No comment. 5 / 10%
48 total votes

desertdude420

May 25, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #26 of 56 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm sponsored by Fortress Watches (for skiing, not climbing). I gotta say that they are sweeter than the Timex's I was wearing before.

enchanted

May 25, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #27 of 56 (1338 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine has been really good. Timex Ironman watches only last me a year max. The Fortress I have is going strong two years later.

saphius

May 25, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #28 of 56 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enchanted] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was looking into getting one. Then I noticed there are sexy watches with barometers and altimeters by other companies.

Ooo.

Partner j_ung

Jun 4, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #29 of 56 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saphius] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, still nothing from Fortress, so I went ahead and dialed the number on the Contact Us page of their website. I got a recording with extension options and an "I'm sorry, this number is not in service" message when I try to select any of them. So far, not so good. Fortress is on it's way to a failing grade in customer service.

Next up, I'll speak with a friend who owns a retail shop and get the sales rep's info. I'll be back with more...

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jun 4, 2007, 6:47 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #30 of 56 (1272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertdude420 wrote:
I'm sponsored by Fortress Watches (for skiing, not climbing). I gotta say that they are sweeter than the Timex's I was wearing before.

So do you have some contact information for them? Even just a sales rep? My friend said he hasn't been contacted by a Fortress rep for some time and questions whether or not they're even still in business. Pretty pissed at Fortress right now. Mad

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jun 6, 2007, 1:10 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #31 of 56 (1258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I dug deep to find a name of their CEO: Andy, and his email address. I sent this email:

In reply to:
Andy,

I'm a Fortress Watch owner with a warranty problem. To boot, it appears to be impossible to contact anybody at your company. The phone line states that all extensions are out of service and your website's contact form yields no response. I like my Fortress watch, but my patience is almost gone. Please put me in touch with your customer service team.

Thank you,
Jay Young

I got this auto response instantly:

In reply to:
IMPORTANT.....PLEASE READ!!!!

Andy Palmer no longer works for Fortress and emails sent to this address will not be answered. If you wish to contact him please email GRIPUSA02@hotmail.com If you are trying to contact Fortress please get in touch with ROBERT O'DONNELL AT 760 918 9113 OR robert@fortressworldwide.com

I sent a similar email to Robert. I would have called, but I think they're in Cali, which means their office is almost certainly not open yet. If I don't hear back by noon my time, I'll call.

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2007, 1:48 PM
Post #32 of 56 (1252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fucking ridiculous. I got another auto response stating something that's probably to personal to post here. (Fortress may not have any fucking class, but I do.) The latest auto response directed me to a colleague's phone number (and even gave out his wife's cell). Fuck noon. I'm calling now.

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2007, 1:52 PM
Post #33 of 56 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Left a polite message. I don't really expect to hear back, though. We'll see.

carabiner96

Jun 6, 2007, 2:07 PM
Post #34 of 56 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, did you try going through the store that you bought it at? We get people bringing bonk watches in all the time at the shop, and we contact and send them out to the compay for them. Likely, it would be Fortresses parent company they'd go through. Try your local fortress carrier and they should have all of the updated contact info.

Partner j_ung

Jun 6, 2007, 2:09 PM
Post #35 of 56 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Jay, did you try going through the store that you bought it at? We get people bringing bonk watches in all the time at the shop, and we contact and send them out to the compay for them. Likely, it would be Fortresses parent company they'd go through. Try your local fortress carrier and they should have all of the updated contact info.

Thanks, biner, but that was the friend I called day before yesterday who thinks they might be out of business.

on_belay_hombre

Jun 6, 2007, 3:09 PM
Post #36 of 56 (1221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saphius] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got one for $30 from Mountain Gear. It can be seen in the posted video: How We Operate here on RC.com!

So far its been awesome. I would hope they're not out of business but it might explain why they are all on sale really cheap these days...

Partner macherry

Jun 6, 2007, 9:46 PM
Post #37 of 56 (1203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

Thanks, biner, but that was the friend I called day before yesterday who thinks they might be out of business.

that's probably why the watches are always on steep and cheap. If they are in business, nothing like shitty customer service. Jay give backcountry.com a call, they might be able to tell you if the company is in business or not. They helped me with questions about moonstone a while back.

FWIW, i wear a highgear watch. some people bad mouth the watches, and recommend suunto over them, but when the o ring went on the watch they sent me a new watch within the week.

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #38 of 56 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Marge, however...

Update: via a convoluted stream of auto responses and inferences, I managed to find and contact the Fortress customer service guy. His name is Colin. Colin assures me that if I just send the watch in to him, he'll get me a new one ASAP; probably send it out within 24 hours of receipt of the old watch.

To be completely honest, I haven't decided to do this yet. The watch still works, it just has some moisture in it. And I'm a little worried that, if I send it in, I'll never hear from Fortress again.

WWRC.cD?

(What would RC.com do?)

svilnit

Jun 7, 2007, 1:13 PM
Post #39 of 56 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Thanks, Marge, however...

Update: via a convoluted stream of auto responses and inferences, I managed to find and contact the Fortress customer service guy. His name is Colin. Colin assures me that if I just send the watch in to him, he'll get me a new one ASAP; probably send it out within 24 hours of receipt of the old watch.

To be completely honest, I haven't decided to do this yet. The watch still works, it just has some moisture in it. And I'm a little worried that, if I send it in, I'll never hear from Fortress again.

WWRC.cD?

(What would RC.com do?)

You had this much trouble just getting ahold of a live body there to give you an answer. Just imagine the issues you are going to have if they decide to say "what watch?" when you call up to find where your replacement is.

markc

Jun 7, 2007, 1:23 PM
Post #40 of 56 (1155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tough call on sending the watch in. If the casing lets in moisture, how long will it be before that impacts the internal components? Will you get everything you want out of the watch considering it's not water-tight? On the flip side, what's the likelihood of your customer service experience doing a 180 and them getting it right?

Do you have this guy's direct line and email? Can you specifically get in touch with him since he's the one making promises? I might risk it in that case, but I guess I'm a bit of an optimist.

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2007, 1:31 PM
Post #41 of 56 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have his direct phone number. And the CEO's wife's cell. Heh.

sterlingjim

Jun 7, 2007, 1:33 PM
Post #42 of 56 (1141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just curious, is there something about these watches that make them climber specific? Is there some functionality about these things I'm missing? Seems to me they are just jewelry that keeps time... if they are working.

automated

Jun 7, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #43 of 56 (1136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i like the idea of marketing heavy, easily-scratched metal watches to people who take their shirts off to save weight during the send and who thrash around on sharp rocks all day. i can just see some gumby carrying a little pouch to keep it clean when it's in his pack at the crag.

joe kinder has one? i'll take three.

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2007, 1:38 PM
Post #44 of 56 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, nothing climber specific. I just wanted something a bit beefier than the cheapo watches I was buying, so I paid a little more for this one. Fortress advertises their watches as tough and durable. Turns out I didn't get what I paid for. And actually, it was a particularly cold day on the river that did the damage. Not climbing at all.

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #45 of 56 (1130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [automated] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

automated wrote:
i like the idea of marketing heavy, easily-scratched metal watches to people who take their shirts off to save weight during the send and who thrash around on sharp rocks all day. i can just see some gumby carrying a little pouch to keep it clean when it's in his pack at the crag.

joe kinder has one? i'll take three.

I've always tried to remember to take my watches off when I climb. But climbing isn't the only sport I participate in. I also snowboard, paddle, cave, trail run and amble about town, none of which really requires me to shave ounces.

skinner

Jun 7, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #46 of 56 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boku] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

boku wrote:
My cellphone displays the time, so I don't see the need to carry another doohickey around just to keep track of temporal coordinates.

My watch battery is good for 2 years, my cellphone battery lasts about..

If you are going to get a watch *for climbing*..
why not get one that does something?

Interactive Flash Demo of Functions

climbinwv

Jun 7, 2007, 1:44 PM
Post #47 of 56 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only have one thing in my life that has never let me down...my old trusty swiss army knife...they make watches too...get one of them!!!!!

chossmonkey

Jun 7, 2007, 1:57 PM
Post #48 of 56 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

WWRC.cD?

(What would RC.com do?)
Make a poll!!!!

chossmonkey

Jun 7, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #49 of 56 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I have his direct phone number. And the CEO's wife's cell. Heh.

Buy the sound of it this company is also run out his moms house. Honestly, his wife's cell!!

chossmonkey

Jun 7, 2007, 2:04 PM
Post #50 of 56 (1104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinner] Does anyone own a fortress watch? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skinner wrote:
boku wrote:
My cellphone displays the time, so I don't see the need to carry another doohickey around just to keep track of temporal coordinates.

My watch battery is good for 2 years, my cellphone battery lasts about..
Not to mention most phones need to have service to show the time. I've found trying to use a cell to tell time is far from reliable.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook