RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

gonzobeer

May 1, 2007, 6:44 AM
Post #1 of 14 (5212 views)
Shortcut

Flying with gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So after a long absence on this site I am making my triumphant return. Glad to be back guys
Anyway I gotta question.
So I try to avoid checking baggage when at all possible. Does anyone know what the rules are for carrying on gear? Nothing sharp, but I guess I could bonk someone with a cam or a #12 nut, but other than that I don't see much of a problem.
What do you guys know about flying with gear?

Peace!
-Sam

jgivens

May 1, 2007, 6:56 AM
Post #2 of 14 (5206 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gonzobeer] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried taking a rope in my carry-on luggage, and had to remove it at the security check. Luckily they bagged it and checked it for me, and there were no problems. This was in Europe, though I know security varies all over. Personally I wouldnt try anything metal, like your rack. It sounds stupid, but they can get real picky...

mike_ok

May 1, 2007, 8:47 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its been several years, but I wasn't even allowed to carry-on carabiners on a flight between Paris and the US. I'm sure you could slip one on if your keys were attached, but don't try to take a pile of slings or qd's.

gonzobeer

May 1, 2007, 9:13 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if international flights are different than inter-continental flights. I just hate checking my baggage, you understand

Partner epoch

May 1, 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the TSA web site: http://www.tsa.gov

The only things that you'd have to check is sharp objects, like Ice tools. They are clear about what you can and cannot bring on their page.

Research it yourself.

thedejongs

May 1, 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Search the archives-- lots of threads on this one already. Here's an example:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ring=flying;#1455900

granite_grrl

May 1, 2007, 1:13 PM
Post #7 of 14 (5118 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thedejongs] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its all well and good if you could carry on your entire rack and rope, but the weight restriction for carryons with someone like AirCanada is 22lbs, not to mention the size restrictions.

I guess I just don't pack that light.

talnlnky

May 1, 2007, 1:25 PM
Post #8 of 14 (5108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just moved from the US to Japan... my carry on for United Airlines was limited to 40lbs. Thats plent of weight to get most, if not all climbing gear.

I checked everything and did not have a single problem... chalk, biners, QD's, harness.

billl7

May 1, 2007, 2:05 PM
Post #9 of 14 (5082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Early this April, I flew from NM to CA to NM with my entire rack as carry-on ... except the nut tool went in the check-in luggage. No problem NM->CA. In the other direction, the screener (X-ray?) thought my carry-on was too dense to really inspect. So, they had to open it up a little. That was all.

Had the exact same experience in April of 2006.

(This post was edited by billl7 on May 1, 2007, 2:39 PM)

chumbawumba

May 1, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #10 of 14 (5056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flown three times recently with gear - once domestically and twice internationally. I put my rack minus the cleaning tool in my carry on. (The screeners missed the knife I accidently left in my chalk bag). No problems other than a small delay while the screeners tried to figure out what was in the pack. I haven't tried to carry on a rope.

ME

wonderwoman

May 1, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgivens] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgivens wrote:
I have tried taking a rope in my carry-on luggage, and had to remove it at the security check. Luckily they bagged it and checked it for me, and there were no problems.

For years I had taken my rope bag on as carry-on. Got stopped going from Canada back to the states. I think it depends on who is doing security that day. I questioned the guy about it, and then he threatened to make me check my purse, too. Real nice guy. Crazy

Going from the states to Canada, Air Canada managed to lose our back pack with our clothes (we got it day 2 but it was a hassle) but we got our gear and luckily our tent. They also managed to put a big crack in Josh's helmet.

They told us they would reimburse us $50 for the inconvenience of losing our bag in the means of food or clothing. Then they proceeded to decline to reimburse us a single penny for food, clothing or even damage to Josh's helmet.

So, I guess I'm trying to say is DON'T TRUST YOUR GEAR WITH AIR CANADA!!! I've never had any problems aside from this one trip.

rmueller

May 1, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flew last November from Salt Lake to St. Louis and had my rack in the carry on. It got a good inspection. Then a call to a supervisor. Luckily the higher up looked at me and my wife and said that she wasn't sure if it was allowed but to go ahead. I've checked it ever since. Who needs the delay and stares at security.

granite_grrl

May 1, 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
So, I guess I'm trying to say is DON'T TRUST YOUR GEAR WITH AIR CANADA!!!

Yup, you have it figured it out. After the dubakle they put us through last xmas getting home (Only Nova Scotia to Ontario) my husband and I have decided never to give them our buisness if we have an alternative. Air Canada has a near monopoly for a lot of destinations here in Canada and they treat their passengers like shit.

markc

May 1, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #14 of 14 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Flying with gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
For years I had taken my rope bag on as carry-on. Got stopped going from Canada back to the states. I think it depends on who is doing security that day. I questioned the guy about it, and then he threatened to make me check my purse, too. Real nice guy. Crazy

Going from the states to Canada, Air Canada managed to lose our back pack with our clothes (we got it day 2 but it was a hassle) but we got our gear and luckily our tent. They also managed to put a big crack in Josh's helmet.

They told us they would reimburse us $50 for the inconvenience of losing our bag in the means of food or clothing. Then they proceeded to decline to reimburse us a single penny for food, clothing or even damage to Josh's helmet.

So, I guess I'm trying to say is DON'T TRUST YOUR GEAR WITH AIR CANADA!!! I've never had any problems aside from this one trip.

I've always checked my climbing gear for fear of getting held up in screening or needing to get it checked at the last minute. I agree that it seems to depend on the screener you get, even if an item isn't technically prohibited by TSA. I'd rather not have the stress.

I always throw a climbing magazine or book in the top of my pack when traveling with gear. I figure it will make a good visual aid if I ever need to explain what I'm carrying. I label chalk, as well, but that's probably going a bit far.

I've only flown Air Canada once, and it was no problem. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them. A new helmet isn't cheap. I try to pad everything I check, wrap the rack in clothing or towels, etc. The handlers don't have any qualms about tossing bags around.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook