RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

kevinheiss

Mar 29, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Pull up with Fingerboard??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been reading a lot about fingerboarding and different training sessions. Some articles have stated to NOT do pull up on a fingerboard except with jugs or slopers as it puts a lot of pressure on your joints.

How many people out there do pull ups wiht there fingerboards when using 2 finger or 3 finger pocket?

Kevin

overlord

Mar 29, 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kevinheiss] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i do on one knuckle pockets. i dont do it on crims though.

fancyclaps

Mar 29, 2007, 1:10 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never experienced any stress related injuries climbing until I started using a hangboard. I have switched to only pulling up on the jugs and slopers.

Keep in mind that I have only been climbing for ~1 year so my tendons have yet to really respond to the stresses of rockclimbing(at least according to what I have read about tendon growth). Rock climbing, more so then many athletic endeavors, requires you to really listen to your body to know the difference between pushing yourself and injury. So while it is good to get the input of other climbers you are going to have to answer these questions for yourself. Just because others are able to do 2 finger pull-ups injury free does not mean that you will as well. Just as the fact that I choose not to do certain types of pull-ups on a hangboard does not mean that should be the rule for everyone.

To sort of stray off topic here a bit, I would even question the efficacy of hangboarding in general. Dont get me wrong, if used correctly a hangboard can definitely improve or maintain strength. But how many people actually use a hangboard correctly? Correctly in the sense here that climbing movement and mental skills are emphasized in training to the same degree that strength aspects are. I realize now that I am not at the level of climbing where I truly need a hangboard and I was hung up on the idea of becoming a better climber by becoming a stronger climber. I guess doing desperate pull-ups on a tiny edge is much more glamorous than doing quiet feet movement drills.

mrpotter

Mar 29, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancyclaps] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get bored with just hanging, so I do lots of pull ups. Never really had any problems with it

ninja_climber

Apr 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #5 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do pull ups on crimps,slopers, and 1 & 2 finger pockets. I havn't seen any drawback to it...plus its not as boring as hanging.

Partner robdotcalm

Apr 1, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrpotter] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mrpotter wrote:
I get bored with just hanging, so I do lots of pull ups. Never really had any problems with it

Same here, hanging is so tedious! I don't know whether or not it helps the climbing, it's just a small part of my lifting routine. ..

Cheers,
Rob.calm

(This post was edited by robdotcalm on Apr 1, 2007, 4:17 PM)

sesser125

Apr 1, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do pullups on all of the holds (only with an open grip) and have never hurt my fingers, though thru my research as well I have read info for both sides. I have taken hangboard routines from Ben Moons website, 8a.nu, and metolius. All of them have you doing some sort of pull up on the smaller holds. I suggest you test your limits, though not far enough to hurt yourself, to see whats capable for you. In my opinion though just hanging on them will improve your contact strength. Good Luck

overlord

Apr 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #8 of 15 (4038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sesser125] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh, one more thing... try not to do pullups on 'hard' holds that are less than shoulder width apart as this position forces the arms to turn (pronate or whatever) and puts more stress on outside fingers (say, ring finger) and we all know what this leads to.

tombz

Apr 5, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3921 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try doing Frenchies. Do a pull up as high as you can and lock or hold for 5 to 10 seconds then slowly lower. Repeat without touching the ground but this time lock off or hold when your elbow is at 90 degrees angle, slowly lower then again pull up all the way and come back down and hold at more than 90 degrees. These work great and you can change it up any way you like. Try it. Smile

(This post was edited by tombz on Apr 5, 2007, 5:02 PM)

shimanilami

Apr 5, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do pull-ups on everything that I can do pull-ups on. I mix in Frenchies, dead hangs, hanging crunches, levers, etc. to make things more interesting.

I think the things to avoid are violent moves when you've got a lot of stress on your weaker joints and tendons. What is "weak" - i.e. crimpers, pockets, etc. - is probably a little different for each of us. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. In the meanwhile, I suggest you take a conservative approach. Overdoing it won't help you build strength any faster, but you could hurt yourself and that's the worst thing of all.

azpastordude

Apr 13, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I do pull-ups on everything that I can do pull-ups on. I mix in Frenchies, dead hangs, hanging crunches, levers, etc. to make things more interesting.

I think the things to avoid are violent moves when you've got a lot of stress on your weaker joints and tendons. What is "weak" - i.e. crimpers, pockets, etc. - is probably a little different for each of us. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. In the meanwhile, I suggest you take a conservative approach. Overdoing it won't help you build strength any faster, but you could hurt yourself and that's the worst thing of all.

Good advice. A few years ago, I torqued a middle finger trying to do a mono dyno when I hadn't really built myself to the place where I could actually do it. The finger has always bothered me since. Once I backed off a little, and worked my way up to that point, I can stick them fairly well now. (Still hurts that finger, but not nearly as much.) So, I suppose the moral of the story is, take it easier at first, and then reap fuller rewards later on... Cool

sidepull

Apr 14, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
oh, one more thing... try not to do pullups on 'hard' holds that are less than shoulder width apart as this position forces the arms to turn (pronate or whatever) and puts more stress on outside fingers (say, ring finger) and we all know what this leads to.

a promise carved in stone, deeper than the sea?

shear

Apr 15, 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azpastordude] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

youre not reaping any rewards except a fucked tendon.

thats just careless and dumb on your part.

azpastordude

Apr 15, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shear] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shear wrote:
youre not reaping any rewards except a f-cked tendon.

thats just careless and dumb on your part.

And some people would say that climbing itself is careless and dumb... Relax, dude. Cool

(This post was edited by azpastordude on Apr 15, 2007, 4:22 PM)

phang_nga

Apr 21, 2007, 4:34 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tombz] Pull up with Fingerboard?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tombz wrote:
Try doing Frenchies. Do a pull up as high as you can and lock or hold for 5 to 10 seconds then slowly lower. Repeat without touching the ground but this time lock off or hold when your elbow is at 90 degrees angle, slowly lower then again pull up all the way and come back down and hold at more than 90 degrees. These work great and you can change it up any way you like. Try it. Smile

Tombz, that sounds very difficult... thus, I'd think your onto something.

How many 'reps' would one do? How many times per week?

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook