Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
what grade are you on and how long climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

miademus

Mar 29, 2007, 1:07 PM
Post #26 of 93 (4524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [solo1220] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've tsarted climbing a year ago but left it very soon, i've startteed climbing about 6month ago and don't train regular work on v6/7...

poomasta

Mar 29, 2007, 2:16 PM
Post #27 of 93 (4513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
I've been climbing 1 week and just climbed a v14. Seriously bud, who gives a flying shit! A grade is not reflective on how you are progressing in climbing. Climbing is not about competition with a winner and loser and a best! Its about great experiences. What grade you tick is a very small part of how you are progressing. What is a better guage is how many different types of styles of climbing you can become proficient in (crack, slab, roofs, vertical, slopers, crimps, nubbin pinching, bouldering, trad, sport, alpine, soloing, etc.) If you are a beginner just go out there and have fun.

this crap ticks me off. a guy asks a simple question, wanting to gauge his own progress relative to others, and he gets a barrage of pissed off climbers who shred him for climbing for the wrong reasons. who are you to say why someone should pursue climbing? climb for your own reasons, but enough with the proselytizing. answer the question or go start ur own thread about how YOU have determined the only legitimate reason we all should climb.

to the OP:
been climbing about 3 years, just got into bouldering in the past year, and usually do problems in the v4/5 range.

diophantus

Mar 29, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #28 of 93 (4508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmacblue42] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cmacblue42 wrote:
...Another thing, my gym rates significantly harder than other gyms, so in most other gyms, add 1 grade to the above mentioned (i have confirmed this myself and also based on an overwhelming consensus of local climbers).

bwahahahaha, that's the funniest stuff I've read all morning.

diophantus

Mar 29, 2007, 3:05 PM
Post #29 of 93 (4502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:
I've been climbing 1 week and just climbed a v14. Seriously bud, who gives a flying shit!

Sponsors?

munky wrote:
A grade is not reflective on how you are progressing in climbing.

Hahahahaha

munky wrote:
Climbing is not about competition with a winner and loser and a best!

Except for climbing competitions.

munky wrote:
Its about great experiences. What grade you tick is a very small part of how you are progressing. What is a better guage is how many different types of styles of climbing you can become proficient in (crack, slab, roofs, vertical, slopers, crimps, nubbin pinching, bouldering, trad, sport, alpine, soloing, etc.)

So someone who only boulders but climbs v13 hasn't progressed very much?

munky

Mar 29, 2007, 3:22 PM
Post #30 of 93 (4490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [diophantus] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[So someone who only boulders but climbs v13 hasn't progressed very much?]

No, I'm not saying that. But the point is for a beginner to not worry about how hard they climb but to sample and see other types of climbing. If you are bouldering V13 more than likely you've been exposed to other forms of climbing and have decided to specialize in bouldering.

munky

Mar 29, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #31 of 93 (4487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[this crap ticks me off. a guy asks a simple question, wanting to gauge his own progress relative to others, and he gets a barrage of pissed off climbers who shred him for climbing for the wrong reasons. who are you to say why someone should pursue climbing? climb for your own reasons, but enough with the proselytizing. answer the question or go start ur own thread about how YOU have determined the only legitimate reason we all should climb.]

I'm sorry you got so ticked off. Can I get you a tissue to dry your crying eyes. Its called a forum and a thread for a reason: So each individual can respond according to how they see fit with regards to the question. I responded as I would have if someone had asked that to me in person. I hope the author of the question will realize from my response that there is much more to climbing than how hard you climb. And that the better climber or more advanced climber isn't necessarily the one who can climb a harder boulder problem or a harder sport route but who is generally well schooled at various styles and types of climbing.

poomasta

Mar 29, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #32 of 93 (4476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

munky wrote:

I'm sorry you got so ticked off. Can I get you a tissue to dry your crying eyes. Its called a forum and a thread for a reason: So each individual can respond according to how they see fit with regards to the question. I responded as I would have if someone had asked that to me in person. I hope the author of the question will realize from my response that there is much more to climbing than how hard you climb. And that the better climber or more advanced climber isn't necessarily the one who can climb a harder boulder problem or a harder sport route but who is generally well schooled at various styles and types of climbing.

Yes it is a forum...where people ask questions and you apparently provide them with a snide reply that doesn't address their inquiry in the least. He didn't ask your opinion on why he should be climbing or ask for your silly definition of what an "advanced" climber is... (I think you meant "all-arounder" or "generalist" maybe). Anyway, you seem hung up on getting others to accept your reason for climbing so passionately that you use it as a response to questions not asked! That's, umm, weird man...

alpinerock

Mar 29, 2007, 5:35 PM
Post #33 of 93 (4467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay i'll post up, unlike a lot of people here i like grades. Thats right I like numbers, they help me gauge my progress and help me justify my often times overwhelming ego. Having said that I've learned not to put too much emphasis on a particular grade, I've sent V9's that i swear are harder than any V13 I've been on (think duct tape and gerbils in LCC..) and i've sent V11's that i though were maybe V9 at best (think anything from Donner Summit). To answer your question I've sent V12 (outside, i've never had a gym pass, as a matter of fact i always send harder outside than indoors) and I've almost been climbing for four years now.

chainsaw

Mar 29, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #34 of 93 (4447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinerock] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What V12 have you done Alpinerock?

alpinerock

Mar 29, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #35 of 93 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chainsaw] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess its not univerisally accepted as V12 but Pro-series in LCC, I know mike beck considers it a V11 but everyone else i've talked to calls it 12. When i asked dave graham about its grade he said new school V12 or old V11. I don't trust my judgment enough to say what its really graded.

ninja_climber

Apr 4, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #36 of 93 (4367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for 2 years and I boulder about V8/V9...unfortunately I still can't get past 5.12a/b...

esqueleto

Apr 11, 2007, 5:12 PM
Post #37 of 93 (4309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

been climbing for about 3 weeks or so and loving the crimps. dependant on the problem i can get v2-v3 pretty easily, but sloppers fuck me up and cracks just feel wierd. soon though it'll all feel right.

uhoh

Apr 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #38 of 93 (4270 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esqueleto] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing and bouldering for only a few months. I can do V1, probably 1+. V2s seem outside my range but I'm sure I can get them with a little practice.

alwaysclimbing07

Apr 12, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #39 of 93 (4242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive been climbing for a little over a year and a half now, and climb hard 5.12's, and i just got back from hueco a few days ago, and while i was there i sent king cobra(v6) in about 30 muinets, if that helps any. ive pulled harder indoors, but who hasn't.

(This post was edited by alwaysclimbing07 on Apr 12, 2007, 2:01 PM)

fearlessclimber

Apr 13, 2007, 5:17 AM
Post #40 of 93 (4186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alwaysclimbing07] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

solid V6 baby, im workin on getting to 10s by the end of this summer. I sport much harder though

gilles

Apr 19, 2007, 4:37 AM
Post #41 of 93 (4127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fearlessclimber] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing 1 month ago, and I found a new route in some place where I can't tell you and chris sharma and david graham and i, sent a problem rated at V18.5, so says David. took me a couple tries but i made it.

Who gives a shit! Blah blah blah

trenchdigger

Apr 19, 2007, 4:55 AM
Post #42 of 93 (4122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought the scale topped out at Grade 7?

I've been climbing a little over 4 years and attempted my first Grade 4 in January - the Sun Ribbon Arete on Temple Crag. I guess it wasn't the brightest idea to try to do it car-to-car in a day in the middle of winter. Next time we'll cruise it...

Recommended reading: Reinhold Messner's "The Seventh Grade"

And no, it's not about his experiences in Junior High School.

edit: Oh wait, how did I end up in the bouldering forum? Wink

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Apr 19, 2007, 4:56 AM)

billgoat

Apr 20, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #43 of 93 (4080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Proto] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still trying to figure out the grading of bouldering I do it and love it just as much as climbing and I'm aver. maybe above but whats the diff. between v4 n a v8 huh I do some pretty hard stuff w/ a few tries easy ones right away so how do you grade

MONKEY5

Aug 18, 2007, 3:50 AM
Post #44 of 93 (3910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i climb like 1400s so like v-0 v-1 ive been bouldering about a week i guess in the gym.

Vinny_A

Aug 18, 2007, 3:26 PM
Post #45 of 93 (3862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MONKEY5] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive been bouldering for about a week and I can get 450-500s at the gym so I guess thats about a V4-V5.... I think

And I've never done anything above a 5.9 top roping

quiteatingmysteak

Aug 18, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #46 of 93 (3844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

solo1220 wrote:
In a effort to gauge my own progress, i was just curious how long you guys have been bouldering and what grade you're on.

Progress is climbing is not a reward of numbers, its the reward of accomplishment and adventure. Many of the 'top' climbers today recount their most triumphant feats not as the ones that are the 'hardest' numerically, but what was the hardest to earn. There are 5.13 climbers out there that couldn't fight their way up a 5.10 veadawoo offwidth, v10 boulderers that couldn't follow an A2 pitch, and comp-killers who, after 3 years in the circuit, decide that 'climbing' as they see it is no longer rewarding.

If you climb for numbers, something will always replace it. If you climb for the love of the experience, for the drive of pushing yourself, and the accomplishment of knowing that you did something that, a year ago, would seem impossible, than you have something that will last a lifetime.

quiteatingmysteak

Aug 18, 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #47 of 93 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alpinerock wrote:
I guess its not univerisally accepted as V12 but Pro-series in LCC, I know mike beck considers it a V11 but everyone else i've talked to calls it 12. When i asked dave graham about its grade he said new school V12 or old V11. I don't trust my judgment enough to say what its really graded.

If you have to tell someone that you have climbed 'new school v12, old school v11' save your gumby-ness and just say v11.

"I almost sent that v13 the other day but didnt get the last move, so I climb v13ish, because I read on 8a.nu that the last move is v12, so i climbed all the v13 of it."

Smile

thomasribiere

Aug 18, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #48 of 93 (3810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [quiteatingmysteak] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for 10 yrs and don't boulder harder than V2.

spyder14

Aug 20, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #49 of 93 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive been climbing for 2 years and i climb 5.9 sport, and i boulder at v2+

Partner mr8615

Aug 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #50 of 93 (3733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spyder14] what grade are you on and how long climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear if you remove some ribs, you can suck your own... oh wait, what was the question?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook