, 2007, 4:56 PM)

redpoint73

Mar 7, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

poomasta wrote:
And how soon should we start befriending the new owners in an effort to reopen the property to the public?

Better question: If the new owners allow climbing, what can the climbing community do to ensure that climbers are considerate to the landowners, and good relations (and therefore access ) are ensured?

chearlie

Mar 7, 2007, 5:57 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpoint73] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good questions, tricky answers. Know that there are already huge efforts underway to provide a mutually beneficial situation for both the new owners/guests of the cabins and climbers.

That said, it's still way too early to expect any changes.

dbrayack

Mar 7, 2007, 6:16 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a real shame, but I totally saw it coming....If I were them, I'd try and get the RRGCC to buy the property.

I was going down the list in the guide book: So you want to climb 5.12, well here's some the easiest in the gorge....you know, I've never even seen the anchors on Bare Metal Teen, one of the routes listed there.

dhaulagiri

Mar 7, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any idea what the land is worth? From the way Mark was talking in the fall it would seem that he wants to get a pretty good return on his "investment". It didn't seem like he was really interested in selling to climbers at a discount so to speak.

Is there a point at which that the land would be too expensive for the number of routes that are there (granted the routes there are pretty high quality)?

I too have yet to see the anchors of Bare Metal...

chearlie

Mar 7, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dhaulagiri] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Torrent is an amazing piece of property filled with some incredible routes. Of course, the price tag would probably be comparable to the entire Pendergrass-Murray Recreational Preserve, which the RRGCC is still paying off. Where Torrent is an amazing crag, the PMRP is 700 acres, has a couple dozen crags and is home to hundreds of routes.

That is (and IMO should be) the focus of our land acquisition efforts right now. Be that as it may, relationships with climber friendly landowners is something that will always deserve an enormous amount of focus from the rrgcc. It's definitely on the radar.

Charlie Rittenberry
RRGCC VP

(This post was edited by chearlie on Mar 7, 2007, 7:57 PM)

maldaly

Mar 7, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The value depends on whether or not the Via Ferrata cove and business comes with the deal. Don't know the answer to the climber behavior question. Here in Boulder, if we want to take our doggies on open space without a leash, we have to sit down and watch a 15 minute video on what it means to have voice and sight control over your mutt. After we watch it the doggie gets to wear a green tag that proves that we, as guardians, are responsible dog owners.

May Torrent Falls should instigate an "off leash" policy, complete with dog tags, for climbers? ;-)

Mal

dhaulagiri

Mar 7, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chearlie] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Charlie, that was the sort of point I was trying to bring up. While the climbing at Torrent is good, there can't be the attitude that simply because it is available the RRGCC needs to purchase it because there is climbing there.

Keep up the good work!

dhaulagiri

Mar 15, 2007, 1:12 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Says on redriverclimbing.com that torrent has been purchased but access will remain closed to the general public:

In reply to:
TORRENT FALLS PURCHASED!
Pending final approval of the loan and closing, Torrent Falls has been purchased by Bob Matheny (Dr. Bob) with the assistance of Matt and Amy Tackett. Mark Meyers and his family will continue to live at Torrent. Out of friendship with, and respect for, Mark and his family access will remain as it is. Details regarding long term access for climbing are being worked out and will be announced when available.

(This post was edited by dhaulagiri on Mar 16, 2007, 2:22 PM)

jkarns

Mar 16, 2007, 2:18 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Access is not closed! You can climb there, just stay at the lodge. I have, and it is a wonderful place.

poomasta

Mar 16, 2007, 2:29 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkarns] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you know if they are still renting out rooms under the new ownership? I called a couple weeks ago to book, and they wouldn't take my reservation for early May.

dhaulagiri

Mar 16, 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkarns] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How much was it to stay there per night?

jonqdoe

Mar 16, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dbrayack wrote:
I was going down the list in the guide book: So you want to climb 5.12, well here's some the easiest in the gorge....you know, I've never even seen the anchors on Bare Metal Teen, one of the routes listed there.

Isn't that the .12 where the route description says something like "calling this route 12a is one of the cruelest jokes in the red"? I never understood how it got on that list. Not that I can climb anything on that list, that one just has a reputation...

dhaulagiri

Mar 16, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonqdoe] Torrent Falls, RRG for sale? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jonqdoe wrote:
dbrayack wrote:

Isn't that the .12 where the route description says something like "calling this route 12a is one of the cruelest jokes in the red"? I never understood how it got on that list. Not that I can climb anything on that list, that one just has a reputation...

that is the one...know several people that have it ruthlessly wired that run laps on it...mostly just a good test of your true RRG endurance.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook