Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Mar 22, 2007, 7:23 AM
Post #1 of 33 (7897 views)
Shortcut

paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit,
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

published Date: 20 March 2007

A CLIMBER is suing the operators of a Portsdown Hill activity centre after he suffered 'catastrophic' spinal injuries in a fall.

The High Court in London was told yesterday that Gary Poppleton and a group of friends were at Fort Purbrook, near Crookhorn, 'bouldering' – low-level free climbing without ropes – when he suffered spinal cord injuries that paralysed him from the neck down and confined him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Mr Poppleton, 30, alleges the centre operators negligently failed to assess his climbing competence or warn of the dangers involved or provide
proper supervision.

The trustees of the Portsmouth Youth Activities Commission, a charity that operates the .............................

http://www.portsmouthtoday.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?sectionid=455&articleid=2133152

bent_gate

Mar 22, 2007, 9:44 AM
Post #2 of 33 (7852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How can this happen in the land of:

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
---Dick, Shakespeare's Henry VI

Frown

overlord

Mar 22, 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #3 of 33 (7810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i guess i WAS lucky.

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 33 (7782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really burns me when someone sues over their incompetence. Anyone who even knows about climbing knows that there is a danger that goes along with the activity. It's as stupid as trying out for the boxing team and getting a concussion then suing the gym for letting them box.

STUPID I TELL YA!

Partner sevrdhed

Mar 22, 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #5 of 33 (7754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Based on the crappy writing in that news report, it sounds like he tried to dyno from one wall to the other. That would make sense as far as how paralyzation had happened. If he caught a hold, spun horizontal, then dropped, I could see it. That really sucks to be him though... I feel bad for the guy. Suing, however.... well, I'd have to hear a little more of the specific circumstances before judging that.

taydude

Mar 22, 2007, 1:06 PM
Post #6 of 33 (7730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sevrdhed] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't exactly sound like he was dynoing but who knows( the reporter certainly doesn't). Also in the article he says that customers can boulder 4m off the ground w/o a rope. This doesn't concern me much 4m isnt very high if you have adaquate padding. It does concern me that this "activity center" seems to not give any kind of instruction before they let people climb. Too bad they have almost no info on their site. Unsure

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #7 of 33 (7687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sevrdhed] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will say that I did not read the news report before responding to this thread. My response is the reaction I get every time I hear the word sue ... turns my stomach. I agree that there is a correct time to sue, but not because you did something wrong and got hurt. Ignorance is not an excuse in the court of law. As with any sport, there are dangers ... you accept them when you participate in that sport.

As for the climber, if this sounds cold, it is not because of the injury, rather, it is because of that persons decision to sue. Yes, that really sucks for him and I do feel bad for the dude, but that's not what this thread is about.

kman

Mar 22, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #8 of 33 (7666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fucking ridiculous. When are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions? It's always some one elses fault right.

majid_sabet

Mar 22, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #9 of 33 (7561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
i guess i WAS lucky.

I had one who did it not even make it on 3 feet fall so ,you are lucky

schveety

Mar 22, 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #10 of 33 (7513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree totally with kman - when are people going to start taking responsibility for their own actions..... You don't need to be instructed in climbing to realize that falling from any height could result in injury......... especially someone who's 30........

boredatwork

Mar 22, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #11 of 33 (7467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [schveety] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When are people in general, not just climbers, going to take responsibility for their own lives and situations. We live in such an entitlement mentality world where the criminals/downtrodden/undereductated are victims of their own situation.

pupjr

Mar 22, 2007, 5:36 PM
Post #12 of 33 (7459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To play Devil's Advocate, and to really troll around here. I'm going to say this: The guy is PARALYZED from the NECK down. He can't do anything on his own anymore. What you guys take for granted, is what this guy will NEVER be able to do. He can never know what it's like to feel the ground, or touch his loved ones.
He's suing to survive, imagine the cost of all medical bills, now until he finally dies and all the caregiving he needs. Rember, can't feed himself, can't dress himself, can't even wipe his own butt. It's going to be astronomical.
You guys bring up a big stink about it's his responsilbility, and how stupid he is, but did you once put yourself in his shoes? Would you honestly just shrug if you broke your neck, and say, "well that was my fault." I saw ONE person actually show some sort of sympathy for the guy. Way to go.
Now I'm not condoning suing everyone for every little thing. I think all the suing is stupid, and lots of people never think it was their own fault. Like spilling hot coffee on yourself.
As for the boxing analogy, it doesn't come close. Instead of the concussion replace it with becoming paralyzed from the neck down. Somehow, I think the guy wouldn't sue if he just got a concussion from bouldering.
That's my oppinion.

dynosore

Mar 22, 2007, 5:36 PM
Post #13 of 33 (7458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The worst injury I've ever had was when I fell, ok, jumped from about 10 feet when I was younger. 5 months on crutches. Amazingly, I didn't sue anyone for MY stupidity.

This is a good reminder that falling is ALWAYS dangerous. For every miracle where someone limps away from a 20 footer, I suspect their are many more injuries that occur from <10ft falls.

kman

Mar 22, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #14 of 33 (7431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pupjr] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The guy is PARALYZED from the NECK down

That does not mean it's not his fault. IT IS HIS FAULT HE IS PARALYZED, it's that simple. Yeah it would suck to have this happen but hey, the world is not a safe place to live in and this type of shit happens on a regular basis, along with many many many worse things through out the world we live in. Accept it.

pupjr

Mar 22, 2007, 5:57 PM
Post #15 of 33 (7420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kman] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While you're pointing that finger around, turn it around and point it at yourself, what would you honestly do? I bet you wouldn't blame anyone else, cause you're better than that. Right?

kman

Mar 22, 2007, 6:07 PM
Post #16 of 33 (7392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pupjr wrote:
While you're pointing that finger around, turn it around and point it at yourself, what would you honestly do? I bet you wouldn't blame anyone else, cause you're better than that. Right?

riiiightt. I'm not "pointing that finger around", it's actually quite simple really. No point wasting time trying to convince you otherwise.

crimpandgo

Mar 22, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #17 of 33 (7362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pupjr wrote:

It doesn't matter who you point the finger at. The facility probably should have a no fault clause which means you climb at your own risk. Unless you can prove negligance of some sort which would be difficult with a person bouldering 5 feet off the ground, the gym should not be held accountable.

This is a freak accident that could happen anywhere. You gotta ask yourself. If you took a 5 footer at home while playing/working on a wall. would you sue the person that built the wall? or the person that put in the landscaping? No, you would say, how stupid could I be for putting myself in such a position. So, why is it when an accident happens in a public establishment, it automatically turns into a lawsuit?

I am not saying its wrong, It just bugs me when the rules change given the situation.

winglessangel

Mar 22, 2007, 6:47 PM
Post #18 of 33 (7310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there everyone,

I feel sorry for him. It is a terrible thing. Hope He can overcome his dificulties and things get better for him. It is sad to see things like that.

About the law suit. I understand what you are sayng, more and more people are overcrowding the justice sytem with stupid cases, like the coffee case that I heard it is a true story and the lady won.

But when it comes to sports and providers of sport services like a gym it is harder to separate was is a natural sport consequence and what is a negligence from the people involved.

compare 2 true stories:

sit #1: 3 years ago I was at the gym and landed wrongly after jumping out of a boulder problem. I sprained my foot (badly). I believed it was MY fault. But someone could say "Noooo, the gym should ALWAYS provide a instructor to spott you ALL THE TIME". Well, MY comon sense says that there is a diference between a structor and a freaking baby sitter. I needed cast, I had medical bills, but I did nothing.

sit #2: 6 weeks ago, diferent story. The gym also has many climbing workshops and outdoor classes. I decided to take an intermediate climbing course. Aid, trad, big wall, etc.
So, ascender class. first let's try it indoor. Rope is set up, I ascend it, the guy lowers me. We do it, once, twice, many times. Then he goes inside to grab a book and asks to another instructor "lower her, plz" The other guys DROPS ME. 4 back bones broken!! 3 months of recovery, one month delayed on my master degree work that was about to be defended. 10 days in hospital, medical bills...

Now what common sense would say??

We don't know for sure what happened. It LOOKS like a bad case of sittuation number 1, that I was lucky, that overlord was lucy, and so many others were lucky. but are we sure? were we there?
truth is, situations can be very diferent and look very similar. We all have diferent views of things and sometimes it needs to by ower own skin and blood for us to feel.

And other thing. Now we know that bouldering can be more dangerous then we think and choose your partner/"loweres" more carefully.

cheers,
Flavia

easton

Mar 22, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #19 of 33 (7285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
It does concern me that this "activity center" seems to not give any kind of instruction before they let people climb. Unsure

I see your point, but at what point is it about the participants common sense? Every animal on the planet instinctively knows that falling can cause injury. If this tard fell over standing in line anywhere should he be able to sue based on no one telling him to remain prone at all times? Does anyone really need training to understand you fall, you hit something, it may hurt?

Only if the gym had big pointy bits sticking out of the floor, no padding, AND employees calling you a pussy if you don't climb hard enough should this be an issue.

Can I sue Mother Nature for not putting up waivers, disclaimers and warning signs on every piece of rock over 6" tall?

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #20 of 33 (7272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpandgo] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with crimp.. he must have signed a waiver stating that he understood the risks of climbing.. which always include injury or death..

It says he was with 2 other experienced climbers.. there ya go.. he was supervised by his friends.. they didnt warn him that a dyno from one wall to another would be a dangerous thing. It should not be the responsibility of the staff to baby sit your 30 yr old ass.. His mom didnt sign a waiver for him. he did it himself. How are they supposed to test his competence??

thomasribiere

Mar 22, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #21 of 33 (7215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kinf of lawsuit is it? In France, after such a thib, it's possible that the insurance of the paralyzed person would either sue the insurance of the gym owner ot at least try to find a financial agreement.

fearlessclimber

Mar 22, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #22 of 33 (7189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jammer wrote:
It really burns me when someone sues over their incompetence. Anyone who even knows about climbing knows that there is a danger that goes along with the activity. It's as stupid as trying out for the boxing team and getting a concussion then suing the gym for letting them box.

STUPID I TELL YA!

Well said, it was their own incompetence

dlintz

Mar 22, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #23 of 33 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winglessangel] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, the McDonald's coffee lawsuit.

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

Here's an interesting page regarding that, esp. #2 and #4.

...back to your regularly scheduled pissing match.

d.

Partner cracklover

Mar 22, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #24 of 33 (7156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent point. Insurance changes things.

A few years ago my gf at the time got run over by a car while bicycling. Luckily, all she suffered was a broken foot. She had insurance, so she shrugged it off, assuming the insurance would cover the medical expenses. Well she was wrong.

The insurance company said: we want to sue on your behalf. We feel that the insurance for the driver should help pay your medical expenses. Had she not agreed to go forward with the suit, they would have capped her expenses, and a significant amount of the medical bills would have come out-of-pocket.

What would you have done? Sucked it up? Taken out another three credit cards and racked up the debt? Tried to get a second job to pay the bills? Or let the insurance companies play their game? She went with the latter.

Can you imagine how much harder the insurance company is pushing in this case? Think about the astronomical costs involved in this guy being taken care of for the rest of his life. He really may have no choice. You can't "take responsibility for yoursef" when you can't even wipe your own ass.

GO

crimpandgo

Mar 22, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #25 of 33 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] paralysed on 5 feet fall bouldering lawsuit, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Excellent point. Insurance changes things.

A few years ago my gf at the time got run over by a car while bicycling. Luckily, all she suffered was a broken foot. She had insurance, so she shrugged it off, assuming the insurance would cover the medical expenses. Well she was wrong.

The insurance company said: we want to sue on your behalf. We feel that the insurance for the driver should help pay your medical expenses. Had she not agreed to go forward with the suit, they would have capped her expenses, and a significant amount of the medical bills would have come out-of-pocket.

What would you have done? Sucked it up? Taken out another three credit cards and racked up the debt? Tried to get a second job to pay the bills? Or let the insurance companies play their game? She went with the latter.

Can you imagine how much harder the insurance company is pushing in this case? Think about the astronomical costs involved in this guy being taken care of for the rest of his life. He really may have no choice. You can't "take responsibility for yoursef" when you can't even wipe your own ass.

GO

I dont think your example is the same situation. I dont blame the insurance company. the accident was caused by the driver. the driver should be held accountable.

In the gym case, the accident was caused by the climber....... now if a hold broke off, or the padding was missing on the floor... now you got something to go on.....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook