Premier Sponsor:

skibabeage
Deleted

Oct 8, 2002, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

climbsomething

Oct 8, 2002, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Claiming what's already ours [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

*clap clap clap*

Martha is filling the "empowerment" portion of this forum today! Well said!

alpineice

Oct 8, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said!

catga86

Oct 8, 2002, 10:48 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, that was amazing piece of writing....

passthepitonspete

Oct 8, 2002, 11:04 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Martha is an amazing woman - indeed a hottie - and Dr. Piton is her fan.

This post brings to mind another 'Martha' - Sagamartha, [or]Chomolunga, depending on which side of the range you are standing]

That Mother Goddess of the Earth is a real hottie, too - all 8848 m of her.

Can't wait to meet them both.

[Gads, Martha, we both figured we'd never be caught dead in "The Ladies [sic] Room" Forum....]

aelita

Oct 20, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said, Martha! Personally, I think women have always had more power than men in the Western culture would have liked to admit (Madame Pompadour or Catherine the Great anyone?) But there was a time when Astarte was the mother goddess of all... and then Yahveh took her place as the partriarchal symbol, through a long complicated history of political and power choices. But the female goddess was really hard to stomp out even in the most male dominated worlds - eventually she does make her way into any spiritual realm in one way or another...

john1987

Dec 8, 2002, 11:14 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is an interesting topic. the social studies class im in was discussing the same thing the other day. (sometimes we get a little sidetracked) Anyways to start off I believe that women should always have the same rights as men but I think that it can go to far. For example in some colleges minorities including women are given extra points on entrance exams just for being a minortiy. So a male could have a better grade then a women or any other minority but the women would get into the college. Is that fair? I am not sure how many extra points are given and usually the points are more often given because of race and not gender but it does happen. I know for a fact that Michigan State does this but I would have to see about other colleges. I'm going to go off on another rant here but another issue is sports. There was an amendment again id have to look it up but it said that women had to be allowed to play as many sports as men. This works most of the time but what if you don't have enough women who want to participate in a certain sport. Should you cut one of the mens sports so they will be equal? I don't think so. If you think this is stupid and totally off the topic tell me and ill delete it but thats just my opinion.
John

esimhs99

Dec 9, 2002, 12:27 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think that your opinion is totally justified, but it is also the result of a male dominated society. the only reason that women and minorities need a "break" is bec in a white, male dominated society they wont make it without one. luckily society is STARTING (very slowly) to come around and see that all people deserve equal opportunities, but we still have a LONG LONG LONG way to go!

Partner philbox

Dec 9, 2002, 6:40 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with equal opportunities but am aghast that we have travelled down that road only to be sideswiped by the equal outcomes bus.

I`m thinking that girls and women in general have benefitted greatly from an enlightened attitude amongst academia only for boys and men to be left way behind in the academic stakes.

This I feel will turn around and bite the sisterhood in the proverbial.
...Phil...

esimhs99

Dec 9, 2002, 3:46 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

please elaborate on that...just curious as to why you think so

Partner philbox

Dec 9, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boys are doing type creatures. Girls are much happier with the touchy feely type pursuits of academia. This is probably nothing new. What is interesting to me is that girls are becoming increasingly catered for in the education world whereas boys are not having their needs catered for that well.

Boys and girls are fundamentally different, this is something that has always been so and is not something that we could ever disagree on, at least this is my fervent hope.

Throughout history boys have been trained by men to do great things, we are wired to get out there and do. Look at boys in the classroom they are rearing to get out there and do whereas the girls are content to absorb the knowledge that is being passed their way.

The difficulty comes when attempts are made to mould boys into the learning model that suits girls. Have a look at how many drugs are used nowadays to control boys behaviour, ADD and ADHD are blamed increasingly for nothing more than boys restless yearning to get out there and do. I`ll add one more thing into the equation, boys love risk, is this any surprise.

Boys need to have the inherent needs channelled into doing activities that also cater to their need for risky behaviours. If this is not done then as nature abhors a vacuum then boys will do and boys will search out risky behaviours that could well be destructive to themselves and more importantly to others.

Girls could well be on the receiving end of that destructive behaviour. This is of course a very general and totally inflammatory statement to make but I see this already starting to happen.

Boys will do and risk. Girls will achieve great things in their pursuits as it should be. If boys are not catered for to help them achieve great things in their chosen pursuits then there will be conflict as envy and malice takes hold, remember that boys will do, they will not sit back and allow themselves to become docile clones of girls, they just aren`t wired that way.

Let me give you an example of boys need to do and need for risk. There is a new craze around here, young boys will steal a car and drive it past a police station to generate a car chase. Why do you think this is so.

As I stated at the outset I think it`s great that girls are doing well at the moment, I just think that there should also be an effort to ensure that boys are not left behind.

This of course is a completely non professional opinion and should not be taken as any sort of inflammatory statement. This is merely what I think at the moment.

…Phil…

esimhs99

Dec 9, 2002, 11:56 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

interesting response. i dont know if i fully agree/disagree with you. i think that you have made a valid statement, i just dont see it as dramatically as you. that could be due to the fact that i am just not seeing it. although i do agree that with women entering into education and higher education that some modifications have been made in the way things are taught/done. and i believe that some overcompensation has been made. it is as if people are trying extra hard to make up for lost time or something. in which case women are getting ahead, and men are being left behind. a compromise is needed (and i do not think this just applies with men/women education, but across the board when it comes to overcompensation of minorities) in order to let both ends receive maximum benefits.

Partner missedyno

Sep 25, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

empowerment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

waking up a nice debate for you all...

rockwomyn

Sep 25, 2003, 3:19 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2437 views)
Shortcut

Re: empowerment [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
waking up a nice debate for you all...

:D :D Nothing like stirring the pot before your leave town...... :wink:

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook