RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

treyfrancisclimbs

Jul 10, 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #1 of 6 (844 views)
Shortcut

Cardio Curious
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in need of some ideas of how to do anything cardio-ish in my present state. Let me explain.

In early Febuary I had a foothold break about 10 feet up which deposited me rather hastily on the ground, my right foot missing the crash pads. Type 3 sprain, wore a brace, never got better. I just had my ankle rebuilt via reattaching tendons and ligaments, as well as some new holes drilled in the bones.

So here I am in a cast and unable to put weight on the foot for a few weeks, then only able to have a walking boot which will no doubt limit my ability to do high impact cardio. The question I have is does anyone have any methods they have used to stay in shape and avoid fattening while not being able to walk?

Any help will be appreciated.

OutrdJunkie

Jul 10, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [treyfrancisclimbs] Cardio Curious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're close to water, kayaking is a good work out, granted that you actually paddle not float. And it's a good way to keep up that upper body muscle.

el_layclimber

Jul 10, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you be in a swimming pool? Swimming is an excellent workout, and if you can't swim, water jogging looks lame, but is also great for cardio.

brokenankle

Jul 10, 2007, 6:31 PM
Post #4 of 6 (826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OutrdJunkie] Cardio Curious [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can get access to one, a rowing machine is a great low impact cardio workout.

aerili

Jul 11, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 6 (778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good suggestions by all.

Also consider an upper body ergometer--it won't burn as many calories as cardio involving your legs, but it's still great exercise.

Also, peddling on the bike with one leg: there is evidence that working the non-injured limb has "transference" properties to the injured limb--i.e. peddling with your good leg will help your injured leg stay in better shape. It sounds crazy, but it's a neural-integration thing going on. Actually, it works best with strength training (more so than aerobic training), but peddling will still maintain certain levels of muscular endurance in your leg.

Here is a tiny snip of an article about this kind of exercise prescription from the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:

Patients often are interested in using their noninjured extremities for functional activities that allow them to remain in condition and retain some skill practice. For instance, Thomas Muster, the Austrian professional tennis player, underwent significant lower extremity surgery after a motor vehicle accident in the spring of 1989, but within weeks he returned to the tennis court, playing in a wheelchair. By doing so, he was able to maintain some aerobic and anaerobic fitness, practice his motor skills, and use his time productively. That training was combined with clinic-based physical therapy, and Muster returned to competition much more rapidly than had originally been anticipated.

(This post was edited by aerili on Jul 12, 2007, 7:16 PM)

antigravity

Jul 22, 2007, 5:32 AM
Post #6 of 6 (684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck with the ankle. In the meantime, swimming is great cardio. But you might want to check with your doctor to see if it is ok to kick. Also, if you are on crutches, crutching around is a great workout as well. The only time I ever had a six pack was when I was on crutches for 10.5 months. Crutch around the block, or if that is too easy, crutch up a hill. Whatever you do, don't sit on the couch eating comfort food because you are bumbed about being stuck on the couch.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook