RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Events & Gatherings

Premier Sponsor:

lextalion

Mar 25, 2007, 1:57 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1487 views)
Shortcut

Red Rock Rendevoze 07 clinics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thought it might be cool to post reviews from what ever workshop clinic everyone took at this years event.

Saturday afternoon, I took the Trad efficiency clinic from Tommy Caldwell & his wife Beth Rodden. Yeah they are big name climber and all. However I found that not only were they very personable but the clinic they taught was very useful for my needs currently.

I also enjoyed the fact that this years event was better organized and that Mgear made it so that you signed up for the clinics and didn't sign up for the pro's whom taught the clinic. I my Saturday clinic I found that helped keep the climbers @ appropriate climbing level fro the clinic.

So far things have been a lot of fun.

lextalion

Mar 26, 2007, 6:25 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lextalion] Red Rock Rendevoze 07 clinics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sunday afternoon I ended up taking a clinic from Malcom Daily. He's a teaches a pretty common sense clinic.

While it wasn't earth shattering, I did end up picking up a couple good pointers that will improve the game. Thanks again Malcom.

jgailor

Mar 26, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lextalion] Red Rock Rendevoze 07 clinics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saturday I took the "Get Up and Rock" clinic, which was an intro to setting trad gear. Was fairly disappointed by the clinic, mostly because the people I was taking it with didn't really want to go beyond just setting the gear on the ground. The instructor had two top ropes set up so that we could climb, place pro, and clean it on the way down, but everybody was like "We don't need to climb, we're learning how to set pro on the ground", which is important, but you need to move beyond that to go anywhere.

Sunday I took the "Tricks for Offwidths" clinic from Ivo, and that was awesome. Learned a ton of good info, got to climb a sandstone offwidth a few times, had a great group and Ivo was super cool, great teaching style, and gave excellent answers to whatever question was asked. More than made up for the mediocre clinic on Saturday.

My first year there and I can't wait to go back again.

ammon

Mar 28, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgailor] Red Rock Rendevoze 07 clinics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Randy wrote a TR on my clinic here:

http://www.supertopo.com/...msg=348862#msg348862

(This post was edited by ammon on Mar 28, 2007, 9:06 PM)

Partner jhundrup

Apr 2, 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ammon] Red Rock Rendevoze 07 clinics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I managed to work in a clinic on Sunday afternoon and took crack climbing and offwidths with Kevin Wilkinson. After not having climbed for quite a while, they were very kind to drag me up an offwidth that I was exhausted trying. Kevin was a great teacher and an extremely nice guy. He talked about a lot more than just crack climbing technique.

He discussed breathing while climbing, fear, being tense, and much more. I especially enjoyed hearing him talk about getting over lead head and overcoming fear of a fall. I'd tell you more, but it's his story and you should go to the rendevous next year if you didn't make it this year.

Jared

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook