Any tips on using expansion bolts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

snoopy138

Aug 4, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #26 of 70 (4204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

page turn.

for the win.

SkaFreak

Aug 4, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #27 of 70 (4193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am amazed at the number of you that bit. Same guy posting total bs about drilling and "repelling" and so many of you still took it hook line and sinker. Pretty good job on the troll, but only because you pulled so many people in.

overlord

Aug 4, 2007, 7:23 PM
Post #28 of 70 (4179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkaFreak] Some tips on avoiding poor illiterate trolls? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SkaFreak wrote:
I am amazed at the number of you that bit. Same guy posting total bs about drilling and "repelling" and so many of you still took it hook line and sinker. Pretty good job on the troll, but only because you pulled so many people in.

i doubt this is a troll... because it cant be.

besides, id rather risk 'humiliation' with answering a troll than risking this being for real and not trying to dissuade him

sky7high

Aug 4, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #29 of 70 (4158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
12 volt drill.My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Ok now this has to be a troll. A VERY poor troll by the way.

Bolting...Trolling... you need more experience.

Edited to add: the Beginners forum is NOT a place for trolling.

(This post was edited by sky7high on Aug 4, 2007, 9:10 PM)

edmontonalta

Aug 4, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #30 of 70 (4149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
12 volt drill.My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

I have some experience with drills and bolts so that is the method i want to use. I may only have to use one bolt to get up the initial steep area. I have used the 12v rechargeable drill for steel. its possilbe the battery will only last for one hole if the granite is hard. that might be an issue.

how does it hurt to answer if water freezing and expanding in the hole will cause cracks?

most people would not ask all these questions. they would just do it.

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #31 of 70 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sky7high wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:

not subtle... just stew

ped.dull your wares elsewhere, your account might survive long enough to develop some character that would amuse us, but not if you remain in the same vein you've been in thus far. They'll lock you out and you'll have to start all over again.Frown

there's nothing more to see here... move along.

sky7high

Aug 4, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #32 of 70 (4134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't quite understand your post. Am I being locked out?

stymingersfink

Aug 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #33 of 70 (4127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sky7high] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was talking to the new kid, err... troll.

Your post was pointing out the very reason his account will be locked provided his technique does not evolve just a tad. I am not a mod, therefore I cannot actually say what will happen, only what I have observed in the past.

TOS prohibits trolling anywhere on the site, but especially inappropriate is the beginners forum. Much slack will be cut elsewhere, but I don't think the mod's give as much leash around this forum... thus my suggestion that rather than just leave or get himself tarpitted, he try posting to perhaps a different forum where he may prove to be amusing.

We all need a few laughs now and then. Sometimes I'll even laugh with you.

zuegma

Aug 4, 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #34 of 70 (4121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a question.??? How is it that at the begging of this post you claim you are experienced and yet in another post you claim yourself as new. I am confused....can someone help me please!!!Shocked

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #35 of 70 (4086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zuegma] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there any trick to drilling hole in granite? I've spent half an hour and have drilled a 1/4 inch deep hole. the wood/steel bits dont seem to work at all.

curt

Aug 5, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #36 of 70 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Any tips on using expansion bolts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
...My bits work on steel so I think they will be ok for granite. Ill find a boulder somewhere and practice.

Don't bolt the boulders. Do us all a favor and place the first one in the middle of your forehead. Make sure the hole is deep enough and blow out all the dust before installing the bolt. Don't overtighten it because that will only weaken the placement--and also give rise to a nasty headache.

Curt

greenketch

Aug 5, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #37 of 70 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tip #1 Read The Label. What are the bits suitable for drilling?

I'm not sure what your degree is in. But here is a concept. If you want to know about machining, contact a machinist. If you want to know about plumbing, contact a plumber etc.... Then heed their advice. I bet you could even run a verticle mill if you had someone show you how.

Do you see a pattern developing here?

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 3:41 AM
Post #38 of 70 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Found the answer: you need either a manual or power hammer drill. Only a chisel action will get you through rock. Concrete is much easier than rock.

Hand drill:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442097075&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302691197&bmUID=1186285047684

greenketch

Aug 5, 2007, 4:13 AM
Post #39 of 70 (4050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] Some tips on avoiding being tarpitted for trolling inappropriate venues (TOT violation) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No problem. Ya know if this really is somewhere near Seattle as you stated, I know there are several experienced bolters that woudl be willing to help and even bring out some gear.

Placeing bolts is a highly critical thing that is often underrated. When you place a bolt you are not only placeing yourself at risk but every other climber taht follows you. Aside from regulations that may or may not get climbers kicked out of an area entirely,

There are many reasons that some guidance is a good idea. Not the least of which is the placment needs to be planned out for ease of climbing and saftey while clipping. Poorly placed bolts are sometimes more dangerous than no bolts at all.

Give a shout to the local boys or pm me and I may be able to hook ya up.

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #40 of 70 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [greenketch] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not going to go out a buy a new drill to do a few holes. I will have to repell from the top using trees as an anchor.
Attachments: IMG_0080 (Large).JPG (129 KB)

Banks

Aug 5, 2007, 4:48 AM
Post #41 of 70 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edmontonalta] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are going to troll, at least put some effort into it and maybe provide us with a laugh or two. I'd say good luck with your "bolting", but you've already "repelled" us.

greenketch

Aug 5, 2007, 4:52 AM
Post #42 of 70 (4031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a good call. The bolts in your pic are hard to see for sure but if they are what I think I am seeing they are a for sure injury waiting to happen.

You know even the climbing and anchoring is somewhat counterintuitive. Get some help.

N_Oo_B

Aug 5, 2007, 4:55 AM
Post #43 of 70 (4029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Banks] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so now that you realize your drill is a pile of crap, and you've admited you're not going to "waste" money on another drill or books to teach you...

I hope you've given up.

Carnage

Aug 5, 2007, 5:22 AM
Post #44 of 70 (4017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those bolts look bomber, i'd climb on them

i think the part that pisses me off most about his is that your messing up OUR environment. Its not your decision to bolt something, its the decision of many people to bolt routes. from what ive read, you basically looked at this from a few angles, decided you wanted to climb it, then decided to drill holes in it. in my opinion, this gives you know right to decide to make a permanent change to nature.

thats my rant

PLEASE send pics of the final product, i want a good laugh

(This post was edited by Carnage on Aug 5, 2007, 5:37 AM)

flint

Aug 5, 2007, 5:56 AM
Post #45 of 70 (4008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
Im not going to go out a buy a new drill to do a few holes. I will have to repell from the top using trees as an anchor.

Imagine that you ignorant shit head. I thought there were no trees possible from the top. I do remember saying you should rap from trees at the top in the third post in this thread. But yet, you have called everyone stupid, including me, but have drawn your own conclusion, after hours of beating your head against the wall, which are the same as the conclusions as the knowledge put forth on this site.

Forget everything we have told you, go climb twenty feet up that "300m" water fall, start to drill a hole with your home deposit drill. Hopefully the rock quality sucks so you can get one of those hook and eye bolts in, and then maybe when you go to "repell" down, either the bolt blows or your backup of webbing fails because you don't know jack shit.

Fuck this troll

If this is real, I can only hope that I am not reading an accident report next week.

Sorry for the language, I understand that this is a beginners forum, I only hope everyone understands my frustrations.

SkaFreak

Aug 5, 2007, 8:06 AM
Post #46 of 70 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.

(This post was edited by SkaFreak on Aug 5, 2007, 8:07 AM)

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 8:13 AM
Post #47 of 70 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkaFreak] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SkaFreak wrote:
Like I said earlier, it is a troll. He contradicts himself, he suggests everything absurd that he can, he doesn't really give details. This is the picture perfect example of a good troll. It's absurd enough, but yet he did a good enough job of it to make you all bite. This combined with his other posts made it obvious that he was simply trolling. If he made it any more obvious, he would be making a post saying "I am a troll you twits".

edited to add: Mods, you should probably just delete this thread, or at least move it out of the beginners forum.

so, i went out and bought bolts, slings, drill bits, reverso, spent an hour drillin a hole in rock, etc just to do a troll???? grow the fuck up.

overlord

Aug 5, 2007, 8:50 AM
Post #48 of 70 (3975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edmontonalta wrote:
SkaFreak wrote:

so, i went out and bought bolts, slings, drill bits, reverso, spent an hour drillin a hole in rock, etc just to do a troll???? grow the fuck up.

you are either...

a) a troll

or

b) so blatantly ignorant that i wish you were a troll.

you asked for advice. despite the question asked wasnt really on the smart side, some folks answered according to their best knowledge. you might not have liked the answer, but thats the way it is. they gave you advice their experience told them was good (get instruction, dont bolt...), not advice you wanted to hear (just got ahead and bolt the thing). well, tough. you DO NOT have enough experience for bolting and the tools you choose proove this point further. and you keep ignoring good advice that people who have more experience (and that experience has originated from mistakes ppl made, believe me) give you.

climbing is not a venture where you can be stubborn and stupid. please, choose something else to do. if you do not want to learn and even deny your own ignorance you will only get hurt. in climbing, you are always learning and the sooner you believe there is nothing else to learn, the sooner you end up in a hospital (if you are lucky that is, if you are not...).

edmontonalta

Aug 5, 2007, 9:38 AM
Post #49 of 70 (3970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
edmontonalta wrote:
SkaFreak wrote:

you are either...

a) a troll

or

b) so blatantly ignorant that i wish you were a troll.

you asked for advice. despite the question asked wasnt really on the smart side, some folks answered according to their best knowledge. you might not have liked the answer, but thats the way it is. they gave you advice their experience told them was good (get instruction, dont bolt...), not advice you wanted to hear (just got ahead and bolt the thing). well, tough. you DO NOT have enough experience for bolting and the tools you choose proove this point further. and you keep ignoring good advice that people who have more experience (and that experience has originated from mistakes ppl made, believe me) give you.

climbing is not a venture where you can be stubborn and stupid. please, choose something else to do. if you do not want to learn and even deny your own ignorance you will only get hurt. in climbing, you are always learning and the sooner you believe there is nothing else to learn, the sooner you end up in a hospital (if you are lucky that is, if you are not...).

You guys just insulted me and gave me zero advice.
you guys are totally rude and unhelpful.

mr-pink

Aug 5, 2007, 9:45 AM
Post #50 of 70 (3965 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The OP needs a bolt gun!
use the search button!

REI will be selling them from september on!

No mistakes possible

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook