RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

bako_prc

Mar 26, 2007, 7:00 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1130 views)
Shortcut

2nd with ropeman
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was just wondering what the general thought was on using a wc ropeman for a 2nd on a partyof three?

cintune

Mar 26, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bako_prc] 2nd with ropeman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably all depends on how much they weigh and how likely they are to fall. Those things are great, but they can bite right through the rope with enough force.

timm

Mar 26, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you talking about the 2nd using the ropeman as an ascender to jug a fixed line or using the ropeman as a self belay device so that they can free climb the pitch??

Not really sure why you would want to do the latter but in either case there are better devices that can be used.

bako_prc

Mar 26, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timm] 2nd with ropeman [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my thought was that i would lead, and fix the line for the 2nd to come up. the ropeman is the assender i own, but i am always up for suggestions for buying new gear.

winkwinklambonini

Mar 26, 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a good idea for when your not rappin'. But as far as the device, look through all the solo top roping/self belay tr...etc. threads. Petzl basic is a good bet, and .......wait a minute, upon reflection: it's recommended that knots be tied beneath you as you go, so that wouldn't work since they would get caught in pro as the third came up. This means you have to have a quite redundant system, which in my view tips the balance towards doubles. Oh, well.

mtselman

Mar 27, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #6 of 6 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bako_prc wrote:
my thought was that i would lead, and fix the line for the 2nd to come up. the ropeman is the assender i own, but i am always up for suggestions for buying new gear.
Bad idea, unless you are on a low-angle terrain. Even then you do not want a person to ascend a rope if his only connection to it is via an ascender (ropeman in this case).
A few points:
1. On a steep terrain you need two ascenders to move up efficiently or at least ascender and a prusic.
2. When one is ascending a rope, it is under constant tension and as such is under larger risk of being cut by a falliing rock or a constant abrasion over a shrap edge.
3. The person ascending should not climb "above" his ascender, thus creating a slack in the system, as even a minor slip in this case will result in a sudden load on the device and may either break the device or damage the rope.
4. Most of the ascenders have to be backed up and should not be your (or your 2nds) only connection to the rope.

If you are in a party of 3 then:
a) if you have double ropes then bring up both 2nds at the same time (see related discussion in a nearby thread),
b ) if you have two single ropes you can either bring two seconds as above or fix one of the lines for the third to jug (for example with a large pack), while you bring the second so that he can start belaying you on the next pitch. But you'll need proper ascenders for the 3rd, not a single ropeman.

--Misha

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook