Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

gambler

Jul 16, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #26 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chuck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Chongo......self proclaimed slowest wall climber and the king of the big wall hitchhikers !!!!!

megableem

Jul 17, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #27 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tigerbythetail

Jul 17, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #28 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cgranite

Jul 17, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #29 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That pack he carries weighs like 80 pounds and that's not counting his laptop and shoulder pack.
I over heard him saying that he was going to write some children books. I will be interested to read that.

What would a Chongo children’s book be like?

...so the Hair is actually going slower than the Tortes...
:lol:

areyoumydude

Jul 17, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #30 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He's your best friend if you have a sack of weed. :lol: :lol: No really he puts the dirt in dirt bag. Chongo is a living legend.... cough cough.

far_east_climber

Jul 18, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #31 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about when he was a kid/teenager? where'd he live then? what'd he do?

bvb

Jul 20, 2004, 4:07 PM
Post #32 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="tigerbythetail"]
In reply to:
There's an old cartoon from Mountain Magazine that has them and Dick Cilley in it. The Chango Bros are living in a totally wrecked campsite and then the Park Service detonates a nuke to clear the site; Dick C. is lurking in the shadows trying to sell some gear.

that was a hysterical cartoon strip. don't remember the issue number, but it appeared in one of the 1986 issues of rock and ice -- just after spring break -- prolly the june/july issue.

watusi

Jul 21, 2004, 4:52 AM
Post #33 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah the unnamed other chongo bro was Mick, and I lived with Chuck, Dave and Rich for many seasons at the crags and it was Chuck who brought his brothers out to Josh to learn to climb with me!

dee

Aug 17, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #34 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Watusi, I was having a hard time remembering Rich although I climbed with him more than once.

devin

Oct 22, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #35 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chongo you are my heroooooo! wooo

organic

Oct 22, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #36 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read part of chongo's book on quantum physics some of the stuff is good some of the stuff he smoked copious amounts of weed during. Some of the stuff he writes about is flawed though but I do not think most people buy it for knowledge they buy the books to give him an income! Long live the chongo!

justsendingits

Mar 2, 2005, 9:58 AM
Post #37 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have heard of him, real hardcore climber, real stinky hippie. Sounds like a cool bloque. I found a years-old gear cache under El Cap last spring, most of the stuff was way-past too rotten and old to use, but a few of the cams and biners looked decent, so I nabbed them. I brought them home and examined them closely and there was the name "CHONGO" etched into them. Thanks buddy. Sorry if I harked your stash, but it was so damn old (and didn't you recently get in some trouble over those stashes anyways?)

There are other stashes that I have found over the years but I always left them because they were not mine!!

At least you are honest!! Props for that!!

Chuck is a lot of fun!!!

I left the valley in late July and there was some ranger tooling him, takeing pictures of him and stuff. Then on my last day there(sunday) there was Chuck and Link having it out during the free Coffee.

I think Chuck like all of us gets tooled from time to time.
Couldn't believe that Lincon was giving him a hard time about living in the park though.

I like them both!!

fatman

Mar 8, 2005, 4:02 AM
Post #38 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cgranite,

He did write a children's book, or at least some drafts of one. Chongonation is down so I don't know if he's selling it yet. I can't remember the whole story, but it's not exactly bedtime material. Something about a fight between a baboon and a lion where everyone dies.

anyways, i'm sure he'll show it to you when you're there this year

lifelong

Mar 8, 2005, 1:27 PM
Post #39 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Chongo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I didn't do more than nod and smile at Chongo, I can affirm that he was still in the Valley in August of '04 riding his bike and generally living the life of a classic dirtbag.

Not a bad thing IMO.

jtt

Mar 12, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #40 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it called "Enter the Wild Dog" or was that something else he wrote?

I found him generally likable, but somewhat intimidating. Probably because he found out I was from Alabama and automatically tagged me as a card-carrying Republican with a W sticker on my climbing helmet and my Nalgene (which is not true). Yeah, you might not want to mention that you are from the South.

Saw him slack line a few times. He's very confortable on it, but not really in shape anymore.

jtt

naw

Mar 13, 2005, 12:40 AM
Post #41 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
And, there is one last yet very important thing that you and anyone else that your decisions may affect should consider. How bitchin’ you might be (or better stated, how bitchin’ you might imagine yourself being, however accurate or inaccurate your conclusion) has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you will be the unfortunate fool who dies, or spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair, or simply ends up ‘existing’, drooling in a bed all day long, staring blankly into space. Nature does not care in the least, whether you are bitchin’ or are not bitchin’, any more than it cares if you live or if you die (because the bitchin’ die, no less than the unbitchin’ do – nature is fair in questions of death). Understand this: it’s hard to be bitchin’ when you’re dead, permanently crippled, or in a bed drooling, staring into space, which are all very real possibilities, when you climb.

That's pretty damn funny.

cgranite

Mar 13, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #42 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
cgranite,

He did write a children's book, or at least some drafts of one. Chongonation is down so I don't know if he's selling it yet. I can't remember the whole story, but it's not exactly bedtime material. Something about a fight between a baboon and a lion where everyone dies.

anyways, i'm sure he'll show it to you when you're there this year

I'm sure he will. One day I sat for what seemed like hours listening to him ramble on about quantum mechanics and relativity at his table in the lodge. I'll never forget the way he just stares into your eyes, while he periodically eats his gathered fries. Not my idea of good rest day especially when he convinced my friend and I to carry his stuff back to camp. It's not a long ways, but it sure felt far with all that wait.

stymingersfink

Mar 13, 2005, 8:33 PM
Post #43 of 50 (20641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
And, there is one last yet very important thing that you and anyone else that your decisions may affect should consider. How b----’ you might be (or better stated, how b----’ you might imagine yourself being, however accurate or inaccurate your conclusion) has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you will be the unfortunate fool who dies, or spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair, or simply ends up ‘existing’, drooling in a bed all day long, staring blankly into space. Nature does not care in the least, whether you are b----’ or are not b----’, any more than it cares if you live or if you die (because the b----’ die, no less than the b----’ do – nature is fair in questions of death). Understand this: it’s hard to be b----’ when you’re dead, permanently crippled, or in a bed drooling, staring into space, which are all very real possibilities, when you climb.

That's pretty damn funny.

That's pretty damn true, and funny too.

I would be tempeted to substitute "when you live." for chongo's "when you climb.", cause in reality, life is dangerous enough simply by living it. Sadly enough not everyone lives it.

lordcaffeine

Jun 21, 2007, 1:05 PM
Post #44 of 50 (9518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Chuck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

His two brothers were way cooler!
Chongo Dave and XXX? used to hang in josh back in the 80s. Chuck would come up from Mexico full of stories about living like a king down south. The Chongo name was the brother's name brand resole rubber. We always thought the dude was full of shit. He couldn't get laid in a whore house with hundred dollar bills hanging out of his pockets. I am personally appalled that he has become some sort of cult figure! I heard through the grape vine that Chongo Dave died. Is it true? RIP if that is a fact.

yanqui

Jun 22, 2007, 3:11 PM
Post #45 of 50 (9437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgill] Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgill wrote:
Has anyone here read Chongo's book on quantum physics?

I have a copy that Jose left for me with some local climbers when he was in Patagonia years ago. I tried reading it through a couple of times, but never finished. Let's just say it's not your typical textbook and it might frustrate some readers who look for a certain mathematical precision. I keep it more for the note Jose left me inside than for any help it gave me at understanding quantum physics. By the way, Jose did study quite a bit of mathematics and some physics, but I'm not sure exactly what hand he had in the book's content.

Tim

(This post was edited by yanqui on Jun 22, 2007, 3:23 PM)

wallrat

May 17, 2009, 2:43 AM
Post #46 of 50 (8018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [micahmcguire] Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In the 80's and early 90's I was one of the wintertime JTree regulars, and knew the Chongo brothers pretty well. As well as I remember, they were just 'the Chongo Brothers', and noone claimed to be the first or primary chongo. Yep, they sewed and sold climbing pants in wild patterns the Germans loved. Also some crappy fleece jackets. Noone loved them. They also had a treadle sewing machine there under a boulder in a campsite that is now closed. They climbed, but not a lot, and on ropes that I wouldn't tie my dog up to. I'm telling you, they were nothing but rotten sheath and a few cords. You could pinch it between your fingers and feel them touch through the rope! Dave was around more than Chuck...and more likable to me anyway. Anyway, they sort of dropped out of sight after about 1993 or 1994. Anyone have any info on Dave?

oldandintheway

Jun 6, 2009, 6:12 AM
Post #47 of 50 (7882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatman] Chuck [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He's a punk that couldn't climb out of a flatland bivy without a guidebook. Cool

roadstead

Sep 23, 2009, 5:52 PM
Post #48 of 50 (7597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moeman] Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.nytimes.com/...30-CHONGO_index.html

A lot of press in the New York Times for someone called a dirtbag.Smile

dreday3000

Sep 23, 2009, 9:32 PM
Post #49 of 50 (7562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roadstead] Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some dude living under an overpass.

subantz

Nov 27, 2009, 6:13 AM
Post #50 of 50 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roadstead] Who is Chongo? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesying article along with the link.
I want to be a climbing bum!
Long live the CHONGO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook