RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

krosbakken

Mar 18, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 4 (387 views)
Shortcut

Falcon Guide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can't find a Falcon Guide book on South Dakota. Is there one? If not is there a book on the Black Hills? Could i get some book titles? Thanks

Partner drrock

Mar 18, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 4 (359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] Falcon Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a slim Falcon guide to the Needles/Black Hills/Tower. Even though I have it, I've never used it. Depending on where you go, there are more comprehensive guides to each area. Spearfish guide (I forget who), Rushmore guide (Vernon Phinney), Needles (Paul Piana-- these are out of print and running $300+ online right now), etc. There are also some brand new guides to the Needles and the Tower. The photos in these are really good, but I have no experience with the quality of the information.

Anyway, the specific guide you asked about is called Classic Rock Climbs No. 7 (Falcon Guide) and is written by John Harlin III. Like I said, it's slim and not too much information is in there. It would be okay for a short trip, I suppose.

Partner drrock

Mar 18, 2007, 9:57 PM
Post #3 of 4 (350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just looked at this Falcon guide, probably for the first time ever. The information provided for the approaches and descents is minimal to none. If it is even still in print, I would save your money. Both the new guides (Needles and the Tower) are by someone named Zach Orenczak. They have them on Chesslerbooks.com. IMHO opinion the Rushmore guide you want is by Vernon Phinney (look on Amazon, might be expensive, I think it's out of print). Which area(s) are you planning on going to?

Partner xtrmecat

Mar 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #4 of 4 (275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just picked up Black Hills Needles(a poor person's guide) by Dingus McGee at Granite Gear in Hill City S.D. last spring. Small, but has enough climbs to keep a person quit busy. She also has another poorperson's guide in the store that I did not get, that covered the rest of the Black Hills. The Mt. Rushmore National Memorial Climbers Guide by Vernon R. Phinney has a lot of popular stuff in the Rushmore area but I found the routes kind of hard to locate sometimes, although there are a ton of moderate classics there. I also have two other guides that are more tower specific if you would like.
Enjoy the area, as I have found the more I go there, the more I have found there is to discover. Very bold style out in the hills.
Bob

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook