Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Approach beta: Here's how to find the Main Wall.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

john43

Jul 11, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #1 of 1 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Approach beta: Here's how to find the Main Wall.  (North_America: United_States: New_Jersey: Northern_rt_80_and_up: Delaware_Water_gap__Mount_Tammany_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Exit I-80 in New Jersey at the DWG vistor's area, and park somewhere. Doesn't matter where you park. If you're on the Southwest side (between the I-80 and the river), walk SouthEast on the street (not I-80) and cross under I-80. If you're lazy, drive to the small parking lots which provide access to the hiking trails.

At this point, forget about the "Red Dot" trail or other trails. The climb approaches are not blazed, and are not listed on the visitor maps.

Walk East along I-80, against the oncoming Westward traffic. Stay on the other side of the concrete barrier, mainly so you don't die from a trucker bomb, but also because the NJ state police are quite unfriendly to people setting foot on the highway itself. There is a faint trail you'll follow. You're in the trees, and it's muddy, but really just inches away from I-80.

The trail will break out of the trees and you must walking along I-80 with a sheer face immediately on your left, and the concrete barrier immediately on your right.

As soon as the sheer face on your left ends, look left. That's the access trail to the main wall. It's steep. (If you walk along I-80 to the talus field, you've walked too far.) Once on the access trail, you're already there. The "main wall" is on your left.

Just a note: You will encounter rattlesnakes, deer, and ticks every time you visit DWG. Once in a while, you will spot a black bear.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook