Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jakk

Mar 24, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #26 of 30 (320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheDullEnd] Pack for 20+ days out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I took a Cilogear 40 L WorkSack (V1) on an 8-day trip in the Canadian Rockies last summer. No resupplies, large parts off-trail, with temperatures below freezing every night. Had to start with the pack's extension all the way out, as food and warm gear took up space, but the pack carried like a charm and held up perfectly. For a 20-day trip with resupply 60 L should be more then ample.

Another recommendation: get a TarpTent shelter!

http://www.tarptent.com

I used a Squall 2 and was very happy with it, offered no protection against cold but it kept rain and snow out and is very, very light, in my mind the ideal compromise between tarp and tent.

Jakk

miademus

Mar 26, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #27 of 30 (297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....do you guys over there got: "The NorthFace" "Jack Wolfskin" or any of these?

shimanilami

Mar 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #28 of 30 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dana Design is my personal favorite. My Astralplane has served me for months at a time, from 24,000' down to the Amazon basin. Pricey, but it will last a lifetime.

If you've got a "few guys", you shouldn't have to strip down too far. You can share the weight of two pots, a good camera, a decent sized tarp, etc.

I'd agree that you'll need minimal clothing, soap, etc., but having some personal niceties can make your trip much more enjoyable. IPOD. A good book. Sandals (Crocs are really light). Good weed. Good coffee. Etc. You've got 2-3 weeks, so don't torture yourself trying to go too fast and light. You don't need to .

daniellebo

Mar 28, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #29 of 30 (261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey casey,
this is Daniel from the ARC (and OA). I have a bora 80 i would consider selling you (or if you want to just check it out, you are welcome to try it on) also i have a Cilogear WS 60liter which you can check out but I wouldnt sell that (its incredible and has basically replaced my need for the Arcteryx Bora 80)
Call me if you are interested,
707-328-2782
Daniel

chadnsc

Mar 28, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #30 of 30 (255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daniellebo] Pack for 20+ days out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I like the Granite Gear packs. They are lighter in weight, durable, and the fit can be fine tuned.

I also second using a Tarp Tent, specifically the Squall 2. It is very storm proof, has room for all your gear, and weighs less than 2 pounds.

One very important thing to keep in mind is the amount of food you're going to be carrying. Typically I plan on 2 pounds per day to get in around 4,000 calories while backpacking. If you're going to re-supply twice then you'll be carrying around 13.5 pounds for every 6.5 day out. With the rest of your gear that you'll need (including climbing gear) you'll probably need a 4,200, - 5,500 cubic inch pack. Last year I did a fifteen day backpacking trip where I re-supplied every five days. My pack was 3,800 cubic inches and was just the right size.

I would check out the Stratus Latitude by Granite Gear.

http://www.granitegear.com/..._latitude/index.html

One more thing, don't skimp on carrying water. Would you rater carry an extra pound of water for a few miles or be thirsty for three hours?

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Mar 28, 2007, 8:55 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook