RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

guccipiggy

Jul 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1271 views)
Shortcut

BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a crag pack that would fit my rack and my rope in the 40-50L range.
I checked out the new BD Predator 50 pack.
It looks a bit frilly but the weight is reasonable and the modularity makes it versatile. The price is a plus too ($129 CDN).
Anybody have any experience with this pack?

climbinwv

Jul 12, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guccipiggy] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No...but if you get one let us know how you like it as I have been considering one also. Looks like a good pack for the $$$ and decent enough for a day @ the crag.

sev

Jul 12, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought this pack a few months ago (the 50 L), and I think it's amazing.

I can get a full trad rack (including quickdraws, slings, etc), harness, 2 pairs of shoes, rope, water in the designated water container pouch, and lunch for the day in it and still have room left over. The lid will fit a rain jacket and other misc items like tape, sunscreen, or whatever.

The shoulder straps are incredibly comfortable, as is the waist strap. Plenty of padding and, for me, they sit right where they need to. I'm 6' tall and I got the large size, and it seems to fit perfectly.

It has a bunch of awesome little features that my old pack didn't have. It has a rope strap that comes out of it, allowing you to strap your rope under the lid and over top of the pack. I've done this a few times, but I prefer sticking the ropebag inside the pack itself. The strap goes inside if you're not using it, and it stays out of the way.

It has a crampon pouch that I don't use for its intended purpose, because I don't have any crampons to put in there... but a guidebook will fit in it, allowing for easy access, since the pouch is on the outisde of the pack.

The lid has a nifty helmet carrier. It's basically just some stretchy mesh that straps your helmet to the lid and keeps it in place. It goes back in its pocket when you're not using it.

The grab loop is full strength, and can be used to haul the pack. I haven't tried this, but the loop seems super beefy.

I think the pack is worth every dollar. It fits good, it compresses down very well, and it also has an extendable collar if you need extra space. It doesn't have too much useless shit just dangling around waiting to snag on stuff. As a bonus, the sternum strap clip has an emergency whistle on it that you can use to annoy everyone within earshot all day long.

anykineclimb

Jul 17, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sev] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its on sale at STP right now:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...ckpack-50-Liter.html

rocknice2

Jul 17, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This pack is the best I've ever had, but then again I ice climb. The pack is heavier than my last pack but the support frame makes the load so much easier to carry. It can be stripped down to an ultra light alpine pack. Excellent tool holders, crampon poach, and the helmet holder is very handy.

It fits my rope, rack, harness, shoes, water and a fleece. no problem Mine is a 45L which I bought in the Keene Valley NY. and paid $189.00 US

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
New model BD Predator 50 $129.00 CDN

find it at http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1184637541950

This pack seems to be an older model
anykineclimb wrote:
its on sale at STP right now:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/...ckpack-50-Liter.html

guccipiggy

Jul 17, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Think I'll pick one up for myself.
Thanks for the responses.
So far all good stuff about the pack.

granite_grrl

Jul 17, 2007, 1:57 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both my husband and I picked up this pack last week while out in Calgary. MEC carries it in the 50L with two back lengths, but we cot ours from Wicked Gravity in Calgary who carried it in the 45L (S and L), 50L (S and L) and the 55L (just L). I opted for the 45L because it didn't seem to interfer with looking up while wearing a helmet as much as the 50L. My husband got the 50L.

It seems that their 45L and 50L are large for those sizes, and we tried to find where they added the extra 5L between the two packs, but it was hard to see the difference.

We bought these packs because there wasn't really much out there in that size range and these are climbing specific packs. We have only gone out with them twice so far, but I'm excited to bring them out when ice season rolls around. It has a fair number of features, and most of them seem useful, or at least climbing specific. One I don't see myself using as the rope strap (so far its only gotten in the way) and the helmet mesh holder (not easy to hook on and take off).

chossmonkey

Aug 3, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #8 of 11 (859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like mine really well so far. It carries much nicer than my old beat up Bora. I have the 50 and I think it has more than enough room for a regular day of cragging. The lid has a nicely sized main compartment and two smaller, but useful pockets.

nnowinowski

Aug 3, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #9 of 11 (846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just picked up a sphynx pack seems really nice thought the straps are a bit thin. Have yet to try it out though.

guccipiggy

Aug 3, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #10 of 11 (836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] BD Predator 50 - Crag Pack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
I like mine really well so far. It carries much nicer than my old beat up Bora. I have the 50 and I think it has more than enough room for a regular day of cragging. The lid has a nicely sized main compartment and two smaller, but useful pockets.

This makes me feel good about my purchase. I just picked up a 50L yesterday.
Will try it out this weekend. I might see you, granite grrrl and your packs in Milton someday even if you guys don't go there that much anymore, if at all.

chossmonkey

Aug 3, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #11 of 11 (816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guccipiggy wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:

This makes me feel good about my purchase. I just picked up a 50L yesterday.
Will try it out this weekend. I might see you, granite grrrl and your packs in Milton someday even if you guys don't go there that much anymore, if at all.
We'll be the dorky couple with matching packs. At least we got different colors.Crazy

They are pretty nice packs though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook