RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

yankeebama

Apr 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #1 of 25 (5265 views)
Shortcut

Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone done the the Half Dome Hike? Can it be done on trad instead of using the cables? If so what size gear does it take? I am thinking about taking my wife on it in two weeks.
thanks,
David

ps Any suggestions on easy climbs 5.6 or easier that my wife would enjoy?

time2clmb

Apr 28, 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #2 of 25 (5228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yankeebama] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hahahah...looking forward to the replies this one gets.

tradrenn

Apr 28, 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #3 of 25 (5200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yankeebama wrote:
Has anyone done the the Half Dome Hike? Can it be done on trad instead of using the cables? If so what size gear does it take? I am thinking about taking my wife on it in two weeks.
thanks,
David

ps Any suggestions on easy climbs 5.6 or easier that my wife would enjoy?

dynoho

Apr 29, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #4 of 25 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is Snake Dike an option? 7r, but close to his 5.6. Is there anything easier than SD besides the cables?

scuclimber

Apr 29, 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #5 of 25 (5169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynoho] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cables are always there, the NPS just doesn't prop them up with the posts and slats until a certain date. They lie flat against the rock when they're "down."

flamer

Apr 29, 2007, 12:35 AM
Post #6 of 25 (5166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yankeebama wrote:
Can it be done on trad instead of using the cables? If so what size gear does it take?

The cables are never taken "down" completely.

They lay them down flat against the rock so the poles won't get wiped out by Avalanches and such....but the cables are always there.

SO...you have a couple of options.

You caould lead it if you want and girth hitch the attachment points of the cables for pro/belay's.

You could hand over hand it. Which you'd proabbly do any way.

You could tie prussiks on the cables them self's to "protect" it.

Lot's of options really, just be careful people have fallen to their deaths when the cables were laying down.

josh

majid_sabet

Apr 29, 2007, 4:12 AM
Post #7 of 25 (5074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope you wait till cables are up and weather gets better. Last week a lady fell 550 feet to her death while 4 other people watch her going down .

dingus

Apr 29, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #8 of 25 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a look at the cables when they're down, courtesy Bob Burd and a recent summitpost thread about the same:

Its not hard climbing, not hard at all. But if you slip and you're not attached to something, well, major sabbet was right, a woman died just last week that way.

Here ya go:
http://www.summitpost.org/...?t=27827&start=0

DMT

limeydave

Apr 29, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #9 of 25 (4928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried it about 4 years ago, in early April - but bailed on the last 50ft or so - just too sketchy.
The picture above is a pretty good one - the cables can be partially buried in the ice, and rest of it is a pretty smooth slab and IMO not easily protectable other than by clipping into the cables if you can see enough of them.
It's a great hike anyway, and the campsite in Little Yosemite Valley is really nice when there aren't too many people up there this time of year.
Have a great trip!

reg

Apr 30, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #10 of 25 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
yankeebama wrote:
Can it be done on trad instead of using the cables? If so what size gear does it take?

josh

prussiks on a ridgid steel cable?? 7mm nylon on a steel cable??? i don't think that'll work

dingus

Apr 30, 2007, 4:21 PM
Post #11 of 25 (4768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
flamer wrote:
yankeebama wrote:

josh

prussiks on a ridgid steel cable?? 7mm nylon on a steel cable??? i don't think that'll work

Read the linked thread then.

DMT

shoo

Apr 30, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #12 of 25 (4712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It actually works surprisingly well in some cases, although certainly not nearly as well as nylon-to-nylon prussiking.

I ran a 65 foot climbing and rope course tower this summer, and periodically needed to tighten the guy-cables holding the structure in place. i used a come-along attached to a cemented ground anchor on one end and a 7mm nylon accessory cord on the other, prussiked to the cable. I actually broke a prussik cord once with the amount of force i put on it, but the prussiks never slipped off the cable once they tightened a bit.

The real issue with nylon prussik to steel cable is getting it to catch in the first place. A good solid yank will probably do that, such as in a fall situation. Problems happen if the force is applied slowly.

Does anyone know of any actual testing on this?

(This post was edited by shoo on Apr 30, 2007, 5:06 PM)

reg

Apr 30, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #13 of 25 (4662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
reg wrote:
flamer wrote:
yankeebama wrote:

josh

Read the linked thread then.

DMT

shoo wrote: "The real issue with nylon prussik to steel cable is getting it to catch in the first place. A good solid yank will probably do that, such as in a fall situation. Problems happen if the force is applied slowly."

this was one of my concerns - i read the link but it just said they used them - i'd thought they wouldn't catch and worst - any burrs/rust/corrosion/etc would break um - sounds like a cool walk

flamer

Apr 30, 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #14 of 25 (4600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
flamer wrote:
yankeebama wrote:

josh

You too much "thinking" not enough trying.

josh

hummm

Apr 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #15 of 25 (4554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend just went up Half Dome last Sat. He is not a climber, but he did tied a rope to the cable since his group knew a woman just die last week. It is pretty dried now, and most of the snow and ice off to the side had melted by last weekend's fine weather.

I would use slings with binners to back up the prussiks in case the steel burn through the nylon. Doubt that would happen since it is not exactly a straight fall. Plus the cable is tied down to the rock every 100' or so, you might get some bruises if you slipped, but you won't be sliding down 500' to your death.

Have fun, and remember to bring some gloves. They usually have gloves at the bottom of the cable, but I don't think they are out since the cable is down. Smile

shoo

May 1, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #16 of 25 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
I ran a 65 foot climbing and rope course tower this summer, and periodically needed to tighten the guy-cables holding the structure in place. i used a come-along attached to a cemented ground anchor on one end and a 7mm nylon accessory cord on the other, prussiked to the cable. I actually broke a prussik cord once with the amount of force i put on it, but the prussiks never slipped off the cable once they tightened a bit.

I just realized that I actually misstated myself. Originally, I was originally using 4mm prussik. I put enough tension on that prussik (rated to around 4kn, about half as strong as the 7mm I originally stated) that it broke. After that, I started using 7mm, so I have no idea the amount of force I put on it, only that it was likely greater than 4kn and less than 7.8kn.

To help answer the question in the least helpful way ever, prussiking on cable is, in most cases, pretty safe. If the cable is icy, it might slip more, if it's corroded it may eat through your cord as you move it, and so on, so you should use a backup.

You probably want to use thinner accessory cord (5mm) and maybe an extra wrap so it grips a little better. You also probably should use a carabiner as a backup instead of a second prussik, as you want to yank on the cord with as much initial force as possible (so long as it's well below the cord rating) so it locks up in the case of a fall.

(This post was edited by shoo on May 1, 2007, 1:16 AM)

reg

May 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #17 of 25 (4445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
reg wrote:
flamer wrote:
yankeebama wrote:

josh

You too much "thinking" not enough trying.

josh

so true - hate to say it

yankeebama

May 2, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #18 of 25 (4324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the help.

nornicotine

Sep 26, 2008, 2:06 AM
Post #19 of 25 (4048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, haven't seen this previously.
While climbing the cables on half dome, and using swami belt, slings and carabiners to clip into the cables it becomes quickly obvious that the carabiners become 'cross loaded' when resting against the pole caps which support the cable. That is, if one fell, when the carabiner stops sliding along the cable and it hits the pole cap, the carabiner will be loaded across the spine...(not longitudinally along the long axis of the spine). The carabiner ultimately rests at about a 60 degree angle to the cable. Would a carabiner hold under such conditions, or is it likely to crack apart?

sungam

Sep 26, 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #20 of 25 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nornicotine] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nornicotine wrote:
While climbing the cables on half dome, and using swami belt, slings and carabiners to clip into the cables it becomes quickly obvious that the carabiners become 'cross loaded' when resting against the pole caps which support the cable. That is, if one fell, when the carabiner stops sliding along the cable and it hits the pole cap, the carabiner will be loaded across the spine...(not longitudinally along the long axis of the spine). The carabiner ultimately rests at about a 60 degree angle to the cable. Would a carabiner hold under such conditions, or is it likely to crack apart?
This is definitely worth starting a new thread about, nory.

gunkiemike

Sep 26, 2008, 9:06 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nornicotine] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nornicotine wrote:

Long fall, instant stop = shattered biner and/or broken bones/organs. Classic via ferrata type set-up (read up on it).

dingus

Sep 26, 2008, 9:41 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3805 views)
Shortcut

Re: Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its worth noting that Huell Howser along with thousands of chubby tourists every year make it up and down the cables sans incident.

DMT

yokese

Sep 26, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #23 of 25 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
nornicotine wrote:

Long fall, instant stop = shattered biner and/or broken bones/organs. Classic via ferrata type set-up (read up on it).

^^^

that's correct.
Use something like this:

majid_sabet

Sep 26, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
nornicotine wrote:

^^^

that's correct.
Use something like this:

[image]http://en.petzl.com/images/Produits/Produit_Image_325.jpg[/image]

Yosko
that toy is good if you are in Europe climbing cables that are anchored every 10 feet of so.if you use that thing in HD and take a fall, you still die but it makes it easier for clean up crew to bag you cause you will end up at the end of the cable instead of falling off some other edge.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Sep 26, 2008, 11:19 PM)

nornicotine

Sep 27, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #25 of 25 (3702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Half Dome Hike WITHOUT the Cables? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, others,
Thanks...I'm not an expert, but from what I've seen of via ferrata, the setup shown would work because a fall would load the carabiner correctly, as designed. If we agree as noted by gunkiemike that on HD this is a setup for failure, is there an appropriate alternative?

I do appreciate that thousands make it up and down without incident, but I'm (mostly) worried about me...others are free to do what they will. You do see a lot of slipping and sliding up on HD, and if you clip in, it allows you to rest at each pole without having to white knuckle the cable.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook