RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

winkwinklambonini

Sep 28, 2002, 1:37 AM
Post #1 of 2 (982 views)
Shortcut

Cool stories
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's been awhile since i've been on a mountain. But reading some of these threads has rekindled some memories. Here's one of my best:

I was in Mexico climbing Ixta then Orizaba(Popo was erupting). While on the Ixta, a wild dog stole my buddy's crampon! He tried to find another before going on to Orizaba, but couldn't.

The summit was incredibe, so much so that I fell asleep, at almost 19,000'! On the long way down the long snowfield there was a section of ice. The field was about 30 degrees and rose about 2 thousand feet from a relatively flat section. We were about halfway down. A few minutes after passing the worst part, I heard a scream, and turned around. The same guy who had climbed the mountain with one crampon had slipped, and he was coming straight toward me. As he picked up speed his axes became more of a danger than a help, so he ditched them. He was headed for flatter ground anyway. I had to take a few steps to get out of his was, as he was going about thirty mph and I wasn't about to try it.

About 500' later he came to rest, completely limp. "Oh shit, we're at 16,000, and we have to carry him down to 14,000 then what?" this was going through my head as I descended toward him. I yelled to him for a couple of minutes, with no response. It wasn't until about 50' to go when he finally moved and sat up, still not responding though. He looked down and grabbed what I though was his leg, then started screaming again"Nooooo! AAhhhhhh!!!!!!". Oh shit, he's definatly hurt!

As I get closer, I see what he's holding: his camera. "My camera broke, and the whole roll is ruined!!!!!!". "Are you OK?" I responded. "What, oh yeah, I'm fine."

Asshole

topher

Sep 28, 2002, 1:46 AM
Post #2 of 2 (982 views)
Shortcut

Cool stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

why that sounds like some thing i would end up doing. when teaching a friend to do self rescue on ice, just up at a near by glacier in the summer a similar thing happend to him. but he didnt go as fare. nice storie though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook