Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Do you think female climbers are as good as males?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Do you think female climbers are as good as males?
Yes 88 / 65%
No 48 / 35%
136 total votes

jt512

Mar 23, 2007, 6:23 AM
Post #101 of 167 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nika wrote:
Now, a good question might be why are there not as many female FAers at a really high level?

Because putting up new routes at that level requires competency with power tools. Duh.

Jay

jt512

Mar 23, 2007, 6:39 AM
Post #102 of 167 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Let's take that as our theory, and see if that matches the real world. Well, naturally, people will fall within a bell curve of ability. Most people will be in the middle, while there will be a few outliers on either side. The more the participants, the larger the bell curve.

Since perhaps twice the number of men as women climb, it might look something like this:

Please note that on the far right side, where the number of climbers in each set drop to zero, the male curve extends further right (higher max climbing difficulty) than does the female, though both are similar.

True. However, the male curve also extends further to the left than the female curve. Thus, your theory implies that men will be both the best and the worst climbers, and therefore women will be the most mediocre.

I hope you're not looking for a climbing girlfriend.

Jay

crispin

Mar 23, 2007, 8:11 AM
Post #103 of 167 (1307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suzie_cuzie] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anybody that tells you women aren't as good at climbing as men are talking utter crap. ok most of the top climbers are male at the moment but that is changing all the time. if you take the more normal mortals amongst us there is no divide what ever advantage there is between men / women is equalled out, ok guys have more muscles but alot of the the women i climb with have a far better strength to weight ratio than i do. i think it is far more to do with the individuals mind set and commitment to their sport and how hard they want to push, besides you dont get the hole ego, matcho bollocks with girls much easier to climb with oh and they smell better after a few days climbing in a small tent.
cris

nilregrets

Mar 23, 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #104 of 167 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crispin] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear left handed, and blue eyed people are better climbers as well Cool

blueeyedclimber

Mar 23, 2007, 1:02 PM
Post #105 of 167 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilregrets wrote:
and blue eyed people are better climbers as well Cool

That is ENTIRELY correct!Smile

Josh

Gmburns2000

Mar 23, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #106 of 167 (1271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Maybe one of the choices should be whether or not women have superior reading skills to men?

Curt

No way. I can outread ANY woman. Put me in front of a series of good books on Friday and by Sunday night...oh, wait a minute. Sorry. Wrong reading. Nevermind.Tongue

Gmburns2000

Mar 23, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #107 of 167 (1268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilregrets] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nilregrets wrote:
I hear left handed, and blue eyed people are better climbers as well Cool

No, just blue-eyed climbers. Ambidexterous climbers can climb with both hands!

yanqui

Mar 23, 2007, 3:04 PM
Post #108 of 167 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
rgold wrote:
In reply to:
Can someone please explain to me how you could answer "yes" to the poll? How many women have climbed 14d? One. Men? a dozen?

...which illustrates that woman are as good as men. The fact that there may be more men climbing at elite levels is another matter, with possibly quite different explanations unrelated to ability or potential.

You obviously didn't get my point. To make it more obvious, apply the same rationale to 15a. No women climb 15a while some men do. Thus men are better than women climbers.

Yeah, I didn't get your point either. But I clearly understood what rgold was getting at.

So first you say there are more men who sport climb 14d than women. However women (at least Josune) CAN sport climb 14d (and possibly 15a), so maybe the reason there aren't more women climbing at this level has nothing to do with any PHYSICAL limitations. Duh.

Then you come back with 15a stuff, like a letter grade harder is some huge difference, and like I guess you've confirmed that Bimbaluna is only 14d and not 15a.

Here, let me illustrate how stupid your arguments are. The Basque country has about 3 million inhabitants. And yet there are about a dozen sport climbers there who climb 14d and several who have climbed 15a. One climber has even flashed 14b. Plus there's like 5 climbers who have summited all the 8,000 meter peaks. So by comparison, America, having 300 million inhabitants, should have 1,200 people who climb 14d, several hundred who climb 15a and 500 who have summitted all the 8,000 meter peaks (Ed Viesturs is all alone here). As far as I know, no American has ever flashed 14b. So by your idiotic reasoning, we would have to conclude that Americans are just genetically inferior and phyisically limited compared to the Basque. They lack ability and potential. Because of these limitations Americans will never reach the levels of Basque climbers.

See how stupid that kind of reasoning is?

deschamps1000

Mar 23, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #109 of 167 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wan-qui, you seem to have forgetten the orginal question. It is "Do you think female climbers are as good as males" not "Do you think female climbers could be as good as males if more of them climbed".

yanqui

Mar 23, 2007, 3:26 PM
Post #110 of 167 (1242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
wan-qui, you seem to have forgetten the orginal question. It is "Do you think female climbers are as good as males" not "Do you think female climbers could be as good as males if more of them climbed".

Dickchamps: the question, as you stated. is totally ambiguous. There is no mention of any comparison of numbers in the phrase "Do you think female climbers are as good as males". Josune, having sport climbed 14d and possibly 15a sports climbs about as hard as any man. Lynn Hill, having put up the Nose, trad climbed at a level which wasn't repeated for more than a decade. On the other hand, women don't boulder as hard as men do.

So the answer is YES, except maybe at bouldering. Duh.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Mar 23, 2007, 3:29 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 23, 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #111 of 167 (1233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Let's take that as our theory, and see if that matches the real world. Well, naturally, people will fall within a bell curve of ability. Most people will be in the middle, while there will be a few outliers on either side. The more the participants, the larger the bell curve.

Since perhaps twice the number of men as women climb, it might look something like this:
[IMG]http://i12.tinypic.com/4c12mxk.gif[/IMG]

Please note that on the far right side, where the number of climbers in each set drop to zero, the male curve extends further right (higher max climbing difficulty) than does the female, though both are similar.

True. However, the male curve also extends further to the left than the female curve. Thus, your theory implies that men will be both the best and the worst climbers, and therefore women will be the most mediocre.

I hope you're not looking for a climbing girlfriend.

Jay

Hahaha! Actually, she beat you to it! At the climbing gym last night, she pointed out that flaw in my graph. Both men and women must start at the same point on the left hand side. We agreed that a more accurate representation of the graph might be one in which the left quarter of the graph was cut off.

She then proceeded to outclimb me all night, including nailing her hardest onsight to date.

Life is good!

GCool

randomjive

Mar 23, 2007, 3:42 PM
Post #112 of 167 (1230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suzie_cuzie] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been climbing for about a year now, and I started and am frequently climbing in a gym, and I learned a lot from the ladies. I feel that it would be easier for men to get into the sport, but the girls I know who have been climbing for a while are pretty effin great at it. AND they're real easy on the eyes when you're resting... So I say let's hear it for the ladies

calfcramp

Mar 23, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #113 of 167 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is absolutely true.

Partner cracklover

Mar 23, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #114 of 167 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
While GO's fancy chart looks nice, it is based on the assumption that the median climbing ability of women and men is equal.

My experience has shown otherwise. I believe that if you poll all male climbers and all female climbers, men will have a higher medial climbing ability. Think about the range in which most women and men climb at your local gym.

This would thus shift the men's bell curve to the right, making men better climbers.

I did just that. Last night, I randomly polled 22 women and 21 men at my local gym. The question I asked each was as follows: "What is the hardest route you think you could climb tonight, without falling, or taking on the rope." The answers ranged from 5.12a/b down to 5.7.

And the average?
M: 5.10c
W: 5.10a

As to whether there might be a bias towards men who'd climbed longer, I did not attempt to quantify. I asked a lot of noobs and a lot of experienced folks, in both genders. Interestingly, almost always, when women and men were climbing in pairs, the women responded with a lower or equal number than her male partner.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 23, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #115 of 167 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Can anyone guess that my little girl - Nika - is going to be a lawyer? Year one at Harvard LS. Did anyone actually read her whole diatribe to the end? Whatever you do - don't argue with her - just stick her on something burly and that will shut her up...

Hmm, that's not very nice. Course you're her dad, it's your job to tease.

But honestly, she made a very valid point.

I haven't done more than a handful or two of FAs, but as you know, I set at the gym, and have been setting for about four years. One thing I quickly realized is that one sets to one's own strengths. I had to shift up the difficulty ratings on my climbs, because other climbers who were capable of doing stuff at that level could not get up them.

If you think Nika's mistaken, just try getting on one of Tanya's routes some time!

GO

olderic

Mar 23, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #116 of 167 (1213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
olderic wrote:
Can anyone guess that my little girl - Nika - is going to be a lawyer? Year one at Harvard LS. Did anyone actually read her whole diatribe to the end? Whatever you do - don't argue with her - just stick her on something burly and that will shut her up...

Hmm, that's not very nice. Course you're her dad, it's your job to tease.

But honestly, she made a very valid point.

I haven't done more than a handful or two of FAs, but as you know, I set at the gym, and have been setting for about four years. One thing I quickly realized is that one sets to one's own strengths. I had to shift up the difficulty ratings on my climbs, because other climbers who were capable of doing stuff at that level could not get up them.

If you think Nika's mistaken, just try getting on one of Tanya's routes some time!

GO

On no I am not saying that Nika is mistaken. Although the basis of her argument is that there are "girl" climbs and "boy" climbs that are rated using a common system (YDS in our case) even though they require very different types of abilities, and that the top females can do as well as the top males on climbs that sterotypically suit women.

I was just poking fun at her longwinded examples with the numbers and letters and so foth - so typical of Nika.

The problem I am having now is that she is even out doing me on boy climbs - grrrr.

Tanya's routes seem to be exercises in setting anti-tall person routes. Not "boy" or "girl" but "midget" climbs. And she (Tanya) does a good job at it. Imterestingly Nika, who is fairly tall and lanky, does not do particulairy well on Tanya's routes (I expect that will generate a squack from Nika if she sees ths).

You know what would be intereesting would be to see how males would do in an athletic sport that is traditionally a female one - unevan bars for example.

Partner cracklover

Mar 23, 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #117 of 167 (1212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clausti, I don't disagree with your experience, however it is not universal. I have as much if not more experience with noobs as do you (among other things, I taught noobs to climb for several years at a YMCA). My experience differed in several ways from yours.

I found that men often got up a harder climb their first night, than women. Women may have picked up technique very slightly faster than men, but not enough to allow them to catch up within a short time (with exceptions, of course). Also, both men and women equally had issues with how they were perceived on the rock (plastic?). Neither wanted to look bad. To avoid the perception of failure, they both used a variety of tactics. The most common tactic, used equally by men and women, was "I can't". By not trying, they take control, and don't have to worry about being perceived as trying hard and then looking foolish when they failed. When they did try a little harder but still had trouble, women tended sometimes to pull back a bit - climbing more conservatively, so when they failed, at least they failed in control, while men tended more towards veering into the goofy right before failure. Plenty of examples where men took the conservative route, and women the goofy, I'm just talking about trends. All of these behaviours lessened, in both genders as the climbers got more into the climbs, and would push to true failure.

But on the whole, all seem to hit a plateau at 5.8, another at about 5.9, and a longer one at 5.10. But this often takes a long time - longer than I instructed them, so I don't have enough experience to speak to the issue of how long each of these plateaus lasts for men and women.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Mar 23, 2007, 4:32 PM)

sidepull

Mar 23, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #118 of 167 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
On the other hand, women don't boulder as hard as men do.

So the answer is YES, except maybe at bouldering. Duh.

The problem is that the "except" here completely undermines the "YES" because modern routes are heavily influenced by the popularity of and skills developed from bouldering. Again, this reinforces Lisa Rands comments that it will be harder for women to boulder at the same grades as men because, on average they are shorter and have shorter wingspans. As bouldering continues to influence route climbing (particularly sport but it's also creeping into new burly trad routes) this discrepancy will grow.

clausti

Mar 23, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #119 of 167 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
But on the whole, all seem to hit a plateau at 5.8, another at about 5.9, and a longer one at 5.10. But this often takes a long time - longer than I instructed them, so I don't have enough experience to speak to the issue of how long each of these plateaus lasts for men and women.

GO

out of curiosity, what was the age range for the ymca ppl? as i mentioned in my post, (the non-bold being experiances and the bold being a logical statement, following the rules of statistics), my rambling dealt with children and adolescents. I have had very limited experiance with *adults* learning to climb for the first time and so, please pardon the arrogance, I haven't much experiance with the 5.8 or 5.9 plataue. In my observations, most ppl who stayed more than a couple of sessions progressed quickly to toproping mid 5.10, and stayed there for a while. The guys got there more quickly than the girls, sometimes in the first session, but stayed there for a long time, some of them never getting the control of their feet to progress. in contrast the girls that got there did so more slowly, some over the course of weeks, but when they were there, the actual platuae (sp???) lasted a shorter amount of time, because they had been forced to aquire skills to compensate for strength already.

sidepull

Mar 23, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #120 of 167 (1190 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Clausti, I don't disagree with your experience, however it is not universal. I have as much if not more experience with noobs as do you (among other things, I taught noobs to climb for several years at a YMCA). My experience differed in several ways from yours.

I found that men often got up a harder climb their first night, than women. Women may have picked up technique very slightly faster than men, but not enough to allow them to catch up within a short time (with exceptions, of course). Also, both men and women equally had issues with how they were perceived on the rock (plastic?). Neither wanted to look bad. To avoid the perception of failure, they both used a variety of tactics. The most common tactic, used equally by men and women, was "I can't". By not trying, they take control, and don't have to worry about being perceived as trying hard and then looking foolish when they failed. When they did try a little harder but still had trouble, women tended sometimes to pull back a bit - climbing more conservatively, so when they failed, at least they failed in control, while men tended more towards veering into the goofy right before failure. Plenty of examples where men took the conservative route, and women the goofy, I'm just talking about trends. All of these behaviours lessened, in both genders as the climbers got more into the climbs, and would push to true failure.

GO

Both crack and clausti bring up great points and the contrast is interesting. I think one important variable that clausti dismissed was age. I think young boys and girls are pretty similar in terms of willingness to learn, potential fearlessness, and body development. Young children are pretty androgenous from a kinesthetic standpoint and they are a bit more naive regarding social norms so when they get on the rock they behave in a less gendered way. So, my experience has been that both have pretty similar improvement curves. This changes at puberty, both biologically and sociologically.

Also, the idea of plateaus and who is able to break through plateaus more readily is also interesting. While there are some compelling arguments for why women might excel at learning climbing skills I think clausti correctly points out that duration of climbing experience will most likely end up being different for men and women. However, she fails to note that in the harder grades women will be forced to spend more time developing strength and I'd argue that the development curve for women overcoming that plateau is steeper for women.

clausti

Mar 23, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #121 of 167 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Do you think female climbers are as good as males? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:

Both crack and clausti bring up great points and the contrast is interesting. I think one important variable that clausti dismissed was age. ...

Also, the idea of plateaus and who is able to break through plateaus more readily is also interesting. While there are some compelling arguments for why women might excel at learning climbing skills I think clausti correctly points out that duration of climbing experience will most likely end up being different for men and women. However, she fails to note that in the harder grades women will be forced to spend more time developing strength and I'd argue that the development curve for women overcoming that plateau is steeper for women.

i didnt dismiss age as a variable. i made it a given that i was dealing with "children and adolescents."

also, i think you are correct about the plataue at harder grades. the *first* plat. is shorter for women, but the .11d/.12a plat is often longer.

shorty

Mar 23, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #122 of 167 (1185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
nika wrote:
Now, a good question might be why are there not as many female FAers at a really high level?

Because putting up new routes at that level requires competency with power tools. Duh.

OK, but I think we must consider that these are battery powered tools. I know a few gals who have a boat load of experience with battery powered .....tools.

Gmburns2000

Mar 23, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #123 of 167 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

GO

I couldn't agree more with this point. I climb with a couple of people who are taller than me, so I actually had to decrease my grades after the initial settings. Now I tend to set shorter moves with crimps that play to thier disadvantage (height) and my advantage (ego).

But your point, I think, is this (which may be contrary to your original graph, as intriguiging as it was); that ability can almost be defined as style (crimps vs slopers, bridging vs straight up, feet vs core, etc). Blueeyedclimber had a GREAT 11a set at the gym that was really suited to my style, but these guys who were taller than me really struggled on it. Then there was this 11b/c sloper route to the right of it for a while that I couldn't get traction on, yet these guys were able to snag every hold from lower positions.

So I really think style plays an important role in this. If you want to talk about the best climbers in general, I bet they're the ones who are most balanced in terms of the various techniques that can be used. This may make the whole question of guys vs. girls impossible to answer. Climbing isn't like the 100m dash. Guys at the elite level are faster. There's no way around that. Those parameters have been standardised and set for a very long time now. But climbing isn't a single track with a *bang* start and a finish line. Maybe there's a super-slick bridge route out there that requires 180 degree stem moves to get up. I'm flexible, but not that flexible.

Oh yeah, the only way to make comparisons is at the elite level. To make comparisons below that level brings in too many factors such as: jobs, training, diet, lifestyle, time spent searching for new naughty websites, etc.. We would never compare a MLB baseball player with with some guy playing in the inter-city leagues. It's just not the same thing. You need apples to apples and you can't get that below the elite level. f someone is climbing a harder grade, they are climbing harder - period.

highangle

Mar 23, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #124 of 167 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An interesting statistical analysis would be to examine the success/fail ratio betwen men & women at the higher levels.

How many women have attempted a 15a, how many attempts at 100% failure vs. men at some unknown % of success?

Since the very highest level would be a limited number of climbs (say anything of 14+), the success ratio would be a reasonable way to determine who is "better."

It is irrelevant to say that men are better because "x men have climbed x grade" and are thus better than women, if no women have actually attempted that grade. Better should not = greater willingness to take risk.

shadowgnu

Mar 23, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #125 of 167 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Well [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem here is really.... why are women so worried about climbing? Last I recalled, the kitchen didn't have any necessary holds besides the stove, refridgerator, and the microwave that were too challenging. I guess going to the store might be hard too... they have to put on shoes.

Hey honey I got a V8 today... from walmart.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook