RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

anykineclimb

Jul 9, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1170 views)
Shortcut

System tiles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm considering getting Revolution's System tiles for my wall. They look a lot like the old Pusher tiles (imagine that!) I know a couple companies, you can order specific holds instead of sets so you can get identical holds and some even have system hold sets. Anyone use them or recommend other system tiles or holds?

rudolphluciani

Aug 27, 2007, 5:02 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] System tiles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

we've got the revolution tiles at our gym and i don't like them at all. they are really rough and inconsistantly shaped. shop around

8flood8

Aug 27, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] System tiles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you in favor of training only specific grips to your hands (even if they are identical?)

if so, i think your best bet would be a series of pinches and slopes and nothing more than that, unless you get differing sizes of crimps too... but as far as i am concerned, training openhand grip strengthens all muscles involved.

sidepull

Aug 27, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 6 (999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] System tiles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:
are you in favor of training only specific grips to your hands (even if they are identical?)

if so, i think your best bet would be a series of pinches and slopes and nothing more than that, unless you get differing sizes of crimps too... but as far as i am concerned, training openhand grip strengthens all muscles involved.

although it is a very popular belief that open-handed strength transfers across all hand positions, it has been proven to be false. please read Gresham, or the Self Coached Climber, or Performance Rockclimbing, or even (gasp!) Horst and you'll note that all prescribe training each grip position. Specificity, my friend. Specificity.

Note: If you want more conclusive evidence some where here there's a thread that sites a scientific study to this point. That said, if you get strong enough so that you can open hand everything and rarely crimp then I guess it doesn't make a difference what the kiniesological reality is because you're choosing to use a limited range of motion.

8flood8

Aug 27, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #5 of 6 (973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] System tiles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey that is the beauty of the internet!

thank you for updating my reality!

specificity huh? so what is the prescribed method of training?

how many specific holds do you have to train?

should i be going out to my project with plaster of paris to figure out how to hit those moves i can't hold onto???

anykineclimb

Aug 28, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] System tiles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up picking up 8 tiles on eBay for pretty cheap. I'll be supplementing them with "regular" holds and some more tiles.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook