RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

t_nut

Jul 17, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2417 views)
Shortcut

Summersville by Pontoon?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if WV Watersports is still in business? Their number is disconnected. Alternatively, does anyone have another rental place (that offers overnight rentals) there that they could recommend.

I appreciate any help here.

nnowinowski

Jul 17, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #2 of 23 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [t_nut] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't plan on climbing over 6' out of the water :-(

t_nut

Jul 17, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #3 of 23 (2396 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nnowinowski] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously? Someone is enforcing this? Since when - what gives?

climbinwv

Jul 17, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 23 (2387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Army Corps of Engineers with the help of the DNR. Ban will be in effect for 3 years minimum.

bent_gate

Jul 17, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #5 of 23 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to check out this thread:

No more DWS at Summersville, WV?

and this thread:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=1610886

Partner j_ung

Jul 17, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #6 of 23 (2381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinwv] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not official in any way, but I really don't think it's being enforced. I have yet to hear of even one climber being stopped, spoken to, cited or in any other way hassled over DWS-ing.

EDIT: Unfortunately, however, I think WV Watersports is no more.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jul 17, 2007, 8:39 PM)

climbinwv

Jul 17, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #7 of 23 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You would know better than I would J_ung. I am only going on the words of the public information officer for the corps. She and I have talked several times (my company does a lot of work with the ACOE) and she spoke semi-off the record with me. The new commander for the district is apparently adamant about protecting the corps from lawsuits and thus issued this order. It is the only order of the kind in the entire USA. She told me I should wait a couple months and see how the enforcement goes. We had a trip scheduled for a couple weeks ago that we cancelled because of this. Guys like you who are there all the time would be an asset to inform the community if it is safe to continue to dws @ Summersville. My only concern is that if dws begins to happen on a large scale the ban will be enforced. As always, thanks for the info, you are the man. Looking forward to minivous!!!Cool

dreday3000

Jul 17, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 23 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I rented a pontoon boat after the ban and didn't receive any hassle. Spent the whole day DWSing and didn't get hassled. I saw a safety patrol boat once. He didn't really seem to be concerned about DWS but I still did my best to remain inconspicuous. Doesn't seem like they are enforcing but don't push it. Also, be aware that they are postings around the marina so claiming ignorance if you do get busted might not work.

I rented directly from the Marina, which worked well because that way you don't have to tow a boat. The Marina's phone number is 304-872-1331. They don't have a website but they are conneted to the Marina Dive shop whose website is

http://www.sarges.net/summersv.htm

I think Pontoon boats cost about 300 a day so you better have that thing full (up to 10 people). Personally I think Jon Boats work better for DWS as you can get the boat directly next to the cliff and climb out from the boat. Keeps your feet dry and you don't have to break the waterline - which I find tricky. Jon Boats cost about 100 bucks a day but the marina will only let you have two people on board. That said, they seat 4-5 pretty comfortably. Picking up any additional friends at the collesum works well.

In terms of actual climbing, Check out Long Point and Whipperwill; both great spots.

Good luck!

dreday3000

Jul 17, 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #9 of 23 (2352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, don't mention climbing when you rent the boat as its against policy. Some of the people at the Marina are more strict about this than other. The 'big guy' is particularly strict (you'll know him when you see him) If you get one of the younger guys you can probably bring a full rack on board.

When I went we brought a rope and set of draws and docked at the Colosseum towards the end of the day. That worked well because you tend to get pretty wore out from the swimming.

oldhippywithdog

Jul 17, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #10 of 23 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had experience with this rule being enforced. A few freinds and I were sitting on a small ledge about 8 feet above the water and we were asked to climb down by some guys in a boat with a logo I've forgotten. Some army something something...

johnathon78

Jul 17, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #11 of 23 (2308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OH how I;ve been harassed! At Whipoorwill last weekend, the safety patrol ( sounds scary huh?! ) came over to the whole crew of us to inform us that climbing out of the water with the intent to jump was illegal, but at this point there only giving warnings. They kept an eye on us most of the day after that by using their binoculars from across the lake. We still climbing, but we either topped it out or down climbed. One group of inexperienced climbers was stranded atop a route for 20 minutes until the coast was clear to jump. They are out there, they will warn you first...and eventually I feel they will ticket. Anywho, they have a small grey boat, canopy on top, SAFETY PATROL written in red on both sides of the boat.

t_nut

Jul 18, 2007, 1:42 AM
Post #12 of 23 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnathon78] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bummer about the 'Safety Patrol' and WV Watersports. We'll have to keep a low profile if we go. Not sure - last I checked the marina doesn't let you keep boats overnight and they're steeper in price.

What about that campground (forget the name offhand - Summersville Retreat maybe?) on 19 that rents boats - anyone have any experience???

Thanks for the info, regardless.

mtnslide

Jul 22, 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #13 of 23 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there any place else in the east that is good for DWS ? I want to go but I dont want to make a trip from Orlando to be hassled by the "cliff police"

mikitta

Jul 22, 2007, 6:59 AM
Post #14 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnslide] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like there are a lot of lakes getting some weird safety smack down. I know this isn't climbing related, but last year they shut down the swimming area at Tygart lake because some jerk from out of state complained that his buddies pushed him off the diving platform and the lifeguards didn't do anything about it. I got to read his 3 page "whaa whaa whaa" letter and he threatened lawsuit in a round about way.

Was a big bummer too, because I liked to take my kids there. I'm not sure if they decided to open it up this year or entirely shut it all down for good.

Here's hoping that some folks may be in a position to dialog with the PTB's at Sommersville and get some DWS access opened up again.

God Bless,
mik

clausti

Jul 23, 2007, 5:25 AM
Post #15 of 23 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikitta] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so i just realized this was originally posted in General. it is most DEFNITELY climbing related, why was it moved to community?

thomasribiere

Jul 23, 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #16 of 23 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moved to Regional Discussion. It could be moved to Access Issues as well...

clausti

Jul 23, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

regional discussion seems appropriate. just seems like there have been some weird things moved in to scummunity lately, like this, and the tickets to greece (for climbing) thread, ect.

thanks thomas.

poomasta

Jul 23, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnslide] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We're headed to Summersville in a week - any update on the enforcement of the ban being applied to DWS?

Also interested in any other recs for DWS in the SE - we might adjust our road trip plans accordingly if summersville is out.

thanks!
mike

Partner j_ung

Jul 30, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #19 of 23 (1996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Look for more information on Summersville cliff jumping in an article in the upcoming Blue Ridge Outdoors. Should be on stands this week.

lodi5onu

Jul 31, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i went DWS with a group by pontoon boat on the weekend of 7/22,23...Safety Patrol with the army corps of engineers stopped us and warned that you can't climb above 6ft on the rocks and intentionally jump. I'm not sure how long this grace period will last, but they said the penalty is up to $5000 and possible prison time...they watched several times after the warning while members climbed above 6ft and "accidently fell" off the rock while DWSing and didn't give us any further reprimand...hope this helps

clausti

Aug 1, 2007, 3:41 AM
Post #21 of 23 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lodi5onu] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lodi5onu wrote:
i went DWS with a group by pontoon boat on the weekend of 7/22,23...Safety Patrol with the army corps of engineers stopped us and warned that you can't climb above 6ft on the rocks and intentionally jump. I'm not sure how long this grace period will last, but they said the penalty is up to $5000 and possible prison time...they watched several times after the warning while members climbed above 6ft and "accidently fell" off the rock while DWSing and didn't give us any further reprimand...hope this helps

wait... you can't *intentionally* fall? that's how its written? 'cause that doesnt ban soloing... at all. it only bans cliff jumping.

drfelatio

Aug 1, 2007, 4:20 AM
Post #22 of 23 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
lodi5onu wrote:

wait... you can't *intentionally* fall? that's how its written? 'cause that doesnt ban soloing... at all. it only bans cliff jumping.

Well from what I've read, the rule is you cannot "enter the water from a height greater than your own." Well, ok, but what if you solo and don't fall? Seems to me like the rule bans entering the water, not climbing above it.

lodi5onu

Aug 1, 2007, 1:33 PM
Post #23 of 23 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] Summersville by Pontoon? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drfelatio wrote:
clausti wrote:
lodi5onu wrote:

Well from what I've read, the rule is you cannot "enter the water from a height greater than your own." Well, ok, but what if you solo and don't fall? Seems to me like the rule bans entering the water, not climbing above it.

I don't know how it's "written" because i have not seen any signs or literature on the rule, but Safety Patrol told us "we can't stop ppl from climbing the rocks, but you cannot intentionally jump into the water from higher than 6 feet"

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook