RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

climbingfoo

Apr 5, 2007, 7:51 PM
Post #1 of 19 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Moving to SF Bay Area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Greetings,
I have recently accepted an exciting new job in SF and will be moving from Austin, TX to SF in late April. I am seeking a comfortable and peaceful environment to live in.
I'm not familiar with the SF Bay Area and am seeking beta on where to live. Mission District, where Mission Cliffs climbing gym is located, has been suggested to me. The idea that I can walk to a climbing gym really appeals to me.
I just started looking on http://sfbay.craigslist.org/roo/ and am open to other beta on finding a room.

Thanks.

scuclimber

Apr 5, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #2 of 19 (1764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingfoo] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would consider walking distance to work as a more important criterion, or at least a short bike or public transit ride, as, depending on your job, you'll probably be going to work more often than the gym. I live in Nob Hill and thoroughly enjoy it. However, I don't get down to Mission Cliffs that much because: 1. I'm a law student and it's damn expensive for the little time I'd spend their; 2. It's a ways from here and I hate to move my car because parking sucks and I don't really like biking from here to there. Anyway, my .02.

climbingfoo

Apr 5, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #3 of 19 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks. That's a good point. My office will be located in the SF international airport. So, I'm hoping to use BART for going to/from work and bike/walk for everything else. Ideally, I would only like to drive for climbing or other outdoor activities.

Is parking expensive or is it hard to find or both?

I'm open to more beta, thanks!

(This post was edited by climbingfoo on Apr 5, 2007, 10:37 PM)

jpdreamer

Apr 6, 2007, 9:09 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, don't know much about the mission district. If you live near Glen Canyon Park, there's a few outcroppings that get bouldered on there. It's certainly not a destination, but enjoyable none the less. I've heard south of market has some of the more affordable rents around the city, although I havn't done a thorough analysis. Oh, be aware as you're looking around that although caltrain passes directly by the airport, to reach it you have to get off caltrain and transfer to BART just to go from milbrae to the airport, so although I'm sure this commute is easier around rush hour when they're running more trains, it still is annyoing. That said, if you go just a bit down the penninsula you'll have a marked increase in the number of sunny days (in the summer when the city often wears a cloak of fog, the panninsula is clear and sunny as the coast range blocks the bulk of the clouds). Also, most towns down the penninsula actually have a downtown area. (not sure about milbrae, but Burlinggame has a nice one, as does San Mateo, and Belmont has a pretty good gym (not sure about it's downtown).

So if you don't mind more foggy days (not sure about rents), either the mission district of near glen canyon park sound like good locations.

Other random beta: standing room only tickets at the opera or the ballet are only $10, an especially good bargin considering the people you're standing behind probably paid over $100 for their seats. You're welcome to PM me if you have any questions about the area, though I know more about the south bay than the city (and there are certainly those around the boards that know more about both than I).

scuclimber

Apr 6, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #5 of 19 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jpdreamer] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Potrero Hill, which is close to Mission Cliffs, gets a markedly larger amount of sunshine than the rest of the City (P.S.- People will know you're not from around here if you call it 'Frisco... Frisco is a town in CO). If you're working at the airport, you could live close to a BART station and be fine. If you're only using your car on weekends, then parking isn't *that* big of a deal. A "Residential Parking Permit" for your neighborhood is $60 for the year, although your car must be registered in your name at your new address (i.e. CA license and registration... i.e. PITA). Cheers.

climbingfoo

Apr 7, 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #6 of 19 (1716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jpdreamer] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the great info! So what's your experience in SF so far?

climbingfoo

Apr 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #7 of 19 (1715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I'm not looking forward to dealing with finding housing and dealing with car registration.

jpdreamer

Apr 7, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #8 of 19 (1699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well most of my SF experience is exploring, I could tell you a lot more about daily living stuff for the south bay. but here are some observations and things I've found which were cool.

Twin peaks is my favorite view from within the city though crissy field and along the lands end trail are spectacular too, cliff house is my favorite view while dining, it's faster to drive through the city to the GG via 280 to sunset dr. than via 101, taking the stairs up telegraph hill with the steep gardens and units with only stair acess is pretty neat to see, driving 1 along montara mountain is cool, it's a shame the tunnel to bypass devils slide will skip that as well. If you're willing to walk it's usually possible to find free parking (at least on the weekends), the sutro bath ruins seem much more extensive the first time you explore them than they do in later visits, the victorian architecture of the older homes (and of the mansions in places like Sea Cliff Drive) is really cool, watching cars head down Filbert street is like watching a roller coaster drop plunge over that first drop.

temperedinsanity

Apr 9, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #9 of 19 (1674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Living in San Francisco has a lot to do with preference. There are a lot of great places to live if you prefer different styles and how much you're willing to spend.

If you have a car and a parking space dedicated to it in your building...then driving to Mission Cliffs is easy and there's ample parking in that area (it's a few blocks off the main Misison drag), i've never had a problem finding parking at the gym. The closest BART station to the gym is a good 10 blocks i'd guess from the gym and i agree too that biking is a common mode of transportation to the gym from what i've seen.

Living IN the mission...there's all kinds of street parking problems all the time unless you have your own spot off the street. Its a very busy area with a lot of cool places to eat, funky coffee shops, restaurants etc (lot of really good mexican food since that area is a very hispanic neighborhood). But apartments i looked at tended to be older and smaller and a little run down and shady at times. But they do tend to be cheaper than the rest of the city but you get what you pay for.

Potrero hill is a nice area but the apartments out there are more expensive and it's pretty much all residential or warehouses without much in the way of entertainment or the convenience of the corner markets and stuff you find throughout other parts of the city.

The North beach/nob hill area is pretty nice, with a lot of bars and restaurants, just south of Fisherman's whark and all the toursity stuff out there. Parking on the street is also a problem because of all the tourists but the apartments are nicer.

Personally, i live in the hayes valley area and i love it. It's right in the middle of the city so it's pretty convenient to just about anything. There are a few little parks in the area, it's got some trendy shops and restaurants and tends to be a little quieter than other parts of the city. But again...that's my preference.

Places to avoid at all costs if possible...the tenderloin...cheapest apartments in the city because they are awful and tiny and the area is crime ridden and dirty. I don't even like driving through the area at night let alone walking. The Outer sunset, which i lived in for a while cuz its cheap but HATED it. It is sooo far out of the way of everything, though being close to the beach is nice, it's a pain to get anywhere fun. Bayview...again another scary part of town with cheap rent but crime problems.

When you get out here, feel free to drop me a pm and i'd be happy to show you around a bit :)

zeke_sf

Apr 9, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #10 of 19 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingfoo wrote:
I am seeking a comfortable and peaceful environment to live in.

So, why are you moving to SF? Yeah, yeah, yeah, they indoctrinate you with how beautiful and exciting this place is, blah, blah, blah, but, really, everyday life here is mostly a pain in the butt complete with sidewalks covered in human feces, urine and syringes in the gutter. But hey, if you have the money and desire for a "hip" lifestyle, who gives a fuck, right? A little bitter? Yes. But also true. It's still probably better than TX though.

climbingfoo

Apr 10, 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #11 of 19 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [temperedinsanity] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, thanks for all the great info!

climbingfoo

Apr 10, 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #12 of 19 (1644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm moving to SF because of work. I figure if I'm moving to SF, I might as well get the whole urban living experience... so yea.

caughtinside

Apr 10, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #13 of 19 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
climbingfoo wrote:
I am seeking a comfortable and peaceful environment to live in.

So, why are you moving to SF? Yeah, yeah, yeah, they indoctrinate you with how beautiful and exciting this place is, blah, blah, blah, but, really, everyday life here is mostly a pain in the butt complete with sidewalks covered in human feces, urine and syringes in the gutter. But hey, if you have the money and desire for a "hip" lifestyle, who gives a fuck, right? A little bitter? Yes. But also true. It's still probably better than TX though.

HAHAHAHA!!!! Good stuff zeke.

tantrikclimber

Apr 12, 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #14 of 19 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey climbingfoo,

Welcome to the area. I just moved to the bay area myself from the East Coast and still settling in. I currently live in Mountain View (South Bay) but am currently looking for places in San Francisco (like you, I'm also seeking a 'more urban' experience + living in the 'burbs is plain boring. my criteria is also to be close to mission cliffs (climbing is our obsession, right?). Let me know when you are coming down here, and if you have any questions. Also I'm looking for a roomie in the city, so that's an option we could explore if you are interested.

Cheers
In reply to:

dirtme

Apr 13, 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #15 of 19 (1572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tantrikclimber] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My only suggestion is not to pick up the soap if you drop it. It's San Francisco after all.

slablizard

Apr 13, 2007, 4:25 PM
Post #16 of 19 (1569 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dirtme] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey welcome to the Bay Area!

amy

Apr 14, 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #17 of 19 (1555 views)
Shortcut

Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke- check out caughtinside's post on sonorapassclimbing recounting how many times he pooped one day in the valley before climbing. i think you might find someone to blame for the feces :)
(how's the hand?)

zeke_sf

Apr 15, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #18 of 19 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amy] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amy wrote:
zeke- check out caughtinside's post on sonorapassclimbing recounting how many times he pooped one day in the valley before climbing. i think you might find someone to blame for the feces :)
(how's the hand?)

I doubt he's responsible for the feces, but I'm pretty sure the used syringes are his. That's how the homeless here play darts, you know. If you're carrying a bag from Target, you had better watch out. True story.

caughtinside

Apr 15, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #19 of 19 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Moving to SF Bay Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
amy wrote:
(how's the hand?)

I doubt he's responsible for the feces, but I'm pretty sure the used syringes are his. That's how the homeless here play darts, you know. If you're carrying a bag from Target, you had better watch out. True story.

Well now! It seems my gastrointestinal issues have, um, leaked from one forum to another!

amy, I will have you know that said events took place in teh camp 4 bathroom, whist I was reading some clever graffiti on the stalls.

However, since you have shown such interest, I will keep you up to date on all future movements! I will be sure to CC zeke on those as well.

Crazy

oh well. I am off to, as zeke would say, "Release the Prisoners!!"

(This post was edited by caughtinside on Apr 15, 2007, 9:12 PM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook