RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kinz

Jul 10, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 13 (778 views)
Shortcut

Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I need some advice... i have a week in August to do whatever i want. I decided I need to learn how to surf. My question for everyone is... Where should I go in California to partake in some good beginner breaks and some stellar bouldering at the same time? I have family in Monterrey but I'm not limiting myself to that. Ideally, I would like to hit some place with free camping. If anyone knows of a spot or wants to play tourguide for a day please respond or msg me. I'd appreciate it a bunch.

shimanilami

Jul 10, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #2 of 13 (757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kinz] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Santa Cruz (Cowell's beach is a good beginner break) has better surfing than Monterey and, presuming you'll have a car, you can head up the road to Castle Rock State Park (me and Sharma's home haunt) for good sandstone bouldering. Both places are within an hour or so of Monterey, so you could still stay with your family and save some dough.

By the way, Larry at Mountaintools.com lives in Carmel and has offered numerous times to show me some sweet (?) bouldering down there (right next to Monterey). You may want to give him a call to see if he can hook you up.

toohigh

Jul 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #3 of 13 (714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kinz,

I grew up in the area and know of some stuff around. However I live in Oregon now, otherwise I could play tour guide. Short suggestions:

Surfing- Asilomar state beach, carmel state beach, lovers point, pier 2, stuff in Pebble Beach, and lots of local stuff in between. Also of course across the bay
there is santa cruz. I dont know anything about surfing over there except for the pleasure point area. I didnt surf growing up so what I know I have gathered from my high school surfing friends. (reliable sources).

Climbing- Lovers Point has good bouldering. Sanctuary Rock Gym in Sand City is good and can help you with some climbing destinations. There are also places to climb in Big Sur, which I would recommend for a day trip at least. Beautiful if you have never been. Like the other guy said, if you call up mountain tools sometimes they can give you information. Also near by is Pinnacles National Monument which offers trad and some sport routes. Across the bay in Santa Cruz there is castle rock state park and also another rock gym, (the edge).

If you have any other questions let me know, i will try my best to answer them.

-john

p.s. you probably want to travel around more than just the monterey bay. however, you could easily fill a weeks worth of activities just on the monterey bay. might want to try some sea kayaking!

(This post was edited by toohigh on Jul 10, 2007, 10:35 PM)

Bigd

Jul 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #4 of 13 (698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Problem is there is no surf in Santa Cruz in Aug. Surf in San Diego area, and boulder in Mt. Woodsen. Also, the water here is warmer than Santa Cruz-you won't even need a wetsuit here. The water is freezing in Nocal.

jdouble

Jul 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #5 of 13 (696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Might want to look for climbing first, waves secondary. As a beginning surfer, you will be good to go at a wide variety of surf venues. Climbing might be a bit more difficult to 'get your thing on'.

Santa Cruz is a safe bet.

(This post was edited by jdouble on Jul 10, 2007, 10:56 PM)

shu

Jul 11, 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #6 of 13 (667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't already surf you shouldn't start. It's way too crowded already in CA, and it's not even worth it. It's not that much fun.

Stick to Climbing, the crowds are much less, and there are way more good days to climb every year.

PLEASE don't surf!

toohigh

Jul 11, 2007, 7:15 AM
Post #7 of 13 (638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shu wrote:
If you don't already surf you shouldn't start. It's way too crowded already in CA, and it's not even worth it. It's not that much fun.

Stick to Climbing, the crowds are much less, and there are way more good days to climb every year.

PLEASE don't surf!

what a downer! dont listen to this guy! you gotta start somewhere and california is an excellent place!

-john

cole22

Jul 11, 2007, 9:07 AM
Post #8 of 13 (623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toohigh] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

since no one has said it yet I will. Santa Barbara home boy. Perfect beginner break at an area called Mondos, ask the locals when you get here, and beautiful bouldering all over the place. Not to mention good sport and trad all within the area. just look it up on this site, trust me the area is spectacular for what your looking for.

trenchdigger

Jul 11, 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #9 of 13 (596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bigd] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bigd wrote:
Problem is there is no surf in Santa Cruz in Aug. Surf in San Diego area, and boulder in Mt. Woodsen. Also, the water here is warmer than Santa Cruz-you won't even need a wetsuit here. The water is freezing in Nocal.
The surf may be small and water cold in Santa Cruz in August, but Mt Woodson will likely be over 100 degrees. Weather-wise, Santa Cruz is a much better option. Unless you just want to surf, don't come to San Diego to climb in August.

eastvillage

Jul 11, 2007, 1:16 PM
Post #10 of 13 (583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shu] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shu wrote:

PLEASE don't surf!
Obviously written by an avid surfer!

drljefe

Jul 11, 2007, 3:49 PM
Post #11 of 13 (562 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Waves, stellar bouldering AND free camping?! In August? In California? Good luck brah.

kinz

Jul 11, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #12 of 13 (529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drljefe] Climbin/ Surfing Destinations in Cali [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the feedback guys! from all the feedback it seems like santa cruz is the plan at this point. where is the best place to hook up with other climbers or get beta in the area?

valygrl

Jul 12, 2007, 4:54 AM
Post #13 of 13 (497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Santa Cruz, Pacific Edge climbing gym is the place to hook up w/local beta & maybe a partner. It's right next to the yacht harbor & across the street from the Seabright Brewery.

I lived in SC for years, and I gotta say, SC in August is not such a great idea for either surfing or climbing. Pinnacles is the nearest sorta-good spot, hour & a half, and is unclimbably hot. If you like bouldering, Castle Rock is a mecca (45 minutes), and Panther Beach is supposed to be OK - a few miles from town. But for roped climbing go to Tuolumne, or the Needles if you are a good crack climber.

And as you have already been informed, the SC surfing scene is f'ugly. Really competative, unfriendly and aggressive. People get in fights in the water all the time. (I don't surf, but I dated a surfer.)

Of course, if you are into CYCLING, road or mountain, SC in Aug. is perfect.

Otherwise, it might be that Santa Barbara might be a better bet. I have visted there a bit, but only ridden bikes. It's a really nice (although expensive) place, awesome beach, seems like there's good intro level surfing w/ pleny of opportunity to rent equipment. And there's supposed to be climibng on Mt. Gilbralter.

There's a state beach with pay camping in Gaviota just N. of SB. There's also serveral state beaches in Santa Cruz w/camping. THese all might be full, though. I gots no beta on freecamping either place. Don't know if it exists.

Good luck w/your decision!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook