RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

norsk

Apr 18, 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #1 of 4 (201 views)
Shortcut

North Carolina suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be leading a (non-comercial) trip to NC in the fall. The participants will be novices. I am looking for suggestions of good places to go where 1) we will be out of the way enough to not bother others, and 2) the routes are good. We will be there a few days, and the last day I would like to go to Linville and do one of the Ampitheater multi-pitch routes. But, for the first days, I need somewhere where the participants can learn some basics and get comfortable climbing. I would ideally like single-pitch, easy sport or toprope routes for this, and near the Linville Gorge area. Any suggestions?

saxfiend

Apr 18, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #2 of 4 (191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norsk] North Carolina suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Linville Gorge should give you everything you want; make the Table Rock campground your base. You can start your novices out on topropes in the Chimneys area, then move over to Table Rock and the easy leads there -- maybe just the first pitch of some of the 2-3-pitch routes. After that, you'll be where you want to be for the Amphitheater (the Mummy, Daddy, Prow, etc.).

JL

joshy8200

Apr 18, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #3 of 4 (190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norsk] North Carolina suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sport climbing...do we allow sport climbing in North Carolina?

thorne
Deleted

Apr 18, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #4 of 4 (166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joshy8200] North Carolina suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saxfiend nailed it. Linville Gorge is an excellent destination for your needs.

There is good (and legal) camping about 100 yds from the parking lot, up towards the Chimneys. People frequently camp in the picnic area. It's illegal, but I've never seen anyone hassled for camping there. It tends to be noisy on Friday nights. If you're going to be there for several nights, head on up to the legitimate spots.

Depending on when in the Fall you are going, you might want to have some back up destinations. It can be warm and toasty at Stone, Rumbling Bald or Looking Glass, while conditions are quite cold at Linville.

Have a great trip

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook