RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

waggas

Jul 27, 2007, 2:09 AM
Post #1 of 7 (949 views)
Shortcut

Is this dead gear now?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, here's what happened.

The cupboard I keep all my outdoor gear in, also contains the hot-water system. Which of course, sprung a leak. My brand new, unused climb rope was sitting in a hiking pack on the floor, so some of it was sitting in the hot water for about 1 to 2 days. It wasn't soggy, no water was pooling in the bag, but bits of it were damp. The rest of my gear (slings, hexes, nuts, static line etc) was sitting on a shelf about 2' off the ground, and basically got a light steaming. Now, the cupboard never got hot and steamy, but there was definite moisture in there.

The gear on the shelf I'm pretty sure is safe. The rope, I've been told, won't be a problem either, as the nylon melts at 180°C+, and the hot water system was set to 60°. Can anyone confirm this for me? Not the sort of thing i want to take a chance on, but I don't want to throw out gear just `cause it got wet. I dried it all out straight away, no mold or anything, and didn't use any while wet.

Cheers,
Andrew

carbonrx8

Jul 27, 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #2 of 7 (924 views)
Shortcut

Re: [waggas] Is this dead gear now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, but I can't help myself....

Yeah, everytime I climb on a warm day and sweat on my rope, I get rid of it. Warm water+rope=death.

I also recycle my rack whenever it rains. God forbid there might be a speck of rust.

(p.s. lube up the metal-on-metal parts of your cams with a little "wet" bike lube or other "water-chasing" lube.

salamanizer

Jul 27, 2007, 2:45 AM
Post #3 of 7 (911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is your water heater full of bleach/battery acid or something similar?

billcoe_

Jul 27, 2007, 3:04 AM
Post #4 of 7 (897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're fine I'm sure, but I'd like to see Sterlingjim check in as he makes climbing ropes for a living. If he's out climbing, you might consider e-mailing the Mfg.

BTW, your rope is shorter now. After it dries out, let us know how much so eh?

Regards;

Bill

chalkfree

Jul 27, 2007, 3:20 AM
Post #5 of 7 (865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shit dude, it's fine.

I pulled a .4 camalot out of a wet crack here in Montana, said cam has resided in such place for at least a year, 100°F to -30°F, wet, frozen, and I'm sure the object of many a noobie's booty fantasy.

Guess where it is now. (That's right, it's on my coffee table, with the rest of the gear I climbed on today.)

Joe

waggas

Jul 27, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 7 (850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalkfree] Is this dead gear now? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers folks.

Just wanted to make sure. Cool

bent_gate

Jul 27, 2007, 4:47 AM
Post #7 of 7 (795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only chemicals, not water, can harm your rope. That being said. Was it an electric or gas hot water heater? Was the leak from the bottom of the heater or the middle?

Lime sediment builds up at the bottom of water heaters, and and long as the actual sediment did not get washed onto your rope (I can't imagine how) then you should be fine. Just as you wouldn't want to leave your rope on cement, you probably wouldn't want wet lime sediment on your rope. (the actual water itself would be no more acidic or caustic than your regular tap water.

I'll disclaim that I am not an authority in any way, but - "I would climb on the rope".

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook