RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

stonefoxgirl

Sep 26, 2007, 4:14 PM
Post #1 of 16 (6005 views)
Shortcut

Novasure
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need to know if anyone has gone through this procedure. If you are willing to share I would appreciate it. PM or post up is fine. Here are some questions I have. Did you have apprehentions before making such a change. How did your body react? Are you happy with your decision? Side affects? Abnormal changes? Cost? Everything good and bad! Novasure is so new, I want to know others' experiences.
Thanks!

(This post was edited by stonefoxgirl on Sep 26, 2007, 4:55 PM)

granite_grrl

Sep 27, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #2 of 16 (5938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only did a quick peek on google to find out what you're talking about, but I didn't want to get too heavey into the sites it brought up while I'm here at work.

Could you explain a little more of what the procedure is? I don't think its something I need or want to do, but I am curious.

gumbelina

Sep 28, 2007, 1:32 AM
Post #3 of 16 (5891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl-I don't have any personal experience with the Novasure procedure, but I had what I am presuming are similar issues to what might lead you to consider it. The solution that worked for me was a Mirena IUD; I had one for five years, just had it replaced last month, and couldn't be happier. For the first year after having it inserted my periods dwindled down each month, and ever since they range from nothing at all to maybe just a tiny bit of spotting. No more being out of commission for multiple days, no more cramps, no more carrying feminine products all the time. Having really effective contraception rocks too, and if Mr Gumbie and I ever decide to try for some little Gumbies it's easily reversible. Mirena is hormonal, where having Novasure done is not, so that is something to consider.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

lhwang

Sep 29, 2007, 3:07 PM
Post #4 of 16 (5816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not speaking from personal experience, but as far as I know, they don't recommend endometrial ablation unless you're done childbearing. I don't know if that's a concern for you.

Also, have you had a pelvic ultrasound done to rule out things like fibroids and endometrial polyps? I've never seeen the novasure procedure done but there are other ways of doing ablations that involve actually visualizing the endometrium, which can be both diagnostic and therapeutic.

Good luck with your decision.

tallgirl

Sep 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #5 of 16 (5803 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by tallgirl [In reply to]
Report this Post

Partner macherry

Sep 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #6 of 16 (5801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i believe the procedure is for heavy menstrual bleeding not for birth control.

tallgirl

Sep 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #7 of 16 (5800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought it was a method of birth control. Apologies.

clee03m

Sep 30, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 16 (5763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ihwang is right about not doing it if you may want to become pregnant in the future. Quote from their website:

NovaSure is a procedure for premenopausal women for whom childbearing is complete.

stonefoxgirl

Oct 1, 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #9 of 16 (5737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
I need to know if anyone has gone through this procedure. If you are willing to share I would appreciate it. PM or post up is fine. Here are some questions I have. Did you have apprehentions before making such a change. How did your body react? Are you happy with your decision? Side affects? Abnormal changes? Cost? Everything good and bad! Novasure is so new, I want to know others' experiences.
Thanks!

Hi everyone, yes I am completely aware of the purpose of having the Novasure procedure done. I am not using it as a means for birth control and I do not want children. I do want my periods to lessen or go away. I have reposted my questions, if you can answer them, please do. I have done the research but I am looking for personal experience about the things the doctors, brochures and websites might not tell you.
Thanks,
Leslie

acacongua

Oct 1, 2007, 9:38 PM
Post #10 of 16 (5709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe try this site where many women post about reproductive, health, etc. issues.

http://www.aphroditewomenshealth.com/forums

Best of luck!

wiki

Oct 4, 2007, 2:13 AM
Post #11 of 16 (5632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gumbelina] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gumbelina wrote:
stonefoxgirl-I don't have any personal experience with the Novasure procedure, but I had what I am presuming are similar issues to what might lead you to consider it. The solution that worked for me was a Mirena IUD; I had one for five years, just had it replaced last month, and couldn't be happier. For the first year after having it inserted my periods dwindled down each month, and ever since they range from nothing at all to maybe just a tiny bit of spotting. No more being out of commission for multiple days, no more cramps, no more carrying feminine products all the time. Having really effective contraception rocks too, and if Mr Gumbie and I ever decide to try for some little Gumbies it's easily reversible. Mirena is hormonal, where having Novasure done is not, so that is something to consider.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Seconded! My period has gone from super heavy and painful to almost non-existent.

And if you ever change your mind about kids, it has no long term effects Wink

wjca

Oct 4, 2007, 7:04 PM
Post #12 of 16 (5594 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by wjca [In reply to]
Report this Post

tigerlilly

Oct 7, 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #13 of 16 (5529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"a hysterectomy will be required in approximately 22% of cases."

That's scary. Shocked

Kathy

coolbeansoh

Nov 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #14 of 16 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the Novasure procedure at the end of August. I did it because I just did not want to go through the monthly ordeal of my period anymore. The procedure itself was very easy and painless. I was most uncomfortable with the hysteroscopy that is done prior to the procedure. It's a necessary evil where they need to take a tissue sample to make sure that you can have the Novasure procedure. Cost wise, my insurance covered all the costs, I had to pay for my regular office visit copay with each visit plus buy my pre and post-op medications so my out of pocket costs came out to be around $200 total. I wasn't sure even a month after the procedure whether or not it was a good idea since I was still having some discharge but I can say now after not having any bleeding since the first week of October I am so glad I did it. If you are thinking about doing it ask your Doctor to explain it all to you. Mine was great and talked me through everything. Good Luck. I hope I helped.

stonefoxgirl

Nov 12, 2007, 4:33 PM
Post #15 of 16 (5235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolbeansoh] Novasure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate you sharing more that the obvious "internet research".........which I had done, as well as talked to my doc as well as requesting medical info before a consultation..........I was looking for exactly what you gave me. I have questions. Kids are not an issue and I do not nor have I ever wanted to take birth control. THIS, sounds like a good option. Things have gotten out of hand on a monthly basis. I want to know if this is a quick fix to cramps, PMS, bloating etc.? Is there any maintenence involved down the road? Thanks!!!!

coolbeansoh

Nov 12, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #16 of 16 (5213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been about 2 months since I had it done and so far no maintenance. It is not a birth control method however. My doctor was quick to tell me that it would still be possible to get pregnant since you still produce eggs but as my doctor explained to me since there is no longer any lining for them they are absorbed into your body(don't ask me to explain how; he compared it to a man getting a vasectomy) I have no more cramps or bloating which is a plus. If you ever do want to have kids in the future then this would not be the way to go. I hope this helps let me know if you have anymore questions.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook