RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Paul_Y

May 30, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo,
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is one of a series of images I captured this last weekend using Phil Box's rigging technique, it allows you to get out from the rock. I also used off-camera flash. I have a picture of me using the rigging if anyone is interested.

This climb was special because it was my wife's first outdoor lead. Face climbing on beautiful sandstone.

If the photo looks pixelated, click on it to open in a new window where it can be clicked on again to be viewed normal size.

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on May 30, 2007, 1:13 PM)

hrtmnstrfr

May 30, 2007, 5:00 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would like to see the rigging picture.

Paul_Y

May 30, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hrtmnstrfr] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok hrtmnstrfr here it is:

I'm basically attached by two ropes. The topmost rope is a static line (to reduce stretch) attached to anchors at the top of the cliff and at the bottom of the cliff it's attached to a tree trunk about 30 feet from the base of the cliff. I'm attached to that rope by a pulley and another length of rope that runs thru a gri-gri on my harness.

You can see the light colored rope that I am jugging on just above the profile of the cliff. To get away from the cliff I jug up the light colored rope and then pull the pulley rope thru the gri-gri.

The pole I am holding is a lightweight painter's pole and has my flash on the end of it. You can see the pocketWizard trigger on top of my camera. The receiving pocketWizard is next to the flash. This got pretty heavy after a while. The next time I do this I will just use a sync cable from the flash to the camera. Much lighter. And I will try to make an external battery pack to power the flash. I'll attach that battery pack down by my wrist or on my harness to get even more weight off the end of the pole.

The line you see running off the flash is my safety line in case of fumble fingers.

You can see from this shot that I am much further out near the base of the cliff. Next time I'll try to find a tree further out and I'll try to climb up the tree to set my bottom anchor to get more distance from the cliff when I'm higher up on the climb.

Oh, and thanks to you and Phil Box for giving me ideas to improve my climbing photography!

hrtmnstrfr

May 30, 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great job! The hassle of hauling that flash up there paid off!

Partner philbox

May 31, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #5 of 10 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hrtmnstrfr] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooooh, nice rigging setup. You could also try to rig the rope up via a tree at the top of the cliff as well to try to get yourself out even further from the wall. I've now got some 5mm very low stretch sailing rope for my trolley line. I double that up so that I can retrieve it easily from the anchor at the top. I think the key for the trolley line is to get as low stretch as possible.

Get the anchor as high as possible and as far out at the bottom as possible. I also suggest a second rap line so that you can easily alter angles. You'll be surprised how well you can work angles using this method. Many times what I think is a great angle looking up from the bottom of the cliff turns out to be crap when on rope. You then have to faff around changing setups to accomodate the reality that has presented itself to you.

Often I will take the pics home and put them on the big screen and think to myself if only I had altered the setup just so that I could get that in. Of course we have all taken pics that show up imperfections when viewed on the big screen like a knee of the photographer when taking wide shots. I would love a virtual darkroom on site for instantaneous feedback so that I can adjust what I do. Those little LCD screens on the back of the camera just don't do justice to the large image.

I like the boom you have for your flash.

sonyhome

May 31, 2007, 7:57 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy cow!

Reading the title I was going, yeah, Mt Diablo... can't be that exiting a pic... Then I look at it and wow! it's a very nice clean angle.

So I assume you anchored on the right of the climb and did a good job of contorting out... Then I see the rigging you used, and I don't think I'll ever go to that extreme.

Hats off for the photographic dedication!

Paul_Y

Jun 1, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonyhome] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Sonyhome, I have to confess I didn't see the beauty of the sandstone on Amazing Face until I got home and saw the pictures. This next picture shows what I'm talking about. Look at all the tonal variations by the quick draw, and I never before noticed the dike striations behind and below Margaret. Reminiscent of Lover's Leap. I'll never look at this "plain" looking cliff the same way again!

And thanks Phil. I'm going to reread an earlier post you made about that two jugging lines technique you have. I still have some questions that the earlier post may answer.

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on Jun 1, 2007, 1:51 AM)

Paul_Y

Jun 6, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Philbox,
How do you attach yourself to that 2nd rap line? I'm having trouble picturing it.
Thanks!

Oh and since you mention "virtual darkroom", here's a link to a DYI "virtual darkroom" briefcase for those who want to bring a laptop on site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QHSpNNv7co

(This post was edited by Paul_Y on Jun 6, 2007, 10:29 PM)

stymingersfink

Jul 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Paul_Y wrote:
Philbox,
How do you attach yourself to that 2nd rap line? I'm having trouble picturing it.
Thanks!

Oh and since you mention "virtual darkroom", here's a link to a DYI "virtual darkroom" briefcase for those who want to bring a laptop on site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QHSpNNv7co

why, a second grigri, of course!

uptick

Jul 19, 2007, 4:26 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Margaret sending Amazing Face, Mt. Diablo, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...an ATC with an auto blocker hooked to a leg loop?

Oh great. Now everybody's going to be doing it...there goes the novelty....

ME FIRST, ME FIRST!!!!! hahaha....

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook