Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

whoa

Sep 13, 2007, 3:27 AM
Post #51 of 88 (7415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
whoa wrote:
ajkclay wrote:
no, it's a strawman... you create a hypothetical situation that isn't a part of the arguement of your opponent and then argue against it in the vein hopes that by attacking and destroying the "strawman" diversion you have created to represent your opponent's arguement you will fool people into believing you have won the arguement...

once again, it's faulty logic that works only with people who do not understand your ploy...

Dingus does and therefore your diversion will not work.

Argue his point and he will consider your arguement worthy of reply.

Cheers
Adam

See, no one knows what his position *is*, because he has not stated it at all clearly...

Simply because your grasp of the topic is poor, is no reason to conclude that everyone else is similarly lost.

Curt

Super. Then I can count on you to state his position clearly. Thanks.

stymingersfink

Sep 13, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #52 of 88 (7405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
builttospill wrote:
I'm sorry, not everything should be accessible to everyone.
Actually, I think there's a law (or laws) that requires exactly that.
Oftentimes, the best and only way to re-live history, is to take a walk on the wildside... especially if the FA'er is no longer able to tell their stories.
Dingus, you're right.
oh, and take me climbing some time, eh? Smile
If it was possible to relive history I'd be living it up in my 20s again. But it ain't. That's passed and can't be recreated. That's a smart assed way of making my point, but it's not the same experience anymore.
clearly you've missed my point. Perhaps it wasn't all that clear to begin with.

that being, that the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of one's hero(ine) pioneers, in a sport one loves as much as life itself, may be one of the only opportunities to get a glimpse of what THEY saw or experienced.

Climb the Beckey route (there's gotta be one at a crag near you!), meanwhile meditate on what it may have been like to do the FA in hob-nailed boots pounding pitons in for protection. I'll bet you don't, as a general rule, spend your freeclimbing time with a hammer holstered in your bowline-on-a-coil, do you? Well, at one time such technique was state-of-the-art in rockclimbing. We've come a long way, baby!

If you cannot show your appreciation and respect for those who have come before, you cannot rightfully expect any appreciation or respect from those who come after. If such is to be the case, may I be the first to say "STFU Old Man! Why don't you just go home and drink your prune juice, leave the (used to be) dangerous stuff to us youngsters." For although you may not be old yet, if you keep up at this game long enough I'm sure you'd hear it eventually.

OTOH, perhaps you do not expect to provide any lasting contribution to the sport, either in FA's or in providing guidance to the next generation of climbers. If this happens to be the case, I might respectfully invite you to find another hobby. Smile

I apologize in advance for a seemingly discombobulated post. The entire topic is one I've not seriously explored. I have yet to find any reason to question the original ethic, and in fact find it difficult to understand why anyone would. It would seem to me to be one of the foundation tenets of climbing. Without it, where would it stop?

curt

Sep 13, 2007, 4:21 AM
Post #53 of 88 (7384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whoa] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa wrote:
curt wrote:
whoa wrote:
ajkclay wrote:
no, it's a strawman... you create a hypothetical situation that isn't a part of the arguement of your opponent and then argue against it in the vein hopes that by attacking and destroying the "strawman" diversion you have created to represent your opponent's arguement you will fool people into believing you have won the arguement...

once again, it's faulty logic that works only with people who do not understand your ploy...

Dingus does and therefore your diversion will not work.

Argue his point and he will consider your arguement worthy of reply.

Cheers
Adam

See, no one knows what his position *is*, because he has not stated it at all clearly...

Simply because your grasp of the topic is poor, is no reason to conclude that everyone else is similarly lost.

Curt

Super. Then I can count on you to state his position clearly. Thanks.

I'll think about it. What does remedial tutoring pay these days?

Curt

whoa

Sep 13, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #54 of 88 (7374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't think so.

ajkclay

Sep 13, 2007, 5:48 AM
Post #55 of 88 (7351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the interests of saving myself time typing I quote someone who said it as close to my philosophy as I could write and probably better:

epoch wrote:
My stance on things. A climb should remain intact as the FAist(s) climbed it. Hence, if a 5.2 is done in impeccable style without the need for bolts, the leaving of pins, or was runout to the point where you may have just unroped and soloed it, then it should stay that way.

I KNOW my limits. I KNOW what might be a bad decision and I RESPECT the gut instinct that tells me: this is not the time, nor the place.

Unfortunately, I (we) have seen a bit of retrobolting happen on many classic testpieces because people 'wanted to be safer,' or because there is a guide service/author that wants to exploit a climb done by so-and-so.

If you don't have the balls or ability/agility to do a climb in the style that the FAist(s) did it in then maybe you need to work some more and return when you might be able to climb it in the same style. The reasons you climb it, as Mr. Gill mentioned, may not be the same as when the climb was first done. I've asked countless people in my meager 10 year climbing career why they do it. Know what? Everyone has a different answer.

What motivates us to be attracted to these runout and often poorly protected climbs is that it scares us and because we now live in a pussified world we need things to be safer. If that's the case, then maybe you need to rethink your hobbies.

Maybe you need to work on attaining a level where YOU can make that FA and set the 'unwritten' rules pertaining to your climb. I'm with Dingus on the spew thing. It's an ethos to climb it as is and leave it with as little impact that you were there. I think that if I were to run across one of them routes, I wouldn't even know that it had seen an ascent. I too am not telling.

Word.

Climbing is not about staying in your cocoon all safe and snuggly, go suck on your momma's nipple if you want that.

There are plenty of climbs to play on at all types of grade, I don't need to go pissing on someone else's tree to prove I am a man or just to stake my own claim on someone else's work.

Your argument about the 5.2 line bolted to hell is another faulty logic attack... we're not talking about a bolted route with no bolts at the crux you tool!

Here's a reply you'd probably think is fair given your modus operandi: Should we then also be able to chip holds in places that are a little too tricky? For instance, if I wanted to climb the Realization route set by Sharma some time ago wouldn't it be ok to chip holds without altering the holds he used? As long as the original holds were not touched then surely in the name of making this section of cliff accessible to everyone who has a right to be there this would be perfectly agreeable to all? Especially whoa et. al.

Cheers

Adam

whoa

Sep 13, 2007, 5:52 AM
Post #56 of 88 (7347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ajkclay] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well you sure got me there. okay, i give.

degaine

Sep 13, 2007, 9:51 AM
Post #57 of 88 (7319 views)
Shortcut

Re: A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa wrote:
if i (a solid 5.5 climber) put up a runout 5.2 in the meadows, and i stamp my little feet and insist that i don't want anyone to add bolts, guess what?

What you think is a hypothetical is actually a reality. I’ve climbed many 5.2 pitches in the high mountains with sparse or no protection. No one complains, no one retrobolts and no one has chopped the one or two pitons / bolts that were placed on the FA.

<5.9 well protected multi-pitch climbs are put up all the time.

I like how Tuolumne always comes up in these discussions, as if it is some bastion of unprotected, death routes. I’ve climbed there a lot – less than some and more than others – and have never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, never had trouble finding high quality, well-protected climbs. Sure, Tuolumne is known for it’s slab runouts, but it ain’t short on well protected climbs for the under 5.10a climber. Top that off with the fact that very, very, very often the technical crux of the well know run out climbs is well protected (Hoodwink, for example) and the run out or X portions of the climbs are those pitches with a significantly lower rating than the crux pitch.

I can’t think of any climb in Tuolumne where the FA party took anything away from anyone.

caughtinside wrote:
Re: south crack. Don't know, haven't done it. But I would hazard a guess that a fall up there would be survivable. Not the case on the other climbs we've been discussing. Besides, I think it gets onsighted daily.

If you can climb 5.8, you can climb South Crack no problem. The runout upper slab pitches are, well, runout, but certainly way below the technical crux in terms of difficulty. Fantastic route, and a good morning route given it’s southern exposure.

(edit to add "of well know run out climbs")

(This post was edited by degaine on Sep 13, 2007, 2:16 PM)

notapplicable

Sep 13, 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #58 of 88 (7311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa wrote:
epoch wrote:
My stance on things. A climb should remain intact as the FAist(s) climbed it.

epoch, some questions:

if i put bolts every 3 feet on that 5.2 not for any good reason but because i'm an idiot, must they be left in place? i'm guessing you'll say no. right?

what if i left a part unbolted not for any good reason but because i'm an idiot? maybe i protected all the 5.0 stuff but not the heinous 5.2 crux, leaving a long G route with an X crux.

epoch wrote:
if a 5.2 is done in impeccable style

Is this meant as a qualification of your initial claim, i.e., that not necessarily *all* fa's are to be left alone, just the ones done with "impeccable style"?

Are you happy Dingus?

Do you see what you have started?

You should have known it would go this route.

After thought: To answers whoa's question so he won't accuse me of avoiding the issue. I personaly would leave your bizarly bolted 5.2 as it stands aslong as the bolts dont coincide with natural gear placements. If that were the case, given the location and ethical climate, they would be removed. You being the first one to climb that route protected it in the way you saw fit and although I would be shaking my head while climbing the route unroped, I would not edit your work with out your permission. Thats not to say I wouldnt hound you about the need to remove some bolts, I just wouldnt do it for you.

RESPECT. Its an important virtue, learn it, live it.

Partner epoch

Sep 13, 2007, 11:20 AM
Post #59 of 88 (7302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa wrote:
epoch wrote:
My stance on things. A climb should remain intact as the FAist(s) climbed it.

epoch, some questions:

if i put bolts every 3 feet on that 5.2 not for any good reason but because i'm an idiot, must they be left in place? i'm guessing you'll say no. right?

what if i left a part unbolted not for any good reason but because i'm an idiot? maybe i protected all the 5.0 stuff but not the heinous 5.2 crux, leaving a long G route with an X crux.

epoch wrote:
if a 5.2 is done in impeccable style

Is this meant as a qualification of your initial claim, i.e., that not necessarily *all* fa's are to be left alone, just the ones done with "impeccable style"?
If I come across a 5.2 with bolts every 3 feet, I'm sure that I'll conclude that the FAist was indeed an idiot. And if said person didn't protect the crux, well, oh well.

My qualification and quantification as impeccable is entirely subjective, as are your opinions on this matter. I've climbed junk rated 5star, and I've climbed stuff that was rated 1 star that was phenominal. I've climbed the scary runout stuff and the grid protected fluff.

Unfortunately, it IS up to the person who climbs something for the first time to set the standard for the route. I don't advocate bolts. If a person has the balls (whether implied or artifically inflated, ie: ego) to not bolt then so be it. There are places such as Rifle and Rumney where bolts are the thing. Let those places be that way.

As far as the climb in question goes, appreciate the line as it lies. If you cannot do it, then don't. Or do, we need less pricks in the community.

tomcat

Sep 13, 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #60 of 88 (7285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At this point in time I do not think there is so much valuable rock tied up in these so called ego-driven runout routes as there are acres of bolted to death "sport" areas.There never seem to be enough sport routes because they just don't leave that same satisfaction that trad does.I only climb to 5.11 a/b on a good day,so maybe there is something great about wiring something harder over a period of days,but it does not appeal to me.Pretty sure I could get to 12a if I pulled out all the ethical stops that sporto's do to "send".

Of greater concern to me is the lack of restraint ,the pace at which people bolt the shit out of crags,all the same people which yields a vanilla approach,and leaves not much for future generations.Yeah,I know,there's miles of rock along the river in Moab....

Something that seems forgotten is the restraint that a lot of us old schoolers applied,we had bolts,the climbing skills and saw the lines,but were not willing to bolt that heavily in anticipation of a future generation with more skills/sack.

Some old school runout routes got retrobolted at Humpherys to make way for guiding and such.They dry fast and get climbed a lot and are about as ho-hum as they could be.Most folks don't even know the names of one from the other.Yawn.

Partner cracklover

Sep 13, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #61 of 88 (7274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [degaine] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never climbed in Tuolomne, so I'm going to go with degaine's description to get a sense of what it's like to be there:

degaine wrote:
I like how Tuolumne always comes up in these discussions, as if it is some bastion of unprotected, death routes. I’ve climbed there a lot – less than some and more than others – and have never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, never had trouble finding high quality, well-protected climbs. Sure, Tuolumne is known for it’s slab runouts, but it ain’t short on well protected climbs for the under 5.10a climber. Top that off with the fact that very, very, very often the technical crux is well protected (Hoodwink, for example) and the run out or X portions of the climbs are those pitches with a significantly lower rating than the crux pitch.

I can’t think of any climb in Tuolumne where the FA party took anything away from anyone.

So from that vantage point, this particular climb of Bachar's is an aberration. It does seem like a climb where, for once, in exception to the other climbs in Tuolomne, the FA actually *is* taking something away from other climbers. That this is a route out of somewhat out of character for the area. Look, each climb that's done is simply the vision of the FA. Sometimes it's a brilliant, genious, vision of the rock, occasionally it's a testament to a not-so-smart day on the rock. My point is that it's simply one vision of the way up that stretch of rock. And in this case, it seems highly debatable that the line in it's current state is in tune with the local ethic, and is the best use of that real estate.

But... so what?

I mean, I've been thinking about it, and it seems to me that because of the respect due to him, I think I've come down on the side of being happy to defend that route staying there. Giving Bachar his due, at least as long as he lives.

GO

dingus

Sep 13, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #62 of 88 (7253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa wrote:
See, no one knows what his position *is*, because he has not stated it at all clearly.

My position is this: bachar said the onsite first ascent free solo of that route was mong the hardest thigns he ever did. I stated that 'position' in the first post.

In reply to:
What others are doing, and what I have tried to do, is to consider various possible positions, clearly stated, on clearly distinguished questions, and to consider them on the merits, with reference to Bachar's interesting Supertopo post which Dingus did us the favor of quoting.

You restated what you wanted me to be saying into a make-believe scenario that never existed AND THEN proceeded to shoot it down. All in one smooth go. That's strawmanning, and I'm not playing, sorry.

DMT

degaine

Sep 13, 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #63 of 88 (7233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I've never climbed in Tuolomne, so I'm going to go with degaine's description to get a sense of what it's like to be there:

degaine wrote:
I like how Tuolumne always comes up in these
discussions, as if it is some bastion of unprotected, death routes. I’ve climbed there a lot – less than some and more than others – and have never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, never had trouble finding high quality, well-protected climbs. Sure, Tuolumne is known for it’s slab runouts, but it ain’t short on well protected climbs for the under 5.10a climber. Top that off with the fact that very, very, very often the technical crux of the well know run out climbs is well protected (Hoodwink, for example) and the run out or X portions of the climbs are those pitches with a significantly lower rating than the crux pitch.

So from that vantage point, this particular climb of Bachar's is an aberration.

FYI, I made an edit to my initial statement to clarify and added the highligted / italics portion "of well known run out climbs".

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post. In Tuolumne there really is something for everyone, bold test pieces if you like or well protected climbs.

cracklover wrote:
That this is a route out of somewhat out of character for the area.

It really isn't, it's perfectly in line with the character of many FA's, as are the well protected (read cracks) routes.

There's also pretty darn good bouldering in Tuolumne, so the area has three flavors, or "characters" if you will.

cracklover wrote:
And in this case, it seems highly debatable that the line in it's current state is in tune with the local ethic, and is the best use of that real estate.

What know you of the local ethic ? You wrote in the first line of your post that you’ve never climbed in Tuolumne.

cracklover wrote:
But... so what?

I mean, I've been thinking about it, and it seems to me that because of the respect due to him, I think I've come down on the side of being happy to defend that route staying there. Giving Bachar his due, at least as long as he lives.

GO

What do you mean, “as long as he lives”? What if the overwhelming majority of people who climb regularly in Tuolumne prefer that the route remain as is, long after his death, your death and even mine?

dingus

Sep 13, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #64 of 88 (7231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love sport climbing on vertical granite knob routes. I've opened 3 or 4 of them myself, near enough in difficulty to bachar's I guess.

Knobby granite sport climbs can be a dime a frickin dozen in this state.

One of the divides across which we hurl barbs is the notion of the value of a route... what IS the value of a specific route????

Lots of measuring sticks of course. Extreme difficulty has always put a premium value on any climbing route from bouldering to big mountains, from aid to free solo. The harder the climb, the greater the respect (usually), the more value assigned.

The recent thread about the down rating of some uber uber route is a great example...., some of us follow that shit like its football or something.

Lots of other things factor into the value of a route and each in its own measure, suitable to local tastes and values of course. What is deemed most valuable in the Verdon Gorge is NOT the same as what may be deemed most valuable in Yosemite.

Trad climbers *tend* to value routes as artistic creations. Chuckle all you want, they do. They/we/us liken trad ground up first ascents to artistic creations (under stress). No need to strawman this point.... the *belief* in this process is concrete I assure you.

Sport climbers *tend* to view routes as a commodity. Its like the gym, OK let's see we have 1 8, 2 9's, 3 10s, a few 11s a coupla 12s and one god knows what it is but no one but Chuck can climb it. In the gym routes have little to no value at all.

Show up at some well prepared sport crag and what is the value of any given route? That's easy - somewhere between $0 and $300, generally speaking. Don't like this 5.9 face climb? Move 15 feet down the cliff to the next $145 route and climb that one instead.

I don't want to make this a sport/trad thing. Its more a preservation point I'm circling.

If we are to preserve our past, our heritage, (and why WOULDN'T WE want to do that???) we have to make some choices, ie what to keep and what to pave over.

We have to assign VALUE to routes, we HAVE TO, ALL OF US.

Now you may say that bachar route doesn't mean a goddamn thing to you, 0 value. Salude. But this isn't just about you... or is it?

If its just about you I have a newsflash for you.... you are free, RIGHT NOW, to go retrobolt bachar's route. No one can legally stop you. Making it all about you however, will result in one surety... your bolts will be chopped and your outrage will be repaired.

Because even if you think its ALL ABOUT YOU there are hundreds, thousands of othes who will be just as adamant it is NOT all about you, and a scant few will demonstrate this point using a cold chisel.

But what is the value of a route and what makes it worth preserving? IN the Valley and in the Meadows a premium has been placed on 'Classics', one uber difficulty climbs, on BOLD climbs and on a few climbs done by specific forefathers, such as Harding or Robbins.

These guys aren't Chuck down at the gym and the routes they opened aren't commodities at all.... in most cases they are singularities.

Abberation???? What are you talking about Gabe??? The Nose gone free is an abberation, shall we sport bolt that too, just because there is only one?

Is homogenization even a WORTHY TOPIC? Why must we have a row of gym-like 9s that no one even cares to name??? What is the value in that? And if you DO find value in that, whyn't take it upon yourselves to open such routes in a new area. I assure you all, the potential is there. Even in the Meadows, for those willing to walk.

I concede that one of the values we assign to routes is how close to the road they are. How little energy we expend to get to them. Placing a premium on that aspect of a route leads to conflict in some cases, as there are only so many 'close to the road' routes to be done at any given area.

John Bachar was arguably the greatest rock climber in the world at one point. Many of his peers, who still crank 12s aqnd 13s feel he was. Bachar, one year after breaking his neck is free soloing 12s again. This isn't a Milktoast people, he's one of the greats.

His name belongs, rightly so I would add, along side Robbins, Pratt, Harding, Haan, and a host of others, the pantheon of climbing gods.

I'm not asking you to worship them, they're men and women, just like us, feet of clay and all.

What I'm saying and have said and will continue to say is that our past is worth preserving, in the world as it were, and not just behind a display case in the Ahwannee Hotel.

I urge yall to avoid the temptation to commidify the entire world with indistingusihable, nearly valueless routes. I make the claim there is room for all, and even in the same areas. There are sport routes in the Meadows, tolerated and climbed daily in season.

But the reputation for boldness is REAL. It is not made up. Yes a climber can always find safe routes there but to be fair.... you run out of SAFE (in the modern sense) 8s and 9s VERY QUICKLY.

So there is pressure to create more commidity routes, if for no other reason to alleviate the queues at the other ones. But it won't work because as soon as you open the next one the queue forms. Then pretty soon you have 12, 14, 25 routes lining the flanks of a cliff, with names no one can remember.

That 8 over there.

Let's do that 9.

Who opened these routes? Who cares? How did rock climbing even get invented anyway? Who put the bolts in?

Routes I will never see, much less climb, I KNOW in my bones are worth preserving. Why? Because hundreds, thousands even, of my peers who do KNOW those routes have told me so. And I'm telling yall now. If you're hearing all this for the first time, well I guess I'm the lucky bloke to break it to you.

If not then I urge you to remember this.... you did not invent this sport. We each stand upon the shoulders of those who came before us. Value OUR past because its YOUR past too. This isn't a us/them thing.

Dudes we're TRIBAL. Don't you get it? Fireside tales, the verbal history, the routes, the experiences, the friendships and the arguments and the rivalries, all part and pacel to the fabric of climbing.

REVEL IN IT! You don't have to ever climb a bachar route to appreciate the man. But if we pave over all the routes he opened, who will ever have the opportunity to know?

One last point to circle the wagons - the value of a route. Think about what goes into the valuation of a route... then reread bachar's comment in that light.

I submit our past is worth preserving. I don't think we need committees or government intervention either. I suggest all we need is common respect for one another. I won't retro yours if you won't retro mine. I won't chop yours, you don't chop mine. I won't cut your style down, you don't cut mine.

These are simple principles. Don't over commodify our sport, it cheapens it for everyone.

Cheers
DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Sep 13, 2007, 2:33 PM)

neon_monk

Sep 13, 2007, 3:26 PM
Post #65 of 88 (7196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of people on this thread that are asking what the "rules" should be, and who are coming up with complicated hypotheticals with an eye toward making those rules look stupid.

Well, it isn't about rules. It's about community, and the sort of norms and, yes, ethics, that we ought to have. The FA precedent means you have to think. If you see a route whose style you disagree with, that you think should have bolts or should have them removed, you have to think about your position. You have to talk to the FAist and/or to the community, and reach a conclusion.

That's why the precedent isn't a rule. Sometimes people decide to retrobolt; sometimes people decide to chop. But you have to think about the consequences.

And when you put up a new route, the FA precedent means you have to think about your own responsibility. It's good to have a sense that the community will respect your style, but it means you should think about whether your style was about your ego, or a real expression of ethics. If you grid-bolt something or run it out too dangerously, you should know that you've left the community with a serious issue.

None of this should be about staking out territories and laying claim to the rock. To claim that you own a route because you got the FA is is stupid as to claim that you have a right to make all routes into your own style. We all owe it to ourselves and to each other to think about whatever we do.

Partner cracklover

Sep 13, 2007, 3:43 PM
Post #66 of 88 (7186 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Abberation???? What are you talking about Gabe??? The Nose gone free is an abberation, shall we sport bolt that too, just because there is only one?

Nope. I think you're purposefully missing my point. The question I was raising was whether this climb was an abberation for the ethic in Tuolomne. That's the only relevant question from my vantage point. I think the answer is: well, maybe a little, but christ, Bachar said it's the hardest thing he's ever done, and in my mind, sure, that alone is reason enough to leave it be.

In reply to:
Why must we have a row of gym-like 9s that no one even cares to name???

Thanks, that's the best example of a straw man argument so far in the thread. Perfect example, thanks for sharing.

GO

dingus

Sep 13, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #67 of 88 (7175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Nope. I think you're purposefully missing my point. The question I was raising was whether this climb was an abberation for the ethic in Tuolomne. That's the only relevant question from my vantage point.

Really? OK, imo it is 100% in synch with the Tuolume ethic and tradition.

Cheers
DMT

shockabuku

Sep 13, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #68 of 88 (7175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
clearly you've missed my point.

I didn't miss it, I just may not agree with it to the level that you do. It's a pretty deep topic to try to debate using this medium. It would probably best be discussed in person over a beer (or scotch).

dingus

Sep 13, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #69 of 88 (7161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
In reply to:

Thanks, that's the best example of a straw man argument so far in the thread. Perfect example, thanks for sharing.

GO

I attributted that to no one (ie inserting words into someone's mouth). I didn't pretend you or anyone else said it and I didn't even answer it per se.

Its a rhetorical question in the line of thinking of how we all may go about the process of route valuation.

But whatever. I'm happy with that post. I'm not being divisive here. And as a bonus I've actually seen the route. (its a mind boggling thing to comtemplate climbing!)

DMT

bob_54b

Sep 13, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #70 of 88 (7153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you that if this is not worthy of preserving, what is?

It is, as you say, a monument to Bachar, but that can be taken not only as a monument to the man, but as a monument to an ideal, which I think goes to the essence of trad climbing: committment. That's the bringing into play of mental and emotional qualities that make climbing more than just hitting a ball around the pavement (thanks, John Long). It's makes it a real human endeavor at the most intense level.

I know a lot of people think that is pretty silly these days. And now that I have a child and responsibilities to her, I am personally not willing to go to that limit any more.

But I do think that climbs as these should be left as they are so that future kids can see what they are made of. Don't deny the future the chance to feel what John Bachar felt when he completed that climb.

I hung out in the Valley a lot in the late 70s and I did a lot of free soloing in those days and bouldered some with Bachar and those guys. Theirs was not just some ego thing totally, it was also a great portion of ideals and trying to push a great tradition to it's logical end point.

If you don't feel you can do that sort of thing, then you shouldn't and there is no shame in that, because it is waaaay out on the edge. There are many other climbs you can go on and feel a great sense of accomplishment without that.

I say leave those climbs alone.

Thanks for opening this can of worms, dingus.

Partner cracklover

Sep 13, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #71 of 88 (7151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [degaine] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

degaine wrote:
cracklover wrote:

degaine wrote:
I like how Tuolumne always comes up in these
discussions, as if it is some bastion of unprotected, death routes. I’ve climbed there a lot – less than some and more than others – and have never, ever, ever, ever, never, ever, never had trouble finding high quality, well-protected climbs. Sure, Tuolumne is known for it’s slab runouts, but it ain’t short on well protected climbs for the under 5.10a climber. Top that off with the fact that very, very, very often the technical crux of the well know run out climbs is well protected (Hoodwink, for example) and the run out or X portions of the climbs are those pitches with a significantly lower rating than the crux pitch.

So from that vantage point, this particular climb of Bachar's is an aberration.

FYI, I made an edit to my initial statement to clarify and added the highligted / italics portion "of well known run out climbs".

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post. In Tuolumne there really is something for everyone, bold test pieces if you like or well protected climbs.

Well, my understanding of the ethic in Tuolumne, reinforce by your post, is that they liked it bold, with minimal fixed gear, but attempted, for the most part, to try to protect cruxes and belays. As such, the climb Dingus mentions, with no belays, and potentially no gear at all (dunno, are there knobs solid and big enough to sling? Are there cracks he didn't use?) is something of an aberration. Perhaps you don't like that word? How about "is fairly far outside the norm for the protection left behind by the leader."

In reply to:
cracklover wrote:
That this is a route out of somewhat out of character for the area.

It really isn't, it's perfectly in line with the character of many FA's, as are the well protected (read cracks) routes.

Maybe so. Is my understanding - clarified above, incorrect?

In reply to:
cracklover wrote:
And in this case, it seems highly debatable that the line in it's current state is in tune with the local ethic, and is the best use of that real estate.

What know you of the local ethic ? You wrote in the first line of your post that you’ve never climbed in Tuolumne.

Just what I've read. I don't claim any authority I don't have.

In reply to:
cracklover wrote:
But... so what?

GO

What do you mean, “as long as he lives”? What if the overwhelming majority of people who climb regularly in Tuolumne prefer that the route remain as is, long after his death, your death and even mine?

Then that's how it'll be, and how it should be, IMHO. All I'm doing is trying to look at the merits of the situation, as an admitted outsider, and think about it. I believe that's the point of the thread. What I meant by the above was that if the route is sufficiently out of character with the area, and enough other reasons are there to retrobolt it, perhaps folks will wait to do so out of respect.

GO

Partner cracklover

Sep 13, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #72 of 88 (7139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
cracklover wrote:
In reply to:

GO

I attributted that to no one (ie inserting words into someone's mouth). I didn't pretend you or anyone else said it and I didn't even answer it per se.

Its a rhetorical question in the line of thinking of how we all may go about the process of route valuation.

It's also massive hyperbole that no-one is suggesting, but is vaguely attributed as the "alternative".

In reply to:
<snip>And as a bonus I've actually seen the route. (its a mind boggling thing to comtemplate climbing!)

DMT

I'll bet! I would love to climb in Tuolumne. It looks beautiful.

Cheers,

GO

dingus

Sep 13, 2007, 4:29 PM
Post #73 of 88 (7127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
It's also massive hyperbole that no-one is suggesting, but is vaguely attributed as the "alternative".

I can live with that.

DMT

Partner angry

Sep 13, 2007, 4:33 PM
Post #74 of 88 (7119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious.

Who here, by a raise of hands, has ever free soloed at the 5.9 level?

Who here has onsight free soloed at least at the 5.9 level, on slab, multipitch, in the middle of nowhere, unsure what the climbing would bring, with no-one around?

If your hand isn't in the air right now, how can you possibly have any valuable insight to Bachar's accomplishments? Bolts do not belong. I'd rant more, but it's hard to type with one hand in the air.

bob_54b

Sep 13, 2007, 4:52 PM
Post #75 of 88 (7092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] A Remarkable Statement [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

admittedly we should all be out there doing something instead of gassing away on some website.

have free soloed up to 10a, but not on sight, and usually cracks, steeper face with some positive holds. don't think I ever f soloed any hard friction like that, just seemed so tenuous to me. scary in fact, so I guess 1/4 hand in the air.

(This post was edited by bob_54b on Sep 13, 2007, 5:03 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook