Premier Sponsor:

Partner gunksgoer

Jun 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #1 of 8 (363 views)
Shortcut

Laptops on Road Trips...
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, sometime around the 4th jerseyclimber and I are headed off across the country, mainly to the ditch. Its a full blown 2 month roadtrip, mostly living out of the car. I know Ill need to bring my laptop with me to do a bunch of stuff which means leaving it in the car for extended periods of time (we're gettin on walls). I dont want my computer to melt away while it sits on the valley floor for days at a time, so i was wondering if anybodys got some suggestions or experience in traveling with laptops.

I have a neoprene padded case that I keep it in. Usually if I need to leave it in the car for the afternoon i put it in the case and the whole deal goes in the shade under a seat so its fine. Yosemite gets way hotter and Im uneasy about only doing that. I have a space blanket to put around the case (reflective side out, still going under the seat) and I figured I could crack the windows a little. Im not sure If this will be adequate though, the manual strongly cautions about storage in over 113 degrees. Any internet advice for being on the go would help too, so far ive only heard of one hotspot in the valley. k peace

organic

Jul 1, 2007, 1:01 AM
Post #2 of 8 (348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunksgoer] Laptops on Road Trips... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunksgoer wrote:
So, sometime around the 4th jerseyclimber and I are headed off across the country, mainly to the ditch. Its a full blown 2 month roadtrip, mostly living out of the car. I know Ill need to bring my laptop with me to do a bunch of stuff which means leaving it in the car for extended periods of time (we're gettin on walls). I dont want my computer to melt away while it sits on the valley floor for days at a time, so i was wondering if anybodys got some suggestions or experience in traveling with laptops.

I have a neoprene padded case that I keep it in. Usually if I need to leave it in the car for the afternoon i put it in the case and the whole deal goes in the shade under a seat so its fine. Yosemite gets way hotter and Im uneasy about only doing that. I have a space blanket to put around the case (reflective side out, still going under the seat) and I figured I could crack the windows a little. Im not sure If this will be adequate though, the manual strongly cautions about storage in over 113 degrees. Any internet advice for being on the go would help too, so far ive only heard of one hotspot in the valley. k peace

My advice is don't be a baby and aid climbing is for fatties.

coastal_climber

Jul 1, 2007, 3:20 AM
Post #3 of 8 (342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [organic] Laptops on Road Trips... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this: http://images.google.ca/...0%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX

>Cam

Partner gunksgoer

Jul 1, 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #4 of 8 (334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Laptops on Road Trips... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats only for when its in use, and I really dont feel like frying my $1800 computer. Whatever, case + space blanket it is.

You guys are no help Mad

wes_allen

Jul 1, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #5 of 8 (319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never had trouble with heat, but you might think about something like this:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

It won't stop someone who is really motivated and has time, but it will provide another layer of security for your stuff.

clausti

Jul 1, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #6 of 8 (311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy a small cooler. put the laptop in the dry, empy cooler. wrap the space blanket around the cooler.

if the cooler is cool when you close it, your lappy should be fine for days and days.

disclaimer: i've never done that, though i think it'd work. in the summer, my lappy just stayed in its normal bag, in between bins, under a crash pad, and even just the crash pad covering insulates it a lot.

see also: if you're jsut going to be gone for the day, cover the laptop bag in your sleeping bag/puffy jacket.

all you want to do is insulate. i'm sure you already own many insulatory things.

Partner j_ung

Jul 3, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #7 of 8 (256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Laptops on Road Trips... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
insulatory

Is that a real word? Tongue

Regardless, I agree. Wrap it up nicely in the morning, when it's still cool. Insulate the hell out of it. I think it'll be fine.

beyond_gravity

Jul 6, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #8 of 8 (218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Laptops on Road Trips... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bring it on the wall with you and get a satalite internet reciever. That was you can get e-beta while on the wall. You can also scan in the guidebook...Paper is infinately heavier then a word document.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook