Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner bear829

Apr 14, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #1 of 34 (6918 views)
Shortcut

Anyone else have theirs often?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The last five months or so, I've had a period every two weeks and they last for about six days. I was wondering if there are any others out there that have or had something like that or know what it may be. I have a theory as to what it maybe, but I was looking for some other insight.

Thanks,
Sarah

htotsu

Apr 14, 2007, 8:13 AM
Post #2 of 34 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If by "two weeks" you are starting from day one, and you are on for 6 days, essentially you are one week on and one week off for five months. I have never heard of this. If it has been five months of this I recommend that you see a doctor immediately (if you have not already done so).

In addition to the fact that that has to suck bigtime (once a month is plenty, thank you), on the small scale you have to consider whether you are becoming anemic. On the larger scale, this sounds very unusual to me. Though I hope you are fine, you really need to find out what is causing this.

Partner bear829

Apr 14, 2007, 1:42 PM
Post #3 of 34 (6868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First, there is two weeks in between. Its terrible. I've talked to three different OB/GYNs and they don't know what it is. I don't have the money to get boards run to find out what is actually going on. I have gotten a script for the anemia and have changed my diet to help with that. There are two things that it could be, but not for sure unless we run tests. They said it could be either cysts or it could be cancer. I will have insurance in a few weeks time, so hopefully I will be able to figure things out.

Thanks though.

htotsu

Apr 14, 2007, 7:29 PM
Post #4 of 34 (6840 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so sorry. Frown That must be very freaky. I'm glad the insurance is on the way, and I hope you get some relief soon.

lhwang

Apr 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #5 of 34 (6809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, because it sounds like what you're going through is very scary.

I'm not entirely sure what you hope to accomplish by posting online. If you've already seen 3 ob/gyns and they are not sure what's going on, I doubt you are going to get much useful information here. It could be any number of things: endometriosis, use of Depo or Mirena birth control, fibroids, PCOS, endometriosis, anovulatry bleeding or as you mentioned, ovarian cancer. And the list goes on.

It sounds like 3 doctors have said that you need further investigations to potentially rule out cancer. Although ovarian cancer is pretty rare in younger women, it carries a horrendous possibility. It concerns me that the docs have specifically discussed cysts/ovarian cancer with you, because that to me implies that they palpated some kind of ovarian mass on bimanual exam.

I understand that you don't have any insurance. But it sounds to me like you need to get those tests done sooner rather than later, instead of seeking random advice on an internet rockclimbing forum.

Again, I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but I just think you need to know how serious this situation could potentially be.

Partner bear829

Apr 15, 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #6 of 34 (6790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only reason I posted was to see if someone else had gone through something something like that. I was just wonder was all. The doctors said nothing to me about anything yet. I've done some research on it and given the family background, its possible given I'm not on bc.

Things will figure themselves out. Thanks though.

burrito

Apr 15, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #7 of 34 (6737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the exact same thing pretty much all throughout my teenage years. They tested for cysts and found none. Ultimately I just went on the pill and since then I've been completely regular (once I found the right pill, anyway). I don't know how helpful this is, seeing as I never got a "diagnosis," but hopefully it will at least make you feel better to know that other women out there have had this problem and nothing too terrible has come of it! Smile

reno_rock

Apr 16, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #8 of 34 (6698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was extremely irregular when going through my teenage years too, only start on Depo, then bleed every day for 4 months straight. I switched to regular BC, and was regular, but moody/touchy the whole time (regardless of types of BC). I finally got off of them in January, and since then I too have had periods all the time. I have been checked for cysts, cancer, endometriosis, and anemia, as well as hyper/hypo thryroid, and I'm totally normal. Lucky me though, the bleeding is short, no cramps/bloating, so while I'm single...its not such a problem.

I totally understand your post- sometimes its a relief to get it out there, and see if anyone else has experienced what you are.

Hopefully your tests come back normal. Also- in regards to lack of insurance, most clinics/planned parenthood, will do that work for a significantly lower cost to you, sometimes for free.

Good luck!Smile
In reply to:

Partner bear829

Apr 16, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #9 of 34 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno_rock] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys. You threw out a couple of things that i hadn't even thought of. I can not take bc. So I'm not sure that i will ever be regular unless I can figure things out. Thanks again though, its nice to hear that other people have had the same things.

wonderwoman

Apr 16, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #10 of 34 (6645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's funny - I was considering posting about my own ovarian scare. I did not have any of these symptoms, but am going into an OB/GYN tomorrow to find out more about an endometrial cyst on my left ovary and a 'neoplasm' on my right. The dictionary definition of neoplasm is 'tumor'. While I am a little shaken by this word, I know that it is not necessarily a diagnosis of ovarian cancer nor is it a death sentence. But what concerns me most is that there were absolutely no symptoms on my right side. And if it weren’t for this little pesky cyst on my left side, I would have never known about any trouble brewing on the right.

lhwang wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you hope to accomplish by posting online. If you've already seen 3 ob/gyns and they are not sure what's going on, I doubt you are going to get much useful information here.

I think this is a HUGE women's health issue and important to openly discuss. Posting this stuff on the internet offers an opportunities for us to ask other women things like:
1. What are the names of the tests that I should ask my doc to rule out cancer?
2. What should I expect when I go to the doctor? What are those further investigations or procedures?

It is so unfortunate, but true, that we have to be hyper-vigilant about our health care and our own advocates about getting the right tests. But you have to know what to ask for. I'm sure that my doc thought that I was being a huge pain in her butt and that I was the perfectly healthy woman with the stomach pain and over-active bladder.

For months I had been going back and forth from the docs, and even the ER once, for strange symptoms of abdominal pain / frequent and urgent urination / and sometimes nausea. I even gained 10lbs and I’m sure it all went to my stomach. I remember taking a self rescue class and dreading the pressure of leaning back in my harness. I thought for sure that I was having kidney problems and was turned away as healthy since I did not have a fever and there was no evidence of infection in my urine sample. I heard the ER doc say ‘Tell the well-looking woman in room number 3 that she does not have a tubal pregnancy, and because there is not enough blood in her urine and she is not in enough pain for this to be a kidney stone.’ After a few days, my symptoms would always go away and I was wondering if it were all in my head.

Finally, my symptoms got worse while my doctor was on vacation. I thought I had had a kidney infection and was feeling so nauseous that I asked to see ANY doctor available. That doctor immediately arranged for me to have an ultrasound of my ovaries. The person performing the ultrasound checked on my left and confirmed, ‘Yes, there’s a cyst there – now let’s look at the right’. There were a few minutes of silence before she said ‘There’s one on your right… and it’s bigger’. When I let out a gasp, she reassured me that these things happen all the time. No, it’s probably not cancer. Yes, it looks like a cyst. Then my doc called it a 'neoplasm'. But I guess I'll find out what it is for sure soon.

So, now I know that I am not in the exact same boat as the OP, bear829. But I think we are both looking for the right questions to ask our docs and stories of other's experiences, and maybe empathy.

I certainly could use some advice and good thoughts. I'm sending my good vibes to you bear829. I hope that you feel better and get some help and answers for yourself. The US health care system is so screwed up, and you do have to be your own advocate to get ANYTHING out of it.

carabiner96

Apr 16, 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #11 of 34 (6641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got all the good vibes i can send...both of you! that's scary stuff right there, but I know both of you will pull through fine!

wonderwoman

Apr 16, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #12 of 34 (6607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bear829 wrote:
I've done some research on it and given the family background, its possible given I'm not on bc.

I've been taking BC for 10 years, and I have cysts. Also, please don't let things figure themselves out. Be active. You're health department may have free cancer screenings or a woman's health dept. Planned Parenthood might also be able to give you some tips or know of free care that you are eligible for.

I also wanted to remind everyone of the HERA Foundation, which has lots of information on ovarian cancer and some of the myths.

http://herafoundation.org/index.cfm

This is from the HERA webpage:
Awareness is Our Best Defense
Raising awareness is key to saving lives. HERA is committed to informing women, the people who love them and the doctors who treat them about the symptoms of the disease and what they can do if they suspect ovarian cancer.

Because ovarian cancer does not have many survivors ( 78% of women who are diagnosed are diagnosed late when the chance for survival is low), we need you to get involved.

Out Loud
Speak up. Speak Out. Just a simple email of the information below will raise awareness. Be a myth buster – make sure all your friends know the symptoms of this disease. It is not a silent killer. Together we can save lives.

Ovarian Cancer What You should Know

Ovarian cancer is not an uncommon disease. It is the fourth leading cause of cancer death among women and kills more women than all the other reproductive cancers combined.

Ninety percent of women who get the disease have no family history.

Ovarian cancer has symptoms, Even early stage disease.According to a recent study by Barbara Goff, only 11% of women with early stage disease had no symptoms.

There is not a reliable test for ovarian cancer like the pap smear for cervical cancer or the mammogram for breast cancer. Over 78% of the women diagnosed this year will be diagnosed after the disease has spread when the chance for survival is less than 20%.

When ovarian cancer is caught early, it is highly curable.

Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer

Abdominal pressure, bloating, or discomfort
Nausea, indigestion, or gas
Urinary frequency, constipation, or diarrhea
Abnormal bleeding
Unusual fatigue
Unexplained weight loss or gain
Shortness of breath

Take action if any symptoms last more than 2-3 weeks. Consult a healthcare professional if any symptoms persist and they are unusual for you. Experts recommend a pelvic/rectal exam, a transvaginal ultrasound and a CA125 test. Pap smears test only for cervical cancer. If ovarian cancer is suspected ask to see a gynecological oncologist.

Partner bear829

Apr 16, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #13 of 34 (6580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am making a little headway in the matter. I called up one of the doctors that my mum works with and, although he is not an OB/GYN, he thinks they might just be cysts and that there is really nothing to worry about in the way of cancer. Unfortuneatly, I have a high risk for ovarian and breast cancer in my family along with hypertension, they can't completely rule out cancer at this point. I've already set up an appointment with another OB/GYN when I get insurance up and running. Thanks again guys. I'll keep you posted on what it can be.

lhwang

Apr 16, 2007, 9:06 PM
Post #14 of 34 (6579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you that this is a huge women's issue in general. Far too many women suffer with heavy periods, irregular periods, frequent periods, painful periods because there is some taboo in our culture about discussing menstruation openly.

From what bear829 posted, it sounds like her doctors have ovarian cancer on the differential diagnosis. That's not something to be taken lightly. Perhaps my post did come across as harsh. But I think it's only fair to let bear829 that this is a potentially very serious matter. I think you're right that she shouldn't just let things figure themselves out, and that's what I was trying to communicate.

Up until last year, I would very frequently post medical information on this forum. I personally feel that's irresponsible of me given that I can't get a full history or examine the patient, and given that the information could potentially be misinterpreted and lead to a false sense of security.

I feel very frustrated by the number of patients I see on a virtually daily basis who let things go way too long because they looked something up online or talked to friends about a problem they were having or tried to self-diagnose themselves. If you are concerned about something, you need to see a doctor in person. Not wander around the internet consulting random sources.

There is nothing wrong with being informed. It's not a substitue for proper medical care though.

But that's just my 2 cents, and I sincerely hope everything works out for you and bear829.

Partner macherry

Apr 17, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #15 of 34 (6562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it's great that we look outside our medical professionals for additional information and support.

I did have frequent periods after my second child was born.......almost every two weeks. My doctor ruled out any other anomalies and i went back to birth control pills to regulate my periods and heavy flow. Sometimes there is no reason for the change in menstrual cycles.

I've also had an ultrasound to rule out ovarian cysts and a rectal exam and colonoscopy because pain can radiate through the abdomenal area and there is a history of polyps/ and bowel issues in my family. Just make sure you get the tests you need and make sure your dr. covers all the bases. Do research on your own so you know what questions to ask your dr.

wonderwoman

Apr 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #16 of 34 (6557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
I feel very frustrated by the number of patients I see on a virtually daily basis who let things go way too long because they looked something up online or talked to friends about a problem they were having or tried to self-diagnose themselves. If you are concerned about something, you need to see a doctor in person. Not wander around the internet consulting random sources.

Yes, I agree and thanks for the clarification. Since this seems to be your field, how might you recommend a patient prepare herself to help the doctor find answers? For instance, for the first time in my life I fully intend to go in the doctor's office tomorrow with a written timeline of dates of my cycle, and dates and description of my pains and strange occurances. I am also planning to write out my own questions for the doctor so that I don't forget to ask something that I feel is important for me to know.

If a patient handed this to you, would you roll your eyes and think 'this lady is nuts' or think that this is useful information and relevant to treatment? At the very least, it will become part of my medical file.

So, I guess what I am asking is not for medical advice, but rather how someone should best prepare herself rather than troubleshoot on the internet. If you are lucky, you might get 10 minutes of face time with a doctor and a lot can get missed in that short visit.

If you don't feel comfortable answering this, I understand. But I think this is not necessarily 'medical' advice as much as it is advice on how to talk to your doctor and help her help you. Does this make sense? How does someone transform herself from the unhelpful-self-diagnosing-internet-searcher into a 'good patient'? Knowing this would be useful, at least to me! Thanks

snoangel

Apr 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #17 of 34 (6472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I'm not a doctor, I think the more info you are able to provide your doc regarding your issue, the better.

I was recently diagnosed with Exertional Compartment Syndrome. While this is not a women's issue, I think my method helped me get the proper diagnosis in a shorter amount of time than if I had gone in unprepared.

First - I did internet searches regarding my symptoms and the various diagnoses I could have. I read multiple articles, avoiding sources which regurgitate info from other websites.

Once I narrowed it down, I wrote down a timeline of my pain, including precise info as to where and how to best explain the type of pain I was feeling.

Finally - when I went in to see the doc, I mentioned that I thought I might have ECS and geve him the detailed information.

The doc still did the tests to verify it wasn't something else, but in the end I was correct with my diagnosis. What I have is not very common and often misdiagnosed. People often go years being treated for the wrong thing before they finally get the correct diagnosis. (Waiting years does not neccessarily make it worse, it would just make it frustrating.)

So what I'm trying to say after all of this babbling...go in to your doctor as prepared as possible. The more details you can give your doc, the more she has to work with.

Good vibes going out to both of you!!! Smile

lhwang

Apr 19, 2007, 2:41 AM
Post #18 of 34 (6417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, what an interesting question. I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you any suggestions before you had your doctor's appointment, but I hope that everything went well.

I would not think you were nuts if you gave me the information you described. It could potentially be quite helpful, and I'd be glad that you were taking ownership of your health problems and seemed committed to figuring things out.

I think essentially you're asking for my idea of the "perfect patient". I guess the best way for me to describe that would be to realize that the doctor-patient relationship is a partnership, and that both of us are working towards the same goal: what's best for you, the patient.

I don't mind when people look up stuff on the internet and in fact, I think it's great that people care enough to be informed. I always ask people: "Do you have any idea what this might be? Is there anything in particular you're worried about?"

That being said, I would hope that my patients are coming to me because they respect me and trust me. I don't mind when patients question me or want to discuss things, but if I'm going to listen carefully to a patient and consider what he/she has said, then I would like to get the same respect back.

If you are really having problems with a doctor, I don't think the solution is to get better informed and push harder or make demands. The solution is to get a new doctor who will work with you.

wonderwoman

Apr 20, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #19 of 34 (6365 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well - lhwang asked me for an update, so here it is. Maybe my information will help bear829 or somebody else out. I hope so! Otherwise I would not be spilling my guts here to you all.

On Monday I went to the OB/GYN for the first time. I came in with a page of things that I thought were important and broken into three sections. She thought this was helpful and said that I was a 'good documentor'. Here were my sections:

1. General things about my health that weren't asked on the intake form. I'm an athlete, vegetarian with a healthy diet and that I have suddenly gained some girth in my middle.

2. A timeline of my cycle, symptoms and doctor's visits.

3. A list of questions that were important to me. The first question still on my mind is 'Can we rule out ovarian cancer?' The second question was 'Should I be worried about cysts / neoplasms or whatever these thing are appearing on other organs?' (she said not to worry about this). My final question had to do with me being on birth control and having cysts. If I were vulnerable to blood clots, I wanted to get off the pill. But if I got off the pill, I would be even more vulnerable to cysts and PREGNANCY Shocked.

She gave me a thorough internal exam (ugh) and looked at my ultrasound results with me. Unfortunately my right ovary is twice the size of my left. The cystic lesion on my right is even larger than my left ovary itself. My left ovary is a normal size but unfortunately there is a cyst taking up significant real estate there, too.

I asked for a CA 125 blood test (cancer test), but she did not think this was a good idea. She said they usually only do that test with surgery and that it has a high false positive rate. She does not think that I have ovarian cancer, and scheduled me for a follow up and complete abdominal ultrasound mid-May. That means they'll look at my kidneys and all internal organs. If the cyst has gone down in size, it's not cancer. If it has grown, then that is when surgery and the CA 125 blood test come into the conversation. That said, I feel okay about this because 3 different doctors have told me that they do not think I have ovarian cancer. I can wait a few weeks and I'm not going to worry until it is time to worry.

She also gave me a copy of my ultrasound report just fo me. I guess she figured out that I like to keep files on things!

So, this is my unpleasant OB/GYN 'Trip Report'. I'm a little sore from the exam but feeling emotionally good about things. I went climbing at they gym last night and had a great time. Life is good!

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Apr 20, 2007, 1:05 AM)

Partner bear829

Apr 22, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #20 of 34 (6284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Wonderwoman. Over the last few months, I've really been trying to lose weight and I've noticed that I have lost quite a bit of my ass and off my legs, but nothing really in the middle which I was actually the most concerned about losing. I know that having a spare tire isn't proof postive about having a cyst or something along those lines, but it does help a little. It may be an indicator to something more evil. I go to the doctor's this week, so we'll see what's up. Thanks again everyone. Good luck Wonderworman.

wonderwoman

Apr 22, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #21 of 34 (6274 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck to you! Take good care of yourself and don't get discouraged or let the health care bueracracy get in your way. If you need to compare notes or some other support, please send me a PM. I hope you feel better soon!

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Apr 22, 2007, 7:31 PM)

e_free

Apr 24, 2007, 7:24 AM
Post #22 of 34 (6196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This happened to me last year. I was bleedling heavily 5-7 days at a time, every 2 weeks (I have never had any sort of problem in the past). The doc did an exam and freaked me out. Then he gave me a prescription for 3 months of ortho-novum, a generic bc pill. I was to take 4 a day until the bleeding stopped, then 2 a day until the pack was over, then keep taking them normally for two months.

I used to be an EMT. So, I took one look at the prescription and marched it over to the cosco pharmacist, who promptly said what I had thought: "If you do this, you will be in the ER by tomorrow morning." So, I took 2 a day and threw up everything I ate until the bleding stopped, then went down to 1 a day.

In the mean time, the family physician referred me to a specialist who I saw 2 days later. He was livid when he saw the recommendation. He said, "You can't be doing this?" I told him what I was doing, and he sighed with relief.

Then he said, "I can do a sonogram or a special exam, but that will just run up your bill and may not show us what the problem is. I suggest we see if the current regimin works, and if your periods continue normally. Come back if you experience anything abnormal at all. The uterus sometimes has an extra-thick lining which it sheds at an odd time - it is just a part of nature and i think this may be what happened to you. If this is so, I think you will be fine, and the pills will make your body "reset."

And I was fine! Side note is that i found out i hate ortho-novum. Every new pack I gained 5 pounds, and my emotions were all over the place. However, my periods went back to their normal cycle, so after 3 months - with the doctor's approval - I went off and have been fine since. I also learned that I want a different primary care physician!

lhwang

Apr 24, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #23 of 34 (6168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [e_free] Anyone else have theirs often? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

e_free wrote:
This happened to me last year. I was bleedling heavily 5-7 days at a time, every 2 weeks (I have never had any sort of problem in the past). The doc did an exam and freaked me out. Then he gave me a prescription for 3 months of ortho-novum, a generic bc pill. I was to take 4 a day until the bleeding stopped, then 2 a day until the pack was over, then keep taking them normally for two months.

I used to be an EMT. So, I took one look at the prescription and marched it over to the cosco pharmacist, who promptly said what I had thought: "If you do this, you will be in the ER by tomorrow morning." So, I took 2 a day and threw up everything I ate until the bleding stopped, then went down to 1 a day.

In the mean time, the family physician referred me to a specialist who I saw 2 days later. He was livid when he saw the recommendation. He said, "You can't be doing this?" I told him what I was doing, and he sighed with relief.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but high dose OCPs are a standard treatment for acute, heavy menstural bleeding. The typical dose is 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol taken 2-4 times a day for about one week. 1 tablet of ortho-novum contains 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol. So I'm not sure why your pharmacist freaked out (with all due respect, if you're normal otherwise this wouldn't kill you), and I don't know why the specialist was upset either, given that this is what I've been taught by every single ob/gyn I've ever worked with.

I imagine maybe he was shocked because it is definitely a kinder thing to do to give something like promethazine otherwise yeah, you'd be pretty nauseous and end up vomiting a lot. Then again, it doesn't sound like the specialist gave you any anti-emetics.

Of course, if you're a 35-year old smoker or have a history of blood clots or recently had surgery or something like that, it would be a different story.

Anyway, I'd be really curious to know more of the story.

alicia_in_leeds

Apr 24, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #24 of 34 (6167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, because it sounds like what you're going through is very scary.

I'm not entirely sure what you hope to accomplish by posting online. If you've already seen 3 ob/gyns and they are not sure what's going on, I doubt you are going to get much useful information here. It could be any number of things: endometriosis, use of Depo or Mirena birth control, fibroids, PCOS, endometriosis, anovulatry bleeding or as you mentioned, ovarian cancer. And the list goes on.

It sounds like 3 doctors have said that you need further investigations to potentially rule out cancer. Although ovarian cancer is pretty rare in younger women, it carries a horrendous possibility. It concerns me that the docs have specifically discussed cysts/ovarian cancer with you, because that to me implies that they palpated some kind of ovarian mass on bimanual exam.

I understand that you don't have any insurance. But it sounds to me like you need to get those tests done sooner rather than later, instead of seeking random advice on an internet rockclimbing forum.

Again, I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but I just think you need to know how serious this situation could potentially be.

I understand what you meant but I can sympathise with the person who posted the question. I've had massive problems with my period (probably from a mix of long distance running and climbing)--I went 1 entire year without any period, and then immediately following that I had a period that lasted 5 months, continuously. I did go to the doctor twice (two different doctors) but both times was frustrated at the lack of any initiative on the doctors' parts to actually figure out what was wrong with me. Instead, they both simply prescribed me birth control pills (which I declined because they have in the past had negative impacts on my running) and then during the 5 month continuous period tested me to see if I was anemic (which I wasn't). At no point did they suggest any tests for any type of cancer or anything else, and I didn't have enough medical knowledge to know what sort of test I should be asking for. The experience was completely frustrating and I can entirely see why it might be helpful to see what others' experiences have been.

e_free

Apr 25, 2007, 7:56 AM
Post #25 of 34 (6122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
e_free wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but high dose OCPs are a standard treatment for acute, heavy menstural bleeding. The typical dose is 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol taken 2-4 times a day for about one week. 1 tablet of ortho-novum contains 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol. So I'm not sure why your pharmacist freaked out (with all due respect, if you're normal otherwise this wouldn't kill you), and I don't know why the specialist was upset either, given that this is what I've been taught by every single ob/gyn I've ever worked with.

I imagine maybe he was shocked because it is definitely a kinder thing to do to give something like promethazine otherwise yeah, you'd be pretty nauseous and end up vomiting a lot. Then again, it doesn't sound like the specialist gave you any anti-emetics.

Of course, if you're a 35-year old smoker or have a history of blood clots or recently had surgery or something like that, it would be a different story.

Anyway, I'd be really curious to know more of the story.

I'm not anemic, but I am a freakin lightweight. I have never handled high doses of medicine of any sort well. The regular doctor made out the prescription, and did not prescribe any anti-emitics because he said it wasn't necessary... "you might feel a little nauseated, but that's normal." The drug handbook i have said as much, so I mentally shrugged, and off I went. I figured it would make me mildly nauseated in the way Benadryl makes one mildly drowsy. Meaning, feeling a bit low (as opposed to incapacitated, which is what happened).

I was supposed to take one pill every 6 hours, and my body just could not handle it. With previous vomitus experiences, I have learned that once I start heaving, my body is not done until I am so drained that I pass out... and that's long after there's nothing left to vomit. I took the first two pills and vomitted for the next 6 hours. Rinse, repeat.

The last time I started throwing up like that, it took me an hour to get dressed! My volume was so low I would wake up, sit up, put on one pant leg, and pass out... wake up, sit up, put on my shirt, and pass out. You get the idea. My bp *after* a liter of fluid was 95/62. Fun. Tongue

I'm the weirdo who likes shots (since I can't vomit them up). I never get car sick, sea sick, or air sick though, which is an absolute blessing! It is only when I get sick or take high doses of medication that I vomit (oh yeah, and Del Taco - never eat there! I have twice, and vomitted both times). Thankfully, I usually go years without vomitting.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook