Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

shoo

Sep 8, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #1 of 26 (6422 views)
Shortcut

Gym job pay question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking into applying for a job at a rock gym in a major metropolitan area. I'm essentially applying for a part time belay tester/front desk job and for a second part time job as a climbing instructor on the weekends.

I've been teaching basic climbing for 3 years as the leader of a university mountaineering club and as a staff member on a camp's 65 foot climbing tower/high ropes course.

What kind of pay might I expect for either position? I ask because part of the application is an expected hourly wage.

mturner

Sep 8, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Part time belay tester - ~$10-15
front desk job - ~$8-10
Climbing Instructor - ~$12-18

But then again if they're asking you, they probably want to know how much you want to make.

jaybro

Sep 8, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are qualified, do private instruction and negotiate a large part of the take, that's the only way to make a living wage at a climbing gym.

shoo

Sep 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 26 (6249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaybro] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not looking for a living wage. I'm a student. I'm looking for a reasonable job with fun benefits. Also, I'm 21, and therefore invincible and don't need health insurance.

cintune

Sep 8, 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 26 (6245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What mturner said. And you get to meet great people, for the most part.

EPiCJAMES

Sep 9, 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #6 of 26 (6206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Not looking for a living wage. I'm a student. I'm looking for a reasonable job with fun benefits. Also, I'm 21, and therefore invincible and don't need health insurance.

don't need health insurance? stupidest shit i've heard all day. (although i haven't read any of majids posts yet) EVERYONE in america needs health insurance. the only way to get free medical help is to be here illegally. and if that's the case, get the fuck out!

shoo

Sep 9, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #7 of 26 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At the (admittedly stupid) risk of starting a flame war, you can get free medial care if you go to the emergency room with an actual emergency. They have to treat you regardless of your ability to pay. If you can't, the taxpayers and/or the owners of the hospital absorb the costs. Oh, and it's perfectly legal.

That's america.

. . .

Flame away.

rock_fencer

Sep 9, 2007, 2:02 AM
Post #8 of 26 (6124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At BU we get paid $18+ an hour to teach. .50 cents raise a year

cheers

EPiCJAMES

Sep 9, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #9 of 26 (6118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
At the (admittedly stupid) risk of starting a flame war, you can get free medial care if you go to the emergency room with an actual emergency. They have to treat you regardless of your ability to pay. If you can't, the taxpayers and/or the owners of the hospital absorb the costs. Oh, and it's perfectly legal.

That's america.

. . .

Flame away.

yes, they have to treat you. but they still bill you. if you decide to bail on it, one random tuesday you'll get a letter in the mail stating you owe X amount of dollars at a 10% interest rate. happened to my roomate. he got fucked. they absorb the costs, sell the debt to an outside agency, raise prices on health care, and still gut you for everything. yes, that sure is america. health insurance isn't expensive man. go to esurance.com or something and get a plan for $30 a month. if you're that cheap, then you shouldn't be climbing.

jaybro

Sep 9, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #10 of 26 (6098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:

Go for it shoo! You've thought around the bases, do it now, before health issues, alimony, and general older age crankiness, take their toll! I'm with you, really! post pictures!
your friend Jay

climbordie7

Sep 9, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #11 of 26 (6046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i work at the local rock gym in my home town, i started at minimum wage, which is like $5.15, and got $0.50 raises every six months or so now i am paid $6.85
my job entitles belay testing, harnessing, front counter occasionally, during the summer i am a camp counselor and trainor for young teens to children like 6 and up. it is a rough job. i would expect that workig as a climbing instructor would be between you and the student or session by session thing. certain amount per lesson incase they decide to quit or something. this really depends on what city you are talking about,
i live in Louisiana and most of our cliantel is unexperienced first timers or birthdays, with some regular climbers that are pretty good.

matterunomama

Sep 9, 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #12 of 26 (5991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
.... Also, I'm 21, and therefore invincible and don't need health insurance.

Oh boy. Hopefully, you are making a joke. Take a look at the thread "looking for assistance" in the Injuries and Accidents section.

Hopefully, you have insurance thru your school or your parents. This biggest cause of serious accident and death in young men is the automobile/motorcycle..second cause is probably daring sports, because you are invincible...
Love,
Mom

mturner

Sep 10, 2007, 2:54 AM
Post #13 of 26 (5897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama wrote:
shoo wrote:
.... Also, I'm 21, and therefore invincible and don't need health insurance.

Oh boy. Hopefully, you are making a joke. Take a look at the thread "looking for assistance" in the Injuries and Accidents section.

Hopefully, you have insurance thru your school or your parents. This biggest cause of serious accident and death in young men is the automobile/motorcycle..second cause is probably daring sports, because you are invincible...
Love,
Mom

Actually sports are pretty low in mortality. Accidents, Homicide, suicide, cancer, and heart disease are top five for 15-24 year olds. Still, accidents (of all types) happen...that's why you have insurance ideally.

shoo

Sep 10, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #14 of 26 (5877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just so everyone knows, I do in fact have health insurance. The above was a joke. Now back to topic. Would an expected pay of $8.50 per hour be appropriate? If I just get a desk job, maybe drop it to $7 or $7.50?

climbordie7

Sep 10, 2007, 4:33 AM
Post #15 of 26 (5871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think you will be able to pull that off unless the minimum wage where you live is that high, usually employers aren't going to pay one employee they just hired more than they pay other members of their staff, and there is also the probation period that must be considered. your expectations maybe a bit too high, just b/c you are in college dose't mean you get paid more for doing the same part time job. try the climbing lessons gig if you want to get some quick cash. working at a gym isn't that simple though.

at my gym the employees are also considered the life guards, we are first aid certified, and cpr certified, and we have to watch the gym at all times, basically it our responsibility to catch any falls that occur if at all possible. it is an insurance issue. and our gym is probably one of the safest in the country because of this. except for the fact that i mentioned earlier that most of our clientel are noobs.

scottb

Sep 10, 2007, 5:52 AM
Post #16 of 26 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got $8/hr for front desk, belay test, birthday party duty, route setting and teaching the occasional class.
Chances are that they just gave you a standard employment application and will pay you whatever their base pay is. I could be wrong though.
Asking for $8.50 seems fair.

sinrtb

Sep 10, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #17 of 26 (5727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EPiCJAMES wrote:
shoo wrote:

That's america.

. . .

Flame away.

yes, they have to treat you. but they still bill you. if you decide to bail on it, one random tuesday you'll get a letter in the mail stating you owe X amount of dollars at a 10% interest rate. happened to my roomate. he got fucked. they absorb the costs, sell the debt to an outside agency, raise prices on health care, and still gut you for everything. yes, that sure is america. health insurance isn't expensive man. go to esurance.com or something and get a plan for $30 a month. if you're that cheap, then you shouldn't be climbing.

Ya they did that to me. I don't need plastic though so its not like that bill bothers me none. Besides that was 12 years ago and they quit calling 4 or so years ago.

matterunomama

Sep 10, 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #18 of 26 (5707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Just so everyone knows, I do in fact have health insurance. The above was a joke. Now back to topic. Would an expected pay of $8.50 per hour be appropriate? If I just get a desk job, maybe drop it to $7 or $7.50?

$8.50 seems reasonable; my local gym pays $8.50-$10; the higher rate is for people who can also do "getting started" class or show some other skill, which may only be being good at customer relations as opposed to being a dull-witted belay slave. For true lessons, the teacher gets a cut of the lesson charge. Setters are paid per route. I think the belay slaves called in to work b-day parties make $7.50/hr.

jibsta

Sep 16, 2007, 2:22 AM
Post #19 of 26 (5559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shit, you do it becuase you love it and the sport, but the bennefits of free mebership and climing on your brakes make it worth it all. Especially if you know the manager.Smile

jewels_vegas

Sep 18, 2007, 4:16 AM
Post #20 of 26 (5449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jibsta] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Asking for a low pay rate like 8.00 is a good idea. Be clear with them that you are in fact willing to work for this amount. I've asked for too much in the past and have been turned down in favor of a non climber or a high school kid who will do the same job for much less.

coastal_climber

Sep 18, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #21 of 26 (5365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jewels_vegas] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats minimum wage in the states?

>Cam

themadmilkman

Sep 18, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #22 of 26 (5328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
Whats minimum wage in the states?

>Cam

Currently $5.85 an hour, with increases in the next two years to $6.55 and $7.25 respectively. Several states, however, have enacted higher minimum wage laws. Seeing as the OP is from Massachusetts, the lowest he can be paid is $7.50, I believe.

the_leech

Sep 19, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #23 of 26 (5250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
I'm looking into applying for a job at a rock gym in a major metropolitan area.

The bottom line is this: Unless you are a college student or retiree, working at a climbing gym likely means you are a loser with no marketable skills to get a real job. As such, you shouldn't earn more than minimum wage.

matterunomama

Sep 21, 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #24 of 26 (5169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Gym job pay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
shoo wrote:
I'm looking into applying for a job at a rock gym in a major metropolitan area.

The bottom line is this: Unless you are a college student or retiree, working at a climbing gym likely means you are a loser with no marketable skills to get a real job. As such, you shouldn't earn more than minimum wage.

"The Leech" indeed. A good gym pays its people well and expects them to perform. A bad one stiffs them and considers them disposable. If they are doing a management job, or one with any responsibility, they should be compensated.Even the lowest 'belay slave' job at a gym involves responsibility, so it should be paid better than you would pay a cashier or fast food worker. Any way, he SAID he was a college student, so its a nice position, 'cool' job, free climbing. And it beats cocktail waitressing or being the 'lunch lady' at the food service.

trisgo

May 1, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #25 of 26 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hopefully more then I make. $7.50/hr part time belay bitch.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook