Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bigo

Aug 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (7229 views)
Shortcut

Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta  (Europe: Spain: Catalunya: Siurana)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, my wife and I and three other close friends are flying into Barcelona late December and are staying for 17 days. SmileWe are planning on it being primarily a climbing trip focused on Siurana, but are interested in doing a little bit of the 'tourist' routine. We have a car rented for the entire time, so we will be quite mobile.

OK, the questions.

It looks like our lodging options at Siurana are the hotel, the refugio, and free camping. The hotel is a little pricy, and we would rather not camp - does anyone have any experience with the refugio or any other recommendations for lodging in the area?

Also, feel free to beta spew for the trip. What are the crags I need to hit? What should we do in Barcelona? Are we going to freeze? All that ....

This is my wife and I's first trip to Europe, so we are super psyched ... I can't hardly wait.

Thanks for the input,
Orion

alpine_chris

Aug 29, 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #2 of 8 (7220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigo] Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Under these circumstances, the refgio in Siuarana seems to be the best option. It's a nice place run by friendly people. I suggest to book well in advance as it most probably will be very busy at this time of the year.

What crags to hit? Depends on wwat you want to climb. Basically everything there is 5-star-climbing.

Freezing there at the end of the year? The temperature difference between day and night will be big. Be prepared for cold evenings and nights. If you are lucky, you climb in shorts during the day, if you are really unlucky it will be too cold to climb. In this case, drive a couple of hours to the South (Areas of Valencia, Calpe etc.). It is ususlly warmer there and the climbing is at a lower elevation.

bigo

Aug 29, 2007, 3:06 PM
Post #3 of 8 (7205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpine_chris] Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info Chris. I think I am going to take your advice and book at least some of our stay in the refugio immediately. Maybe we will splurge a few nights at the Hotel ...

5-star-climbing sounds good to me. I kinda figured it will be a little bit of a gamble with the weather, but we're game.

sungam

Aug 29, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #4 of 8 (7201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, the refugio's there rock.
Also, there's a little resteraunt/cafe/bar thing at the entrance to the camp site where they sell good cheap food and play climbing DVD's on a big screen TV.
It's awsome.

-MagnuS

crimperqueen

Aug 31, 2007, 3:00 PM
Post #5 of 8 (7188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also heading to Surianna with my husband in 3 weeks to climb. We have decided to take our tent as we heard that the toni arbones is pretty good.
However, the refugio would be cool. do we need our thermarests/sleeping bags etc and what are the prices? anyone have a contact? I can't seem to get the website to work.
Cheers!

sungam

Sep 5, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #6 of 8 (7169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimperqueen] Christmas trip to Siurana, Spain - need beta [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno the number for the refugio's or anything, we just drove around and found one using www.rockfax.com's guidebook to costa durada, really good book- has all the details.
The refugio's had bunks with little blue matresses on them (the 3" thick ones, you know what I mean?) which were good enough but a mat on top would be good, too. There was no one else in when we were there so I stole to other matresses and made a double bed size stacked 2 high. nice and comfy.
Anyways, the rockfax guide is probobly yyour best bet for beta on the refugio's and stuff. Have fun!

-MagnuS

sune_hermit

Oct 14, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 8 (7113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there

I've been to Siurana twice, last time was in june 2007.
The refugio has all its 16 (?) beds in a single room in stacks of three - which leaves little room for privacy or place to put ones gear. And a tent at the campsite is uncomfortable. I would recommend the little cabins at the campsite run by Tony Arbones in Siurana (about 1/4 mile before the village). There are two sizes of these cabins - the big ones hold up to 6 people, has a kitchen and a bathroom. There are two big cabins. The smaller ones - of which there are four - hold up to 4 people and has kitchen and sink but no bath. There are toilets and showers in the big house near the entrance where the bar/restaurant also is.

Also I recommend the guide from Rockfax, although it should be mentioned that this only has some of the sectors in Siurana and Arboli etc - for example, the famous route La Ramble 9a+ (5.15) is not included in the Rockfax guide since it's in a sector not covered in the book. There´s a local guide which has more sectors in it, I think it can be bought at the bar in the campsite.

To reserve a cabin at Tonys place, simply email them at aarbones@ati.es. They can also tell you the price.

When in Siurana I also recommend a short drive to Arboli - its 15 minutes in car from Siurana and a really nice place to climb.

There are a few pictures at http://hermit.dk/Klatrespanien2006/

Let me know if you need more details - suggestions for routes etc.

Sune Hermit
Denmark

GC_Siurana

Oct 29, 2008, 8:03 AM
Post #8 of 8 (6816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
I'm an American climber, leaving in Spain for last seven years. Have a house in the nearby village of Cornudella de Monsant 2km to Siurana (where all the stores are). Normally leave in Barcelona but like to spend weekends there, have 3 extra bedrooms. Can rent one for a reasonable price. If you need info on climbing and general travel info, always here to help!
You can send me e-mail lgcollum@hotmail.com
Greg

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook