Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
problem finding the correct trail/spot.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ichaelme

Sep 26, 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1587 views)
Shortcut

problem finding the correct trail/spot.  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: South_Western: McAfee)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, i am planning on going bouldering at mcafee maybe this weekend or next week sometime. 2 weeks ago me and a friend tried to find the spot, we pulled into the a parking lot at the top of the mountain about 6 miles down but weren't sure that we were at the correct spot... we ended up driving down the road a bit and climbing at dragons tooth.
my question is, do i start hiking along the app trail that starts from the parking lot? what is the fire trail?
i guess i will use the latitude and longitude points posted under directions, but what trail do i go on from there?
IF ANYONE HAS ANY HELP IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED
thanks!

cragmasterp

Sep 26, 2007, 2:51 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ichaelme] problem finding the correct trail/spot. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Park at the top of the mountain in the big parking lot. cross the road. the fire road is on the left side of the rock outcropping and the AT is on the right. both will take you to the top where the really good boulders are. The AT is a nicer hike but is longer. The fire road has boulders along it on the way up to where the AT crosses it and goes up to the summit. You should join the AT at this point to get to the summit if you have been hiking the fire road. It is about 3.5 miles to the summit from the parking area if you take the AT. It is less than 1 mile on the fire road to the first set of boulders.

There is great bouldering just before the summit, and just past it (devils kitchen area). If you have all day, I highly recommend going all the way to the top and exploring.

That should get you there bro. enjoy, and don't feed the bears.

ichaelme

Sep 27, 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] problem finding the correct trail/spot. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a bunh cragmasterp.
that makes alot of sense, (I had no idea i had to cross the road)
i really appreciate it mate

justroberto

Oct 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ichaelme] problem finding the correct trail/spot. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot me a pm if you head up McAfees soon - I certainly don't mind showing you around...

ichaelme

Oct 2, 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] problem finding the correct trail/spot. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah man, I most definitely will. i live in Raleigh,NC though ,so it probably will be a while before i am driving up again.

I did manage to find the entrance spot and me and my little brother checked it out
(my little bro is nine years old, so we didn't get far without lots of complaining).

but i did get to the first two sets of rocks, better than i had expected. its really a beautiful spot

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook